the-rise-of-loud-and-opinionated-afl-media-is-reflective-of-a-wider-malaise

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Guardian article and I think he's right on

The article is spot on and I have recently quit the mainstream media so even within weeks of doing that I suddenly don't understand what this Horne-Francis stuff is all about any more, or what chapter it is up to. No more Footy Classified or The Couch or 360, and like the good man said, if I get a chance to catch Front Bar for a light hearted look at the game I will. No more Barrett, Cornes, King, Lyon it is all utter bullshit. The media deals have gotten way too big for the game when these clowns started saying Dusty needs to remember who pays his wages so they should have access to him whenever they want.

By comparison the sheer pleasure of watching a VFL game or a Sheffield Shield match online with the more relaxed, respectful and sincere commentary because no campaigner is watching is like an afternoon sea breeze on a hot day.

Last edited:

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
What about Lloyd's treatment of Marlion Pickett. Called him a faute hard man when he had a crack at the Swans player then didn't stand under a high ball. Now if you have watched Pickett play then you will know he is anything but a pretender when it comes to the tough stuff. He has stood under plenty of high balls, has dished out hits and taken them, but all with a hip and shoulder and all within the rules, well rules that he grew up playing.

The Swans player Pickett pushed whilst on the ground was the player who tried to take him out with a shepherd, but Pickett being old school reversed the action and told him so afterwards. That was edited out of Lloyd's highlights. The high ball, maybe he misread it, and that can happen, but no Lloyd called him out for not having the metal to stand under it. Then he bumped into another Swans player, which was a tad unnecessary granted and a little out of character, which Lloyd also called him out on, and perhaps fair enough, but he edited out the following bit where Pickett stopped after the bump, apologised and then helped him to his feet. Didn't suit the narrative

These ex-players should have a better feel for the game than that and it was just an easy hit, which Lloyd wasn't afraid of doing whilst a player, the irony lost on him.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Only problem with that was he referred to Cornes as a journalist. He’s a commentator.

But I would add that journalists being so obsessed with clicks, attention and fame these days are quickly becoming more like Cornes.

I doubt media companies have any regard for the art of journalism anymore.

Area51

All Australian
Jun 6, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I miss that journo that used to write great long footy related articles...canna remember his name...
Might have written them for The Age...
Jake Niall at the age is probably the best current sports reporter but it’s not like he has a huge amount of competition either

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I miss that journo that used to write great long footy related articles...canna remember his name...
Might have written them for The Age...
Jake Niall at the age is probably the best current sports reporter but it’s not like he has a huge amount of competition either
Not him...I think this journo has retired...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiger_4_Life

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
The article is spot on and I have recently quit the mainstream media so even within weeks of doing that I suddenly don't understand what this Horne-Francis stuff is all about any more, or what chapter it is up to. No more Footy Classified or The Couch or 360, and like the good man said, if I get a chance to catch Front Bar for a light hearted look at the game I will. No more Barrett, Cornes, King, Lyon it is all utter bullshit. The media deal have gotten way too big for the game when these clowns started saying Dusty needs to remember who pays his wages so they should have access to him whenever they want.

By comparison the sheer pleasure of watching a VFL game or a Sheffield Shield match online with the more relaxed, respectful and sincere commentary because no campaigner is watching is like an afternoon sea breeze on a hot day.
Spot on mate.

I quit afl360 last year but still tuned a bit into other stuff like the Sunday footy show and classified, but this year it's games only. Not even pre game or post game shite.

Sick of being dictated to by people who have no shame and are proven certified hypocrites.

Spot on mate.

I quit afl360 last year but still tuned a bit into other stuff like the Sunday footy show and classified, but this year it's games only. Not even pre game or post game shite.

Sick of being dictated to by people who have no shame and are proven certified hypocrites.
I'm the same. Used to Watch classified, regularly listen to a couple of podcasts, very occasional 360. I haven't watched/listened to a thing this year. I often turn down the commentary too.

Lacustrus

Club Legend
May 24, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Got it...Martin Flannagan...
Yeah, very good writer. His brother Richard isn’t bad either …

I read one of Martin’s books, of his time growing up in Tasmania, and you can see how deep his love of country football runs. Diverting a bit, it made me remember important moments in life, like the first time I heard an adult swear - three quarter time huddle , old collegians vs merrivale and the playing coach going off his head. I think I was 5 years old LOL

And how I much I detest footy commentary nowadays…

docko911

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
What about Lloyd's treatment of Marlion Pickett. Called him a faute hard man when he had a crack at the Swans player then didn't stand under a high ball. Now if you have watched Pickett play then you will know he is anything but a pretender when it comes to the tough stuff. He has stood under plenty of high balls, has dished out hits and taken them, but all with a hip and shoulder and all within the rules, well rules that he grew up playing.

The Swans player Pickett pushed whilst on the ground was the player who tried to take him out with a shepherd, but Pickett being old school reversed the action and told him so afterwards. That was edited out of Lloyd's highlights. The high ball, maybe he misread it, and that can happen, but no Lloyd called him out for not having the metal to stand under it. Then he bumped into another Swans player, which was a tad unnecessary granted and a little out of character, which Lloyd also called him out on, and perhaps fair enough, but he edited out the following bit where Pickett stopped after the bump, apologised and then helped him to his feet. Didn't suit the narrative

These ex-players should have a better feel for the game than that and it was just an easy hit, which Lloyd wasn't afraid of doing whilst a player, the irony lost on him.

There is an argument to instruct players not to stand under hospital passes and go back hard with the flight because of the risk of injury. Injuries during games can alter the outcome, and with concussion protocols there’s no coming back if you fail the test.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

I read one of Martin’s books, of his time growing up in Tasmania, and you can see how deep his love of country football runs. Diverting a bit, it made me remember important moments in life, like the first time I heard an adult swear - three quarter time huddle , old collegians vs merrivale and the playing coach going off his head. I think I was 5 years old LOL

You could probably sue him if you wanted. Took away your childhood.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
There is an argument to instruct players not to stand under hospital passes and go back hard with the flight because of the risk of injury. Injuries during games can alter the outcome, and with concussion protocols there’s no coming back if you fail the test.
We crucified Brando for that, but standing under a high ball is something I have seen Pickett do plenty of times. Agree with what you are saying, I hate the running back with the flight bravo but Pickett's was more than likely a misjudgement as he wasn't really under much pressure. But not according to Mr. Lloyd.

May 4, 2021
laneway next to the chemist
AFL Club
Richmond

death of a river guide great book, didn't know they were related cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back