The Rory Laird Apology Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

1990crow

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 31, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's good now during our rebuild. Would like to see him eventually go back to the backline to finish his career once we have mids that are better than him.

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Suspended
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apologise, not me. Mid June 2020, in the round 2 GBU thread.

I know he’s small, but why wouldn’t we get a decent look at Laird at stoppages? He’s quick over a few steps, moves laterally extremely well, is stupidly brave and generally a bit of a desperado. We pigeon hole players and there they stay and we wonder why they reach their peak after 3 years and then flatline or worse. How many of our backs do we run through the midfield? How many of our forwards get a run as part of the initial plan?

BRL121

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Or when every Crows midfielder that doesn’t have the ball refuses to block and give space to any Crows midfielder that gets the ball
Yes. It was an eye opener at the start of the Showdown. After the first bounce, Wines got the ball and waltzed through a few waving hands, thumping the ball forward. After the second bounce, I think it was Laird who got the ball just as well, but was immediately wrapped up in the tackle. What a contrast.

Concussion test

Adelaide Football Club. Established 1860
May 19, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I called for us to trade Laird or Smith last year for another top pick. Laird has been great this year, and Smith has stepped up his leadership big time.
Could you please add Fogg and McPherson to your trade list, we could really do with some uplift in their performance asap.

glengowan

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
He’s a gun. Most consistent performer for the last 5 years. Stepped up from back pocket, to rebounding back, to very good midfielder (unlike someone like Brown who remains a back pocket forever). Doesn’t fumble, unlike the rest of the team. His contract not a problem at all.

Ramify

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It wasn't too long ago people here were calling to trade out Laird and take anything they could get. Line up one and all with your second and third round picks.
He came off one average season where teams had worked out that he was the driving force from half back for the Crows and tries to tag him out of the game.
Now BF posters are known for jumping on early to call players the next big thing, and jumping off early after one average game.
Laird has shown juat how good he is. Off half back, in the middle, he's a little freak.
Time to own up those who wanted to cut him loose.
Still have a love/hate thing with Laird.
Love the way he hunts the ball.
Hate the way he butchers it a lot of the time.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still have a love/hate thing with Laird.
Love the way he hunts the ball.
Hate the way he butchers it a lot of the time.
Lots of inside players either have high handball ratios, or hack it forward by foot. There's not much time in those packs to take your time and lace someone out.

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
The issue was/is contract length.

has it been shortened in recent weeks?
No, the issue is his total contract value & we are not exactly playing overs for one of our best players.

We need core quality experience in our side & Rory fits the bill.

Meanwhile we have plenty of cap space to sign up our best young talent to longer deals... & still have plenty of cap space.

Hanging on to Laird was the correct list management decision

Ramify

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lots of inside players either have high handball ratios, or hack it forward by foot. There's not much time in those packs to take your time and lace someone out.
Of course, but watch closely how often he instantly slams it on the boot without looking and whilst under little pressure if any. Its a clearance won but a wasted stat/opportunity most of the time.
I wouldn't single him out for this if it wasn't an obvious and annoying flaw(to me at least) in his game.
The burst speed and power is there in him as we can see when he is trying to gain possession or working to link up in a chain. If he could learn to use it more often once he's taken possession , especially around the stoppage as opposed to feeling a perceived pressure and insta-slamming ball onto boot , he would take his game to another level.

You can be an inside mid and not treat the ball like a hot potato.

Last edited:

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just can't remember many times Laird has hit someone lace out on the lead.

He's probably in the same category as Keays in terms of blindly bombing long and when compared to the rest of our midfielders, they are probably the two worse offenders.

Yes, I understand there isn't a lot of time, but we keep complaining about mediocrity as a club. This mediocrity only goes away if you lift your levels of acceptance.

This is not a knock on Laird, but I simply want more from a prime midfielder.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
It wasn't too long ago people here were calling to trade out Laird and take anything they could get. Line up one and all with your second and third round picks.
He came off one average season where teams had worked out that he was the driving force from half back for the Crows and tries to tag him out of the game.
Now BF posters are known for jumping on early to call players the next big thing, and jumping off early after one average game.
Laird has shown juat how good he is. Off half back, in the middle, he's a little freak.
Time to own up those who wanted to cut him loose.
Tell me, are you willing to own up to jumping the gun on this thread in a few years time if his form goes downhill and his body lets him down and he has to retire prematurely before his contract runs out and we have to continue to pay him whilst he is no longer on the list, ALA Bryce Gibbs?

I don't wish this to happen to him, and he may be playing well at the moment, but this thread is a little premature at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad