The Robodebt Royal Commission

janty

All Australian
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On social media a couple of people are saying they got less than 1 dollar back in the settlement.

Golden_6

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
On social media a couple of people are saying they got less than 1 dollar back in the settlement.
There’s no real compensation settlement, it’s basically just interest on payments made. I got around $100 back.

If people got less than a dollar, then it means the amount they were required to pay was extraordinarily low or they weren’t without it for long at all.

Stumpy Pete

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2003
At the Butterfly Ball
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some good live tweeting on this. I find it interesting that no one has mentioned that the massive expansion of the income-smoothing approach was a 2016 election commitment by the then Turnbull-led Liberals.

RC evidence thus far suggests some concerns in DSS but DHS were gung-ho. This is not surprising given the massive increase in resourcing that DHS were getting under the scheme.

I’m looking forward to Kathryn Campbell giving evidence.

Regards

S. Pete

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
This RC is must-watch viewing if you want to see good lawyers tear apart the arguments of weak people. Public servants with their hedging language and politicians with their outright lies are finding there are consequences when you're put on the stand and forced to tell the truth.

Love this exchange with Kathryn Campbell: "Are you claiming ignorance of the law (she jumps in "No!"), when you set up the unlawful system (she realises the puddle of s**t she's just walked into)"

Demonic Ascent

Bang! Bang bang bang!
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I had to "pay back" around 3.5k for a period in which my total payments from Centrelink were $0. I told them I was going to appeal, and was told that makes no difference and that I had two weeks to pay. I had been working for a couple of years at that point, and they could see my bank balance - which I'm not sure was legal, because it was probably an outsourcer who made the call.

From memory the previous government acknowledged that close to 20% of "debts" raised were in error. Those who raised that 20% figure claimed they were the false ones, which might not include the over-stated ones.
I got a call at work one day from "Centrelink" - they'd called my work and asked to speak to me and were put through. The guy on the phone then started saying I owed thousands of dollars due to incorrect Centrelink payments. I had no idea what he was talking about, the only Centrelink I'd claimed in the last 15 years was parental payments when my kids were born. After some back and forth it became apparent it wasn't me he was after but another person with the same first name who had left the organisation before I'd even started working there.

Some real super sleuths they had working on this thing....