the-rise-of-loud-and-opinionated-afl-media-is-reflective-of-a-wider-malaise

Remove this Banner Ad

I absolutely refuse to listen or watch anything that Jane Cornes is on.

To me that US outspoken in your face style of journalism is not part of our culture.

I read that he works longer days than any one in the industry and he’s obsessed with marathon/distance running. Hoping the peanut burns himself out.

What about Lloyd's treatment of Marlion Pickett. Called him a faute hard man when he had a crack at the Swans player then didn't stand under a high ball. Now if you have watched Pickett play then you will know he is anything but a pretender when it comes to the tough stuff. He has stood under plenty of high balls, has dished out hits and taken them, but all with a hip and shoulder and all within the rules, well rules that he grew up playing.

The Swans player Pickett pushed whilst on the ground was the player who tried to take him out with a shepherd, but Pickett being old school reversed the action and told him so afterwards. That was edited out of Lloyd's highlights. The high ball, maybe he misread it, and that can happen, but no Lloyd called him out for not having the metal to stand under it. Then he bumped into another Swans player, which was a tad unnecessary granted and a little out of character, which Lloyd also called him out on, and perhaps fair enough, but he edited out the following bit where Pickett stopped after the bump, apologised and then helped him to his feet. Didn't suit the narrative

These ex-players should have a better feel for the game than that and it was just an easy hit, which Lloyd wasn't afraid of doing whilst a player, the irony lost on him.
The same weak as p..... Essendon scumbag that cleaned up the Hawks Brad Sewell with a drive by elbow to the head. Lloyd is a d....head.

The part in the article where he talks about Kornes leaching all the fun out of first and 2nd year player's footy and lives, really had me thinking of the way he remained competitive on the field.

Becoming the epitome of a professional pest tagger. Why wouldn't he apply the exact same philosophy to his media work?

Except with this role, he gets to 'tag' all the easiest targets.

To me that US outspoken in your face style of journalism is not part of our culture.

The US may be the most blatant, over the top example of that kind of journalism, but I'd argue that Kornes' behaviour is part of a much wider Western (or wherever neoconservative economic systems have taken root) cultural phenomenon of individual first and to hell with the consequences.

The AFL industry laud him 'working harder than everyone else', 'starting conversations' (to sell advertising), 'bringing fresh takes' (to sell advertising) and seldom do the slightest thing to reign in his sociopathic, destructive behaviour. That would be impeding on his rights as an individual, which is held to be way more sacred than preventing, limiting or mitigating the damage he does.

And in much the same way the ridiculously wealthy still pursue endless amounts more wealth because they're thoroughly addicted to the process, the likes of Kornes get just as addicted (laying awake at night planning the next hit job) with just as destructive consequences.

The article is spot on and I have recently quit the mainstream media so even within weeks of doing that I suddenly don't understand what this Horne-Francis stuff is all about any more, or what chapter it is up to. No more Footy Classified or The Couch or 360, and like the good man said, if I get a chance to catch Front Bar for a light hearted look at the game I will. No more Barrett, Cornes, King, Lyon it is all utter bullshit. The media deals have gotten way too big for the game when these clowns started saying Dusty needs to remember who pays his wages so they should have access to him whenever they want.

By comparison the sheer pleasure of watching a VFL game or a Sheffield Shield match online with the more relaxed, respectful and sincere commentary because no campaigner is watching is like an afternoon sea breeze on a hot day.
Is 360 and the couch still running?

The switch to online media has been the biggest driver in how things are reported. Previously, media companies made $$ through selling newspapers, however that's all changed.

Now they make money the moment you click on an article, even if you then instantly close it. This is why we see click-bait article headlines all the time. It's not about the content, it's about generating clicks that are logged.

So someone like Cornes is absolutely adored by whoever employs him. People see his outrageous s**t, click on the link, and the company gets paid through advertising. Until base journalistic standards revert back to what they used to be, this behaviour isn't going to change because it's what generates money.

I don't watch 360. I don't watch Footy classified and I don't watch any of the weekend footy shows because I dislike the hosts of all those shows.

However, I admit I'm a sucker for Twitter posts and get caught trolling a lot of dumb comments.

It's harder to write good intelligent, insightful and entertaining content, regularly, on footy...easier and both cheaper with quick no thought dribbles...now everybody can do that...
These days an article on footy that makes sense and also makes you willingly pause, invest time, and think about the game from a different angle is a rare and welcome beastie in this day and age...they also invite participants for further comments...generating more interesting content to digest..

Last edited:
I miss that journo that used to write great long footy related articles...canna remember his name...
Might have written them for The Age...

Not him...I think this journo has retired...
Rohan Connolly. I was following him on twitter, but had to stop because the political content versus the footy stuff was heavily skewed. I wasn't following him for his political views.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back