Fixture The Rolling Fixture in place for 2022 and we have never had worse games on channel 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
The rolling fixture was heralded as a chance to ensure the best fixtures were on Free to air tv every week.
There are basically 2 or 3 big TV games each week. Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night.
Instead of picking the best performing sides the AFL have placed big Victorian sides in the key slots repeatedly despite they stinking the place out every week. Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn etc.

Essendon should not be inflicted on anyone other than KAYO viewers until 2023. So sick of watching these useless wasters in big game slots every *in weekend.

Instead we have to watch them next weekend against Richmond, and on a FRIDAY night for their next game against Carlton.

In 2 weeks time there is probably one of the most anticipated game of the season, Melbourne v Freo, 1 v 2, and it’s on KAYO at 4:30 on a Saturday with the mighty Gold Coast v Hawthorn getting the plum Saturday night slot on seven that week.
This was scheduled just 2 weeks ago.
Inexcusable from Travis Auld and his fixtures committee.

The following clubs should not get near a FTA game for the rest of the season:
West coast
Collingwood
Essendon
Hawthorn
North melbourne

Why are we not seeing Brisbane, Melbourne, Fremantle, St kilda, Sydney, Carlton, in games against EACH OTHER?
These are the leagues best teams and yet we have to watch this shite served up by Essendon every *in week?
It’s the worst set of fixtures on primetime so far this year to open a season that we have EVER seen.
Travis Auld couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.

I imagine Essendon games still rate well.
Two of their games are locked into the prime time slots every year before a ball is kicked, Anzac Day and Dreamtime. They are one of the AFLs most privileged sides.
Genuine footy fans want to watch the best teams in any given year play in the primetime slots.
It’s not too much to ask.

I don’t doubt what you say is true but I’d have more respect for the AFL if they just came out and said up front to the fans - we want to put the sides with the biggest fan bases on channel 7 as much as possible and we don’t really care how well teams with smaller fanbases are playing.

In 2 weeks time there is probably one of the most anticipated game of the season, Melbourne v Freo, 1 v 2, and it’s on KAYO at 4:30 on a Saturday

And as you support Freo you presumably live in WA, you get every single Freo game on free to air on 7, so your complaint is totally irrelevant. And given Fox have far better commentators than 7, I don't know what you're complaining about.

Second, I know this is hard for a lot of people to realise, but Foxte; dosen't just get the s**t games. They pay more than 7 for the rights, and believe it or not, also get to have games between good teams on their broadcast, not just Gold Coast and North games every week.

Because the AFL is actually the VFL. It was a more national competition in the 90s, they at least made an effort to be unbiased then
You should get back to us when the AFL doesn't make fixtures so biased in favour of non Vic clubs, and when your club comes anywhere near to financially standing on its own two feet. A national competition shouldn't mean your club being totally carried by Victorians. Don't you have any pride?

AFL consistently said over the years that teams need to be performing at a consistently high level to be rewarded with Friday night games etc., but now they should be upfront and honest about how it really works.

I'm obviously bias as a Lion but I'd like to see us on Friday night a bit more, we only get 2 a year despite being top 4 for a few years now? Timeslot tricky being where it is but Freo v Brisbane R13 deserved a much better time slot than Sunday arvo.

Put the best game of the week on Friday night, no matter what, IMO.

Last edited:
The problem is that Channel 7 and the AFL would be acutely aware of which games rate best.

So what this tells us is that a s**t Essendon still gets more viewers than a good St Kilda.

And people wonder why the AFL did their best to cover up the Essendon drug scandal.
The whole system sucks and the AFL cater to fickle fans rather than having a fair system. Of course all the numbers are hidden but it wouldn’t surprise me if some of these underperforming big clubs will rate in prime time but fans don’t watch during the poor slots. Teams performing fans will watch any time so will get similar numbers in any slot.

Either that or the AFL just prefer to run an inequitable competition and lie / flip flop as it suits.

And as you support Freo you presumably live in WA, you get every single Freo game on free to air on 7, so your complaint is totally irrelevant. And given Fox have far better commentators than 7, I don't know what you're complaining about.

Second, I know this is hard for a lot of people to realise, but Foxte; dosen't just get the s**t games. They pay more than 7 for the rights, and believe it or not, also get to have games between good teams on their broadcast, not just Gold Coast and North games every week.
The problem isn't so much the free-to-air access into Perth: It's the national coverage which makes teams more appealing to sponsors. Giving it to the same few teams unnecessarily and unfairly gives some clubs an unmeritorious advantage when it comes to generating needed funds for football departments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could get Kayo for free for a whole year recently so FTA isn’t the issue. The complaint is being fair and giving all fans access to nice time slots when they can attend games. Sunday arvo sucks due to kids and school on Monday.

You could get Kayo for free for a whole year recently so FTA isn’t the issue. The complaint is being fair and giving all fans access to nice time slots when they can attend games. Sunday arvo sucks due to kids and school on Monday.
So every person who attends the footy has school aged kids? You do realise everything isn't all about you and your needs.

