The Robodebt Royal Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Back on topic...

Sixteen individuals have been referred for potential breaches of the APS Code of Conduct to the Australian Public Service Commission, following the release of the robodebt royal commission report.

The referrals do not only comprise public servants named in a sealed section of Commissioner Catherine Holmes' report. The APS Commission has extended referrals to include former APS employees, current APS employees named in the robodebt report but not the sealed section, and former agency heads.

Possible sanctions include termination of employment, demotion, reassignment of duties, reduction in salary, fines and a reprimand.

Agency heads have already had the opportunity to make changes to the employment arrangements of public servants identified in the report.

If PS had people sent to jail, and others sent to jail to cover up gross incompetence and bastardry.

Why cant they be sent to jail?
Recent RC’s in Australia seem to make many recommendations - many of which are implemented but very few people who could and should be charged ever reach that point. Hence the concept of being “Lawyers Picnics”

The postal inquiry scandal in Uk is almost identical to robodebt , faulty software suggesting postmasters stole from post office

I don’t think Fujitsu held a gun to the post office head to go after subcontractors. Helped maybe

Are we blaming the IT supplier for robodebt?

I don’t think Fujitsu held a gun to the post office head to go after subcontractors. Helped maybe

Are we blaming the IT supplier for robodebt?
No , was in uk and watched inquiry , the post office investigator was under the pump , it seemed post officer owners were told they were the only ones investigated . It was only an article in a paper that blew the story up and others found out that they wernt the only ones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Primary purpose of a Royal Commission is to relieve pressure.

Its not about fixing anything its about getting the public to move on from focusing on the issue.

Look at the banking RC, the recommendations lasted what 3 years and then the Coalition used Covid as an excuse to roll most of them back

the Aboriginal Deaths in custody is 30+ years of being ignored

the aged care RC hasn't fixed anything

its not about fixing problems its about the optics

The Primary purpose of a Royal Commission is to relieve pressure.

Its not about fixing anything its about getting the public to move on from focusing on the issue.

Look at the banking RC, the recommendations lasted what 3 years and then the Coalition used Covid as an excuse to roll most of them back

the Aboriginal Deaths in custody is 30+ years of being ignored

the aged care RC hasn't fixed anything

its not about fixing problems its about the optics
Or (in the case of the mental health one in Victoria) aim for an impossible standard of care for mental health patients in the emergency department that allows the office of the chief psychiatrist to then pot ED with no ******* understanding of how ED works, demand we help them keep patients in th ED on involuntary orders but avoid using restrictive interventions unless harm is imminent- someone self discharging doesn’t obviously hit threshold for imminent harm - and sometimes the order is placed by psychiatrist or doctor unfamiliar with the patient but there no facility for a non psychiatric doctor to void the order and psychiatrists are notoriously office hours so patients are forced to wait

Or (in the case of the mental health one in Victoria) aim for an impossible standard of care for mental health patients in the emergency department that allows the office of the chief psychiatrist to then pot ED with no ******* understanding of how ED works, demand we help them keep patients in th ED on involuntary orders but avoid using restrictive interventions unless harm is imminent- someone self discharging doesn’t obviously hit threshold for imminent harm - and sometimes the order is placed by psychiatrist or doctor unfamiliar with the patient but there no facility for a non psychiatric doctor to void the order and psychiatrists are notoriously office hours so patients are forced to wait
I mean that is a pretty good example of what I am talking about.

They say they've listened and fixed it but haven't

but the problem goes away because publicly they've announced stuff and there is no follow up until the next big issue 5-10 years down the track

I mean that is a pretty good example of what I am talking about.

They say they've listened and fixed it but haven't

but the problem goes away because publicly they've announced stuff and there is no follow up until the next big issue 5-10 years down the track
Well I suppose in a sense this RC (MH) does seem to have some outcome
  • the new MHWA 2022
  • changes around increased involvement of lives experience (though many positions not filled)
  • ocp applying pressure on our hospital psychiatrists and ED

But that pressure is focused on things we (in ED) don’t have time or expertise to deliver.

• the new MHWA 2022
  • changes around increased involvement of lives experience (though many positions not filled)

But that pressure is focused on things we (in ED) don’t have time or expertise to deliver.
They are doing the same for us in AV.

• the new MHWA 2022

Yeah but outcomes are not necessarily improvements which isn't your fault

They are doing the same for us in AV.
I’m hearing a push for av to complete MHA 142 for restrained transport - initially for those under the act (ie involuntary) but after 1/4/24 would apply to anyone where mental health is part of differential diagnosis (as it also changes for ED and has changed for general medical wards).

Watching the dramatisation of the post office scandal, it appears the post office head was a bit of a god botherer like scomo.

Curiouser and curiouser

Remove this Banner Ad

Back