Analysis The Richmond dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

Two piss easy flags and an asterisk flag. The one time they had to play a Melbourne team at the MCG they got embarrassed. Worst dynasty ever
I'll take the worst dynasty ever.

Top 4 next year for you guys hopefully, or has that ship sailed now?

They're as well drilled to their game plan as any team I've seen. The swarm forward is just so hard to stop.

Geelong showed how to beat it last night in that you have to be solid around clearances and break them down with quality kicking. I feel like maybe even Richmond of last year wouldn't have had the belief to come back from 22 points down. But Martin kicks a huge goal, Geelong suddenly feels the pressure a bit and didn't execute as well. And if you're slightly off against this Richmond side their relentless swarm forward of the ball will just kill you.

Talent wise I think 21 of their players are below what any of the other great sides of recent years have had. Basically I think they're a top 4 talent list with a gameplan that makes them a top 2 team and a single player that steps up so regularly in finals that they'll go down as a really great team.

After giving it a couple minutes of thought, I have come up with a blue print to beat Richmond.

Every club should recruit a rugby brute to tag him and who can match it physically with Martin.

All you need is to recruit a whole bunch of athletes(skills secondary), kick the ball(eyes closed) out of scrimmages to a part of the ground where players know how to exploit and then get to work.

It ain't that hard!

Last edited:
Since Essendon's great 2000 team. 17 of the last 20 premiership teams have been won by 6 different teams.

Hawthorn won 4 of 5
Brisbane won 3 of 4
Richmond won 3 of 3
Geelong won 3 of 5
West Coast 2 of 4
Sydney 2 of 5

Collingwood (1 of 4), Western Bulldogs, Port (1 of 2) snuck in a took one each.

Adelaide could have had a couple more if not for their stuff ups. Same with St Kilda but Adelaide certainly had more chances for sure.
Just shows that the competition is really not that even really

Daniel Rioli worst triple premiership player of all time? Done literally nothing for four season except play in 3 GFs.

I am sure some Richmond dickhead supporter will pot me for it but he was so ungracious when interviewed yesterday. 'Yeah Cyril's got 4, so I need one more, I am still pretty Young, only 23. Maurice is coming up as well so we have to get him one as well'. Meanwhile Dustin Martin is calling Gaz the GOAT and downplaying his individual performance in the coaches press conference after. He put in 11 touches 0 goals in 2017, when Richmond kicked a huge score. He put in 12 touches 1 goal, when they put up a huge score and smashed GWS. He put in 6 touches, 0 goals yesterday in another 12 goal performance by Richmond. Averages 11 touches, .8 goals as a small forward in a team that has been successful literally his entire career. A genuine bog average (at best) player carrying on like premierships fall out of the sky while genuine gun players around him carry him on their backs.

Talent wise I think 21 of their players are below what any of the other great sides of recent years have had. Basically I think they're a top 4 talent list with a gameplan that makes them a top 2 team and a single player that steps up so regularly in finals that they'll go down as a really great team.

3 flags now and still a bunch of Tigers players are underrated. I can only assume it’s because the Richmond game is not built around and does not really produce high individual stats.

If you don’t think players like Edwards and Grimes are top shelf then you haven’t been paying attention. There are more I could mention.

I am sure some Richmond dickhead supporter will pot me for it but he was so ungracious when interviewed yesterday. 'Yeah Cyril's got 4, so I need one more, I am still pretty Young, only 23. Maurice is coming up as well so we have to get him one as well'. Meanwhile Dustin Martin is calling Gaz the GOAT and downplaying his individual performance in the coaches press conference after. He put in 11 touches 0 goals in 2017, when Richmond kicked a huge score. He put in 12 touches 1 goal, when they put up a huge score and smashed GWS. He put in 6 touches, 0 goals yesterday in another 12 goal performance by Richmond. Averages 11 touches, .8 goals as a small forward in a team that has been successful literally his entire career. A genuine bog average (at best) player carrying on like premierships fall out of the sky while genuine gun players around him carry him on their backs.

Was injured half way through 2017 granny to be fair. I was right behind his goals in the 2017 Prelim, his performance that day was extraordinary.

The problem with judging where they are at is the game has changed so much since 2000. If we are talking about 'who would win a game between Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn or Brisbane', Richmond would lose to all 3, and get absolutely smashed off the park by Brisbane. No one will ever be as good as Brisbane, I don't care how many premierships Collingwood or Hawthorn won in a decade. Voss, Black, Akermanis, Power, Lappin will never be matched again for quality. People might want to talk about COLA, but they beat Essendon, who everyone knows was cheating at that time. Then you go and have 3 x 600 goal forwards and then Leppitsch, White, Scott x 2, Johnson in defence. Then throw in Premiership players from other clubs in Pike and Caracella as role players/ coming off the bench. We basically had to have 4 cracks at them, targeting players to combat them and only them to beat Brisbane. They beat Essendon as the reigning premier and team who had barely lost all year. They beat us and Collingwood as genuine contender sides in 02-03. We would have beaten anyone in 2004. Not only had we gone out and recruited to specifically combat Brisbane's physicality, but we were so pissed off, we were going to smash whoever was put in front of us, not dissimilar to Geelong in 2007 who had suffered similar heartbreak in finals. 2004 Port would have beaten 2020 Geelong by 10-15 goals.

The simple answer is, well no, Richmond aren't as good. But all 3 of the other 3 flag teams built their squads in the early- mid 2000s. No FA, No 18 teams. On face value Richmond have benefitted from being able to pick part GWS/ GCS for their players. But with 2 less clubs, the quality wouldn't be spread so thin. Richmond could be a 2 good-gun player a better side without the 2 expansion clubs. At the end of the day, Richmond can only beat who are in front of them and they have flogged 2 teams and won comfortably against another. It is pretty reflective of the diluted talent that they have been around for 4 years now and there really isn't another gun side that they have beaten. Adelaide were a one hit wonder, Brisbane are a young side that hasn't hit its peak yet and don't perform in finals, Geelong just don't perform in finals, Collingwood and WC were one hit wonders, and Port took it right up to them, but at the end of the day, if we went up against 2004 Brisbane that 119 would be in danger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 flags now and still a bunch of Tigers players are underrated. I can only assume it’s because the Richmond game is not built around and does not really produce high individual stats.

If you don’t think players like Edwards and Grimes are top shelf then you haven’t been paying attention. There are more I could mention.

Edwards and Grimes wouldn't get a game for 2001-3 Brisbane. Riewoldt wouldn't on 2017-20 form. Dusty goes into the midfield and is just another player. If you tried to sneak your 2020 players into any of the Geelong/Hawthorn/ Brisbane team's, you would struggle to find more than 5-7 players who would get picked ahead of their counterparts.

Was injured half way through 2017 granny to be fair. I was right behind his goals in the 2017 Prelim, his performance that day was extraordinary.

Put it this way, if I had 6 touches and zero goals, I wouldn't talk about raffling off premierships to my kin who haven't even been drafted yet.

I agree. Earlier this year I said that Rioli is overrated and that while Rioli can't do things Bolton can, Bolton can do everything Rioli can and more and this year has proven that with Bolton having a pretty decent grand final and showing ability to play in the middle. I thought the tigers would rue the loss of Butler who is much better than Rioli, but in the end it didn't matter that much. I thought he was good in the saints and power victories but his form has dropped off since his injury.

Even the most one-eyed Brisbane fans would find a spot for Grimes, Rance and Houli.

Rance only played in 1 of them, if you want him in the mix, you need to take out Lynch who never played a full game with him. Rance, Martin, 2017 Cotchin (off the bench). Grimes and Houli wouldn't get a game (maybe one of them off the bench). I genuinely can't think of another player. Arguably the only year Riewoldt would hold his spot was in 2018 when you didn't win. I am sure there is some fringe spud who played for Brisbane that never went on with it, but they would already be knocked out by the names I mentioned. Honestly Martin is the only player that clearly goes in. It is hard to rate defenders as it is played so differently now. Rance might offer alot more run than Leppitsch or Mal Michael (White would give him a run though) but the Brisbane defence would give up like 1 goal a game. They absolutely s**t on your 1 on 1 defense.

I agree. Earlier this year I said that Rioli is overrated and that while Rioli can't do things Bolton can, Bolton can do everything Rioli can and more and this year has proven that with Bolton having a pretty decent grand final and showing ability to play in the middle. I thought the tigers would rue the loss of Butler who is much better than Rioli, but in the end it didn't matter that much. I thought he was good in the saints and power victories but his form has dropped off since his injury.

I'd have Bolton at Port in a heartbeat. I wouldn't have Rioli as a SANFL top up, seems like a flaky bloke.

Good luck to ya's,well done, decent game to watch, ya pretty good.

But...... Im going to have to listen to your mob now for another 12 months (I have lots Tiges mates sadly).

For societal sanity, hope you dont make GF next year
Could very well get worse

If Richmond/Collingwood game we unfurl 2 flags so you can get to watch it

If you go further since the start of 2005
Hawks 4
(Geelong 3
Richmond 3
Sydney 2
West Coast 2

That means 14 premierships have been won by 5 sides in 16 years. Suggest to me the competition is not equal at all given there are 12 teams who dont event get close.

It’s working fine. In 2012 when free agency came in it was gonna help Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn dominate forever. While hapless teams like Richmond and Brisbane would never recover.

It hasn’t quite worked out that way. Teams will always put together great teams and dominate for a few years at a time. Just so long as every team feels like they can do it then it’s all good.

In the last 6 seasons we’ve had 13/18 make the top 4 at least once. That’s a pretty good rotation.

I don't know why but I just think since 2015 the quality of sides are not what they used to be in the sense that the top end isnt there as much as it used to be. In saying that the bottom is not quite as bad as it used to be either so that is a positive. I think Fremantle of 2013 would have smashed Richmond of 2020.

Why would think that they’d smash the 2020 Tigers when they struggled to beat the 2013 Tigers?

In 2013 that Freo team managed a 1 point win and a 27 point loss against a Tiger team team that had Ty Vickery, Luke McGuane, Ricky Petterd, Troy Chaplin, Jake King, Steve Morris, Jake Batchelor, Brad Helbig and Robbie Nahas.

If you look at how many Richmond players would get a game in the Lions 3 peat team.

Dusty yes.

Riewoldt probably ahead of Bradshaw.

Not many others if any.

Richard Hadley used to get a game for Brisbane. I’m sure you’d be able to find a spot for Cotchin, Rance, Tom Lynch, Prestia, Edwards, Houli, Grimes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back