Fixture The Rolling Fixture in place for 2022 and we have never had worse games on channel 7

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is there a summary of this available?
On that page he has replied to me with the total averages per club up to the end of round 7. It includes Channel 7 and Fox viewerships. If you want a more in-depth version he will probably give it to you if you ask. The viewerships per game are also posted in there during every round.

why would a sponsor pick stkilda with an average attendance of 25k over richmond with an average attendance of 48k, or essendon with an average attendance of 41k? additionally why would a broadcaster agree to pay the same to show a club like stkilda when they can estimate there may be 50% less market interest.

if clubs like stkilda want to be given primetime games more often, then they need to give up the millions in extra assistance funding they get, which the afl only gets because they can get the biggest broadcast deals by selling the games with the biggest market share. if you want an even playing field then no more handouts.

but i know youre not going to accept that, so just shush while the big clubs earn the money that keeps the smaller clubs solvent.
Friday Night Ratings in 2022 (to round 8)

CodeRoundDateDayTimeHomeAwaysFTASTBKayoTotal
AFL225-MarFri1950SydneyGeelong739,000255,000209,4401,203,440
AFL118-MarFri1950St KildaCollingwood671,000265,000217,4601,153,460
AFL48-AprFri1950GeelongBrisbane648,000259,000225,2801,132,280
AFL622-AprFri1950GWSSt Kilda563,000252,000219,1201,034,120
AFL86-MayFri1930Port AdelaideWestern Bulldogs530,000215,000188,320933,320
AFL729-AprFri210West CoastRichmond570,000186,000161,920917,920
AFL31-AprFri1920MelbourneEssendon522,000191,000168,080881,080
AFL515-AprFri1940West CoastSydney169,000190,000165,440524,440
AFL515-AprFri1620North MelbourneWestern Bulldogs251,000141,000122,320514,320
AFL31-AprFri2020AdelaidePort Adelaide203,000111,00094,160408,160
AFL86-MayFri2040FremantleNorth Melbourne180,00082,00071,280333,280

Rounds 3,5, and 8 had double friday night fixtures shown simultaneously.
well * me dead

So if it is just about ratings then why have a rolling fixture?
don't confuse yourself,

it's a neverending myriad of targets that at any given time depending upon how a team is performing supporters of historically big clubs can point to as to which target your failing to meet and therefore revert to the status quo of said big team being gifted a disproportionate amount of FTA slots.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
You could get Kayo for free for a whole year recently so FTA isn’t the issue. The complaint is being fair and giving all fans access to nice time slots when they can attend games. Sunday arvo sucks due to kids and school on Monday.
what does school on Monday have to do with not being able to attend a sunday arvo game? unless of course you 2+ hours from Melbourne?

When I was a kid we lived 3 hours away and Sunday games were basically the only games we could get to.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
The problem is that Channel 7 and the AFL would be acutely aware of which games rate best.

So what this tells us is that a s**t Essendon still gets more viewers than a good St Kilda.

And people wonder why the AFL did their best to cover up the Essendon drug scandal.
Yep, our "primetime" games this year have been

1. Friday vs Collingwood at marvel with a crowd of 45,000
2. Friday vs Giants in Canberra (should be a saturday/sunday arvo game)
3. Saturday night vs Port in Cairns (poor scheduling in s**t conditions. should've been a day game in July)

And people wonder why saints get average ratings?

It would help if we got a decent fixture to help with the tv ratings.

Essendon get Dreamtime and Anzac day to help pump their viewership every year.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
what does school on Monday have to do with not being able to attend a sunday arvo game? unless of course you 2+ hours from Melbourne?

When I was a kid we lived 3 hours away and Sunday games were basically the only games we could get to.
I'm just saying it's the worst slot with young kids. Very early in the morning wouldn't work either due to kids footy but we don't have those.

I'm not suggesting they get rid of it, just it needs to be shared around between teams.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
well fu** me dead
Interesting.

Good Friday really tanked considering the 2 games were not played at the same time.

Rd 3 & 8 had games on at the same time and FTA would have only been on one of the games around Australia depending on which state/team involved. Therefore both those rounds got higher views overall than rd 2 (86K & 60K).

Rd 7, WC & Richmond was the least watched Friday across all the rounds.

I think it shows that ladder position is critical to people watching as well despite how big the fan base apparently is.

bjwilliams

All Australian
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree with the premise of this thread completely. Big clubs get bigger through repeated exposure, leaving some interstate and smaller Vic teams to get shafted.

Certain teams have earned the right to get more televised on free-to-air Friday and Saturday night primetime games. Melbourne now, Brisbane, the Dogs, Port even.

I remember I did some quick analysis over the 2010-2019 decade on Friday night games. If all things being equal (lol) each team should get 26 Friday night games over that period. Carlton, Collingwood, and Essendon got 38, 53 and 42 respectively. While Brisbane, GWS and Melbourne got 2, 5 and 11 respectively. And we were all told that 'win and play attractive footy and you'll get the slots".... yeah except Carlton won 36% of their games over that period (less than all teams but Gold Coast, Brisbane, and Melbourne) and had more Friday night games than all teams but Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, and Essendon.

I really hoped the floating fixture would resolve some of this and give better exposure for the smaller clubs and those performing well. Hasn't happened. And we know they're running these games to make money, I get it, but the balance really isn't there.

Last edited:
Why are we not seeing Brisbane, Melbourne, Fremantle, St kilda, Sydney, Carlton, in games against EACH OTHER?

I can't believe I am alive to see the day that a neutral fan asks for MORE Carlton games on FTA...

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a pretty decent point. Why are they inflicting 3 consecutive Essendon Friday night games on us? That's inclusive of a game against West Coast and West Coast shouldn't be playing on a Friday night.

Embarrassing fixturing from the AFL.
Because all they care about is money.

Despite their s**t season I’m sure Essendon still rate well for a number of reasons or the AFL feel as a historically good club they will get attention.

The AFL’s whole charade with the floating fixture was up when they put Richmond West Coast on a Friday night.

Every man and his dog knew that was going to be an awful game but hey guess what? There’s a lot of Tiger and Eagles fans so it probably had some okay ratings compared to what else was on offer that round.

It’s genuinely rubbish and if the AFL isn’t going to be fair dinkum about scheduling decent games in prime slots then bloody go back to the full 23 rounds released from day dot. Much easier for planning through the year and at least the disappointment of a s**t game on a Friday doesn’t come from a s**t decision made only a few weeks earlier.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
What is this Helen Lovejoy narrative about children and attending football games?

I think little Johnny will still be ok to do finger painting if he gets home from the footy at 8:00 o'clock on Sunday night.
I don’t know how I’ve lived so long with my parents letting me stay up as a child on weekends to watch the footy!

The horror!

Saintt

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Because all they care about is money.

Despite their s**t season I’m sure Essendon still rate well for a number of reasons or the AFL feel as a historically good club they will get attention.

The AFL’s whole charade with the floating fixture was up when they put Richmond West Coast on a Friday night.

Every man and his dog knew that was going to be an awful game but hey guess what? There’s a lot of Tiger and Eagles fans so it probably had some okay ratings compared to what else was on offer that round.

It’s genuinely rubbish and if the AFL isn’t going to be fair dinkum about scheduling decent games in prime slots then bloody go back to the full 23 rounds released from day dot. Much easier for planning through the year and at least the disappointment of a s**t game on a Friday doesn’t come from a s**t decision made only a few weeks earlier.
Richmond West Coast friday night was scheduled back in December. In fact the first 9 rounds were so the floating fixture is only relevant from Rounds 10 on.

Back