Prediction The rest of the 2017 season - What becomes of the broken hearted

Remove this Banner Ad

Again a thread for the bye rounds so we can ruminate over what the rest of 2017 will bring us.

As for me, I see:

Give us your thoughts be them serious or in jest on what we will see in the season to come after the bye.

In all seriousness it has become clear that we are 12 months away. Particular players (Viney, Trac, ANB, Hogan when fit/not rubbed out, TMac, our wings) aren't consistently impacting...yet. Add in the ruck disaster and it's a real issue.

We are very very close.

Oliver is going to go down with Flower and Barassi as one of the best Melbourne mids ever.

I would like Gawn back please.

Also at some stage in 2017 I would like my ferocious hangover to go away.
ahhhh self inflicted! Here I was doling out sympathy with wishes of a speedy recovery.... now I laff and say suffer cos I'm in the same boat ahhhhahahahahaa.... ohhh my aching head!!! (Stupid state of origin night)

I think we'll go on a run of wins at some point (after Max and Hogan return) We'll beat the teams we should, beat some teams we shouldn't and secure a spot in the 8, although we won't make much of an impact come finals time.

While we're on this run, the talk in the media will be about how they probably underrated the impact of our injuries, and that things were actually pretty positive regardless of our 5-5 record.

We've been pretty unlucky, losing all of our close games (though poor to be in that position in the first place), and having players go down in the others. If we can fix up our slow starts and get better at building/defending leads, rather than fighting the uphill battle every game then we will win a lot more games.

I believe our poor starts are a misnomer. Garry Lyon is correct; we play better when we are underdogs and forfeiting a string of early goals to the opposition ironically reduces the pressure. We then play with more freedom which noticeably allows goody's "fearless" game style to come to the fore. It's this same aversion to pressure that more often than not triggers us to lose the ones we should win ie home games at the G against teams lower on the ladder.

Weirdly I'm more confident of us winning the game when we concede early goals.

I believe our poor starts are a misnomer. Garry Lyon is correct; we play better when we are underdogs and forfeiting a string of early goals to the opposition ironically reduces the pressure. We then play with more freedom which noticeably allows goody's "fearless" game style to come to the fore. It's this same aversion to pressure that more often than not triggers us to lose the ones we should win ie home games at the G against teams lower on the ladder.

Weirdly I'm more confident of us winning the game when we concede early goals.

To be fair, we're 10 games in and conceded early goals in every one of them (perhaps Carlton game excepted), so I don't actually know how we'd go if we didn't!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It feels like we're up and down like a yoyo, honestly takes me back to early 2011 when everyone thought we'd make the jump but the season was just WLWL until the wheels fell off.

Strangely enough prior to this bye round, we were exactly where we were last year at round 10. 5 and 5. Not to worry though lads, we haven't got Carlton late in the season to sink our boat... Wait we do? *!

It feels like we're up and down like a yoyo, honestly takes me back to early 2011 when everyone thought we'd make the jump but the season was just WLWL until the wheels fell off.

Strangely enough prior to this bye round, we were exactly where we were last year at round 10. 5 and 5. Not to worry though lads, we haven't got Carlton late in the season to sink our boat... Wait we do? ****!
This is nothing like 2011 though. For one thing our losing margin is just over two goals, and we've suffered injuries at incredibly bad times

This is nothing like 2011 though. For one thing our losing margin is just over two goals, and we've suffered injuries at incredibly bad times
Agreed, the standard of games is different. Just that up and down feeling

Agreed, the standard of games is different. Just that up and down feeling
If we can win on QB I'm confident we'll string a few really good wins together. I fancy our chances of taking down the Bulldogs, and even WCE in Perth (particularly if JJK is still out), and then we have winnable games v Sydney and Carlton. Gotta take it one week at a time but if the midfield fires and Gawn and Hogan can come back and quickly gain some form we should be able to break into the 8 before the draw gets tough again.

If we can win on QB I'm confident we'll string a few really good wins together. I fancy our chances of taking down the Bulldogs, and even WCE in Perth (particularly if JJK is still out), and then we have winnable games v Sydney and Carlton. Gotta take it one week at a time but if the midfield fires and Gawn and Hogan can come back and quickly gain some form we should be able to break into the 8 before the draw gets tough again.

I said this like 6 weeks ago, it didn't go so well.

I said this like 6 weeks ago, it didn't go so well.
6 weeks ago is when our injury woes started though. Hopefully we're now getting over them, although I wouldn't be surprised if more players started going down. Frost settling down back is huge for us though.

It's upsetting that I'm more worried about losing to Collingwood and Sydney than I am to the Dogs or WCE...

QB is huge now with the West Coast loss, especially if the Pies get up today. Winner will be in the 8 more than likely.

QB is huge now with the West Coast loss, especially if the Pies get up today. Winner will be in the 8 more than likely.
TBH I find that the most ridiculous motivation - we should just be up and about to win an important game. Who cares if we're 6th or 9th after next round really? Even more so during the bye rounds with teams on an uneven footing. Just win games and the ladder will take care of itself.

TBH I find that the most ridiculous motivation - we should just be up and about to win an important game. Who cares if we're 6th or 9th after next round really? Even more so during the bye rounds with teams on an uneven footing. Just win games and the ladder will take care of itself.
Psychological. We know these players struggle to get over mental hurdles. Would be another step for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back