So every person who attends the footy has school aged kids? You do realise everything isn't all about you and your needs.
Predictable that a few Victorian fans would come in here defending the indefensible.
The fact of the matter is that if there’s a top 4 clash in the AFL ten rounds or more into the season, and we have a floating fixture that allows the league to select the best game, why aren’t they on the national primetime slots?? There is simply no excuse.

In no other professional sports league on earth would this happen where a 1 v 2 clash is relegated to the off broadway timeslots in favour of two rubbish sides.
Fremantle have two top 4 clashes in consecutive weeks coming up, v Dees and Lions, both on KAYO while clubs like Essendon and gold coast and hawthorn fill the primetime slots those weeks.
We were s**t for long enough and now that we are a top 4 side we should get some fair exposure. It’s not too much to ask.
Last night we should have been watching st kilda v Geelong on the tv, not the hapless bombers v sydney.
Another own goal by the AFL and channel 7.
And also - you guys who say big clubs rate better and so should get these channel 7 games regardless - surely channel 7 want competitive games too?? Surely?
I mean, it would have been a long night for the broadcast team last night to drum up enthusiasm for the embarrassingly one sided game we saw. It was over after 15 min yet the channel 7 team had to spend the next 3 hours feigning some enthusiasm for a contest that was well and truly over.
Meanwhile saints v Geelong was a back and forth thriller all the way though.

Predictable that a few Victorian fans would come in here defending the indefensible.
The fact of the matter is that if there’s a top 4 clash in the AFL ten rounds or more into the season, and we have a floating fixture that allows the league to select the best game, why aren’t they on the national primetime slots?? There is simply no excuse.

In no other professional sports league on earth would this happen where a 1 v 2 clash is relegated to the off broadway timeslots in favour of two rubbish sides.
Fremantle have two top 4 clashes in consecutive weeks coming up, v Dees and Lions, both on KAYO while clubs like Essendon and gold coast and hawthorn fill the primetime slots those weeks.
We were s**t for long enough and now that we are a top 4 side we should get some fair exposure. It’s not too much to ask.
Last night we should have been watching st kilda v Geelong on the tv, not the hapless bombers v sydney.
Another own goal by the AFL and channel 7.
And also - you guys who say big clubs rate better and so should get these channel 7 games regardless - surely channel 7 want competitive games too?? Surely?
I mean, it would have been a long night for the broadcast team last night to drum up enthusiasm for the embarrassingly one sided game we saw. It was over after 15 min yet the channel 7 team had to spend the next 3 hours feigning some enthusiasm for a contest that was well and truly over.
Meanwhile saints v Geelong was a back and forth thriller all the way though.
My response was to the Sunday arvo comment. I actually agree that with the rolling fixture better games should have been chosen for the prime time slots.

It's mind boggling Essendon landed 3 prime time slots after there start to the season and the games were scheduled after the fact.

Even the media are getting restless now about it.
Stop putting the Dud games on free to air tv would be a good start

This is very rich coming from a Collingwood fan. I’m talking about sharing the load, not getting 6-7/11 games in that time slot.

Collingwood has had 1 Sunday game so far and it was in the morning. Probably only due to Anzac Day being on a Monday to bridge the gap.

This is very rich coming from a Collingwood fan. I’m talking about sharing the load, not getting 6-7/11 games in that time slot.

Collingwood has had 1 Sunday game so far and it was in the morning. Probably only due to Anzac Day being on a Monday to bridge the gap.
I must of slept through this one. I can only recall one morning game in my lifetime and that was played in Canberra from memory.

And looking at our next 5 games we have 4 on Sunday and the Monday game on the Queens Birthday. And yes we deserve those 4 Sunday games as we’re not one of the top teams right now.

I agree with the original post, the floating fixture should se the next teams playing in prime time but at least please look at the upcoming rounds before complaining about when Collingwood play.

We should be shown in the VFL slots, unwatchable Essendon. Dreamtime next week, more like nightmare.
The Adventures Of Pete And Pete Reaction GIF

And looking at our next 5 games we have 4 on Sunday and the Monday game on the Queens Birthday. And yes we deserve those 4 Sunday games as we’re not one of the top teams right now.

I agree with the original post, the floating fixture should se the next teams playing in prime time but at least please look at the upcoming rounds before complaining about when Collingwood play.
The only late Sunday game is the away game against Freo so it’s more Freo fans again being lumped with the worst time slot. Not just for kids either, most people work on Monday morning.

Watching on TV is fine in my opinion and do think they need to spread the games out. Every team should get 1 Friday night & 1 late Sunday game minimum.

Last edited:
The only late Sunday game is the away game against Freo so it’s more Freo fans again being lumped with the worse time slot. Not just for kids either, most people work on Monday morning.

Watching on TV is fine in my opinion and do think they need to spread the games out. Every team should get 1 Friday night & 1 late Sunday game minimum.
I agree completely that every team should get a Friday night and a Sunday twilight game. I also think of all non Vic teams minus Gold Coast it’s Fremantle that gets shortchanged the most when it comes to fixture slots.

Also this may just be me but I consider the 3:20pm Sunday slot more late than early. I actually like the Sunday 1:10pm game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back