The Review

Who will leave as a result of the review?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our club is an unmitigated mess.

The review praising Chapman and Co is still one of the funniest things to happen to the club. Basically we're a complete shitshow, with cultural issues, an unhappy playing group and three senior football figures that had to go, but management were doing just great apparently.

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
He wasn't that bad

20191117_064612.jpg

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Sadly he was. Destroyed the fabric of the group and was a key driver in the culture of self preservation. Didn’t accept an ounce of responsibility for his part in our 22 getting completely out run in the GF. No surprise that his senior coaching career ended without success. Far too similar to Neil Craig in philosophy.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Graham Cornes: Did anything from the review surprise you?

Andrew Fagan: No, there really wasn’t anything that surprised me as such.

I actually wrote for myself some observations pre-review to see whether the independent review would be consistent with what I thought would come out.

Graham Cornes: You sat on the review.

Andrew Fagan: Elements, I was there for part of it.

Graham Cornes: You didn’t guide some of the outcomes, did you?

Andrew Fagan: No, no, no.

I didn’t ask questions.

I was there just as an observer for part of some of the sessions, at the request of Jason Dunstall.

It was important for context.

But things were mostly consistent with what I thought pre-review.

But let’s be clear about why we did the review.

The primary reason wasn’t necessarily because we hadn’t identified what the issues were.
It was primarily to ensure that two thing occurred.

The first was that nothing was left uncovered.

So we wanted the entire playing group and the entire football department staff and other key individuals, to all have the opportunity to contribute.

The independent nature of it ensured that they could speak fully and frankly and confidentially.

So that was important.

There were probably just some areas where maybe the breadth and depth of the issues among certain cohorts were either not as significant or slightly more significant than we thought they might be.

You only get to assess this when you speak with each and every person through a process such as this.

Graham Cornes: Can you give an example of that?

Andrew Fagan: (Long pause)….One of the examples was the extent to which people were feeling pressure and how it was impacting the way in which they were coming to the club every day.

Whether that was players or staff, some were genuinely feeling the pressure of the environment.

They weren’t enjoying it.

Through the review it was clear that a lot of people were feeling that pressure and it didn’t matter if you were a regular part of the AFL team or not.

Graham Cornes: Moving on. Why has it taken so long to find a head of football?

Andrew Fagan: The simple answer is that we just weren’t in a rush.

We wanted to do a couple of things.

The first is that we wanted to explore a whole lot of options.

Given that we had just made the appointment of the senior coach, we wanted to take some time for Matthew to settle in and look at what the dynamic was going to be like.

You rarely get an opportunity to effectively put a team together at almost the same time.

We have spoken to countless individuals about their interest in the role, but we have also targeted conversations with a range of individuals about candidates.

Some have had up to 25 reference checks on them. It’s been a thorough process.

Graham Cornes: Is that Craig Vozzo?

Andrew Fagan: Craig is contracted to West Coast.

He is a good guy and I enjoy working with him on the AFL Competition Committee.

But I’m not going to go through names.

Graham Cornes: Do you have to wait for a current contract to expire?

Andrew Fagan: It’s got nothing to do with an existing role, we haven’t been forced to have a delay.

It’s just been a process we’ve been working through.

We’ll make the appointment between now and Christmas.

We’re just going through our final checks.

Graham Cornes: So that’s a matter of days?

Andrew Fagan: Yeah. Probably next week.

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide
Imagine the club asking for members to keep paying membership if this happened last year 'pre-review'. Would have been financial carnage for the club.

Back