The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no data to reflect that at all, Jack Riewoldt and Ben Brown were his only two obvious direct opponents that really did any damage and they only kicked 4 goals each.

I think you may be misremembering.

Maybe, maybe not.

FB: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Glass Sicily Scrimshaw
C: Smith O’Meara Scully
HF: Bruest Gunston Impey
FF: Puopolo Roughead Wingard

FOLL : McEvoy, Shiels, Mitchell

Inter: Burgoyne, Worpel, Ceglar, Morrison

emerg: Howe, Minchington, Henderson, Miles

Glass is probably the only one that I'm being quite hopeful of, due to Birchall injury concerns.
Scrimshaw I'm taking a punt on.
Puopolo/Minchington will be another to watch.
Expecting Scully to line up Round 1 at this stage, until otherwise confirmed.

Howe, Henderson, Pittonet, Brand, Miles, Schoenmakers, Nash playing at Box Hill is good depth.

If Birchall doesnt play I will be filthy, literally just picking up a retirement cheque for 3 years. Has to play or retire, if he does not retire then someone needs to push him out the door.

If Birchall doesnt play I will be filthy, literally just picking up a retirement cheque for 3 years. Has to play or retire, if he does not retire then someone needs to push him out the door.
hopefully the post earlier about him being fully recovered and ready for preseason is correct

More about the transition in age demographics this side needs to have... Silk will play large chunk of the year, but I'm hoping it's 10-12 games plus finals.

Chip is horrid

Re Frawley, I always felt we missed him in 2017. Maybe I’m overrating him. There is no doubt that his brain is very slow. Much like mirra.

Is Frawley really that horrible? Don’t get me wrong I get the negativity. There are times with ball in hand where you just get nervous. I hate that about his game.

Re silk, are you suggesting he will be restricted from travelling duties? Hence the round 1 omission?

I would have thought managing a player for 10-12 games a season is the wrong policy. Even for a player of Burgoyne’s class where you could easily argue 10-12 is enough. Surely 16 games a season would be the minimum... (just my take).

Either way I agree that both players would call it quits if we won the flag at season’s end. (Frawley maybe one more season. He will be 31 turning 32 in 2020).

KOLOKOTRONIS

Even if he had retired he was contracted until the end of 2019 so he would still have that paid out although no doubt a reduced amount.
Obviously having missed most of the last two years there are question marks over whether he can return. The fact that Russell was less than forthcoming about the nature of his setbacks was also a concern.
However I was recently advised by a guy who knows Birch that he is over his problems and fit to play.
Obviously the opinion of our doctors and physios would give me more confidence but I am hopeful that he can do a full pre season this year.
As always, only time will tell.

Re Frawley, I always felt we missed him in 2017. Maybe I’m overrating him. There is no doubt that his brain is very slow. Much like mirra.

Is Frawley really that horrible? Don’t get me wrong I get the negativity. There are times with ball in hand where you just get nervous. I hate that about his game.

Re silk, are you suggesting he will be restricted from travelling duties? Hence the round 1 omission?

I would have thought managing a player for 10-12 games a season is the wrong policy. Even for a player of Burgoyne’s class where you could easily argue 10-12 is enough. Surely 16 games a season would be the minimum... (just my take).

Either way I agree that both players would call it quits if we won the flag at season’s end. (Frawley maybe one more season. He will be 31 turning 32 in 2020).

KOLOKOTRONIS

There is no doubt we missed him in 2017. We also missed Stratts.

We essentially patchworked a strong defense by throwing players behind the ball and off the back of the square, which made Brand look more encouraging than he actually is.

Frawley's only real negative aspects are that he has a slow ball drop and questionable awareness. Everything else is still as solid as ever, and he's still a good defender who only really gets caught out by the really tall new age Full Forwards and for some reason Jack Riewoldt.

There is no doubt we missed him in 2017. We also missed Stratts.

We essentially patchworked a strong defense by throwing players behind the ball and off the back of the square, which made Brand look more encouraging than he actually is.

Frawley's only real negative aspects are that he has a slow ball drop and questionable awareness. Everything else is still as solid as ever, and he's still a good defender who only really gets caught out by the really tall new age Full Forwards and for some reason Jack Riewoldt.
Height, is the reason.

Chip can't jump, nor can he raise his arms above his shoulders (both figuratively, of course).

He's very good at running really closely behind guys & stopping them marking, but when the ball goes above head-height, he's out of tricks. Maybe it's just memory, but doesn't he take a lot of our defenders out (usually Stratts) during marking contests?

Height, is the reason.

Chip can't jump, nor can he raise his arms above his shoulders (both figuratively, of course).

He's very good at running really closely behind guys & stopping them marking, but when the ball goes above head-height, he's out of tricks. Maybe it's just memory, but doesn't he take a lot of our defenders out (usually Stratts) during marking contests?

Interesting to note, Alex Rance also gets caught out by taller forwards.

I understand why he struggles against them, I just can't understand the Riewoldt one because Jack is getting older and can't jump anymore either.

I think Stratts has taken out Chip, and Chip has taken out Stratts before. They're about even.

Last edited:

He can hardly be blamed if his body lets him down. Expect Birch is incredibly professional. If the club thought his body was not up to it, am sure they would pull the pin. They haven't, so expect he's doing his best.

upload_2018-11-5_9-24-57.jpeg

Remember that Clarko loves Birch and still values him highly.

He did say that if he was fit he would have no hesitation in picking him for the semi final even after such a long lay-off.

