The Review

Who will leave as a result of the review?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
This will become the dominant talking point for the coming few weeks, so probs deserves it's own thread. Soz mods if one already exists - pls delete / merge as needed.

What do we expect?

Personally, I think there is way too much scrutiny now for them to get away with a claytons review, or one that isn't widely accepted as far reaching and independant. Might be wishful thinking, but when you've got apologists like Mark Bickley calling for full transparency, it gives an insight as to where the general mood is at. I don't think the board, and particularly Chapman, have anywhere to hide, which is friggin awesome.

Waste of time.

After reading Chapman's incredible interview last week it appears that in 2020 we will be already be "backing the board/coaching boys in".

The board has to be seen to be doing something to showing they have heard the criticism, so this is where the review comes in.

They can commission a review which will tell them that there are a few small areas to improve on, however they overall they will be pleased to say that they current structure and personnel are fine.

As this will frustrate most supporters as being inadequate, they can then just blame the consultants for this decision, rather than it being an internal club decision.

"We've had our external review, and these were their findings. What more do you want? A well respected organisation like x has just conducted a thorough process, and thankfully, there wasn't a whole lot to be changed."

It reminds me of what Neil Craig said when a reporter asked what he had learned on his off season overseas study tour while coach. He said it was a valuable experience because it reaffirmed that he was already doing all the right things.
A year later he was gone.

There won’t be a genuine review, and there won’t be any improvement in 2020.
I'm just not sure how they'll be able to justify not having a full blown, genuine review now. There's just too much scrutiny across the board now.

When apologists like Mark Bickley are starting to insist on it, they're in trouble (he actually had a crack at them re the 'review' they had last year, intimating that it was not transparent or genuine).

Here is the grim reality of our performance in 2019 and how far behind we really are from the Top 8.

Teams v teams in the Top 8. Taken from the Main Forum.

Its pretty damning. If Pyke and co even dare mention we won 2 games as some badge of honour. I will lose my s**t.

Both GWS and Tigers especially were hit hard by injury. Both teams really were in strong positions too, to be beat us.

2019-ladder-vs-top-8-jpg.733648

Here is the grim reality of our performance in 2019 and how far behind we really are from the Top 8.

Teams v teams in the Top 8. Taken from the Main Forum.

Its pretty damning. If Pyke and co even dare mention we won 2 games as some badge of honour. I will lose my s**t.

Both GWS and Tigers especially were hit hard by injury. Both teams really were in strong positions too, to be beat us.

2019-ladder-vs-top-8-jpg.733648
Thought we would be lower TBH.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The main question is why were we sitting pretty on 4th spot after round 13 (8W, 5 L) before the mid-season bye, only to then drop off an almighty cliff with only 2 wins in our remaining 9 games?

The review should at least start from the issues that caused our change in momentum. Who are the players, coaches, administrators that were part to blame in our horrific form reversal?!

I reckon this is the season where serious changes are going to be made, not unlike Port in their last season dishing off a fair few players by end of 2018.

We should crowd fund a crows fans independent review, not undertaken by one of the big 4 (I.e. opinions for hire).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chapman has already backed in Roo and Burton. Roo has backed in Burton and Fagan. Fagan has backed in everyone.

Everyone has backed each other in.

Its not going to be the kind of review we all want. It will just be into some procedural matters. Nothing will change. Everyone is already backed in.

The people that got us to this point are the same people that will be receiving the report from the review and the same people charged with acting upon any recommendations, so even if the report is scathing (it won't be), any implementation will be piecemeal at best, like everything else the club has done over the last 15 or so years.

Need a hard arse coach who won't take any s**t and to say s**t like it is. Not just be there to ride out the season with their massive pay cheque and being content.
Even if Pyke does not go, I do hope they get rid of some of the pathetic coaching staff.

This piss weak board won’t hire a tough coach because it will create conflict, our board doesn’t do that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The 5 who would have an immediate positive impact on our club if they were no longer associated with it.
1. Rob Chapman (I know your leaving but just leave now)
2. Mark Riccuito
3. Brett Burton
4. Scott Camporeale
5. Don Pyke

Closely followed by Reid, Hass, Hart, Fagan, Clarke.

Last edited:
1. Did the club play injured players?
2. Did this impact on win/losses?
3. What were the selection policies and especially in regards to
(a) youth
(b) experience
(c) form
(d) promise/expectation
(e) Long Term outlook

4. What happened at the Bye that created this ''funk'' or lack of effort?
5. Did the club play long term contracted players to the detriment of form , if so why?
6. Does the playing group ''fly as one'' or are there cliques that have impacted player management?

Club
1. Is the direction/focus of the Board and Club aimed at winning a flag or competing?
2. Do ALL members of the Board understand football and raise meaningful points at meetings?
3. Are Senior Staff in positions commensurate with their expertise and talent?
(a) if not do they have a mentor?
4. Has the Board approved contracts based on appeasing the supporter base rather than on football ability and requirement?
5. Are Senior Staff contracted based on managing the soft cap rather than getting the best person?
(a) is the club satisfied the best person is employed?

I could go on but its getting late and the Aussies need 2 more wickets

This is just a quick 20 minute thought bubble

The club is in such a weird place I can't see anything happening due to a tangled web of blame and reporting structured. But I also can't see nothing happening due to the total dysfunction at the club.

A vague wishlist for me:
  • Thorough review of current and historical dealings of the club. It's not an exaggeration that the current state is a result of more than 20 years of compounded mismanagement.
  • Freeze on current contract negotiations, but an early preliminary recommendation should be prepared and acted upon prior to the trade period.
  • The supposed Internal review should already be well underway, But any findings from the external review should supercede it.

IMO our biggest issue stems from the fact that our Chairman, CEO and COO all have zero interaction and involvement with the football department.

Any half decent review would highlight this.

There is too much power/responsibility in Ricciuto's hands. Even if he was the most competent operator going around, what happens if god forbid, something happens to him? Or he walks out and goes elsewhere?

It's just a completely unworkable hierarchy.

Chapman has to go right now and one of Fagan/Smart needs to be moved on and replaced with a football person.

If the club was genuine about the review it would have been completed by now. Doing it at the end of the season just limits the ability to replace anyone since all the good alternatives are already contracted for 2020.
Very curious to see what happens if the result of the review is that our coach, football manager and list manager need replacing. Players come back to training in Oct-Nov and the Draft is also Nov. At this rate Phil Harper will be running our list and taking pre season training.

Need a hard arse coach who won't take any s**t and to say s**t like it is. Not just be there to ride out the season with their massive pay cheque and being content.
Even if Pyke does not go, I do hope they get rid of some of the pathetic coaching staff.
Doing that is what has caused half the players to turn on him the way they have.

Back