Will 100% be in the round 1 side, if fit.

Interesting to note, Alex Rance also gets caught out by taller forwards.

I understand why he struggles against them, I just can't understand the Riewoldt one because Jack is getting older and can't jump anymore either.

I think Stratts has taken out Chip, and Chip has taken out Stratts before. They're about even.

While Riewoldt may not be the most physically imposing forward in the game, most people underestimate how smart a footballer he is. I think Chip struggles with Riewoldt because he is simply too slow mentally to keep up with him. The speed at which the footy comes into Richmonds forward line also wouldn’t help.

While Riewoldt may not be the most physically imposing forward in the game, most people underestimate how smart a footballer he is. I think Chip struggles with Riewoldt because he is simply too slow mentally to keep up with him. The speed at which the footy comes into Richmonds forward line also wouldn’t help.

Is that why Chip held him goalless in the Qualifying Final? :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chip did a great job in this game. For the record I still think Chip has some good footy in him, I was just trying to explain why he might struggle more with Riewoldt.

I get what you mean, the more mobile-type forwards he, and the team in general, seem to struggle against.

Only have to look at Hipwood kicking goals against us in both Brisbane games. Once against Brand at the Gabba and then down in Tassie.

But I don't think Chip deserves to be as maligned as he has this past year.

He is still the best key defender that we have. People (not referring to you specifically) who think otherwise are very ill-informed.

I get what you mean, the more mobile-type forwards he, and the team in general, seem to struggle against.

Only have to look at Hipwood kicking goals against us in both Brisbane games. Once against Brand at the Gabba and then down in Tassie.

But I don't think Chip deserves to be as maligned as he has this past year.

He is still the best key defender that we have. People (not referring to you specifically) who think otherwise are very ill-informed.

Absolutely, I don’t think Chip should be ridiculed the way he has been as of late. While I do have some faith in Brand I do not think you could replace Frawley with him. When they’re both in the same team I think Brand can be okay. As for Brisbane, I think Hodgey and Fages know us far too well because we were completely exposed in both those games last year!

hopefully the post earlier about him being fully recovered and ready for preseason is correct

Oh without doubt, I'd love for him to play, he is elite in every sense as that rebounding defender who can fill roles on smalls and talls. I just think something has to give, horrid circumstance if he was to miss again, complete and total waste on cap space and a list spot.

KOLOKOTRONIS

I go to most home games and I am confident that the view is fairly universal regarding Chip, he is so hard to watch for a number of reasons. His ability to get caught holding the ball is elite, brain to hand to foot processing is surely well below the norm for an adult, I also don't see him as the lock down defender he once was, it's a falsehood that he is an elite stopper.

I agree we don't have much in the cupboard so we may be forced to roll with the frustrations again, however I hold hope that we are targeting a delisted FA like Goddard to offer some competition and depth.

I go to most home games and I am confident that the view is fairly universal regarding Chip, he is so hard to watch for a number of reasons. His ability to get caught holding the ball is elite, brain to hand to foot processing is surely well below the norm for an adult, I also don't see him as the lock down defender he once was, it's a falsehood that he is an elite stopper.

I agree we don't have much in the cupboard so we may be forced to roll with the frustrations again, however I hold hope that we are targeting a delisted FA like Goddard to offer some competition and depth.
You’re constant attacks on Frawley are seriously pathetic. At times his ball use by foot is terrible and has very little creativity with ball in hand but he has been a very good lock down defender over the journey especially against the power forwards of the competition. His goals conceded against the very best forwards stacks up against any other current defender. His record against guys like Buddy, Kennedy, J Roo and Tomahawk is bloody excellent!

Hope we'll persist with Nash up forward. If can get his set shots right then he'll be a star.

With Wingard and Scully we suddenly have a huge amount of speed an running power in our team. Pumped for this potential round 1 team.

Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

Impey, Sicily, Birchall

Scully, O'Meara, Smith

Wingard, Rough, Burgoyne

Bruest, Gunston, Puopolo

McEvoy, Mitchell, Shiels

Morrison, Worpel, Howe, Nash

There is no data to reflect that at all, Jack Riewoldt and Ben Brown were his only two obvious direct opponents that really did any damage and they only kicked 4 goals each.

I think you may be misremembering.

But you’re using actual facts to back up your position.

I’m sure Tige can come up with some vague suppositions to argue against that!

Yeah Chip's negating ability is one of the best in the comp, he does cost you goals however with some brain dead decision making moments etc.

You’re constant attacks on Frawley are seriously pathetic. At times his ball use by foot is terrible and has very little creativity with ball in hand but he has been a very good lock down defender over the journey especially against the power forwards of the competition. His goals conceded against the very best forwards stacks up against any other current defender. His record against guys like Buddy, Kennedy, J Roo and Tomahawk is bloody excellent!

That’s your opinion, not everyone shares that.. I’ve got no problem that you rate aspects of his footy, I on the other hand beg to differ. You can try and provide all the evidence you like, it won’t sway me.

Like I said, our cupboards bare so we’ll have to go to with Chip, I don’t like it but I accept it.

Davo you’d argue with me to the cows come home that Simon Crawshay is a superior ruckman to Sandilands, I think all the red you’ve drunk over the years has killed off your cognitive abilities to reason.

Yeah Chip's negating ability is one of the best in the comp, he does cost you goals however with some brain dead decision making moments etc.

I'm not even concerned about his decision making, he's quite reliable by foot and normally goes for low percentage kicks. My one worry is that he can take his time getting the ball to his foot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back