The Round 1 2019 team thread...

burner1

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Think the rd 1 team could look very different to the rd 18 team .
Likely inclusion's could be ..
Scully
Scrimshaw
Lewis
Moore
Kosi
Agree with this. It’s what the team looks like say after the bye onwards that is most interesting.
Scully, scrimshaw should be in but the big questions are who else will have found a spot:
-talls: can Lewis hold down a spot in forward line? Will brand have overtaken Frawley? Can TOB deliver on his promise?

-forwards: can Minchington force his way in? How will pop be travelling? Will have Moore/Hanrahan found a spot? Can Nash improve and is he a forward?

-others: can worpel and Howe hold their spots? Will we see jones? Can glass step up or will he remain at BH?

-positions: where will impey play? Will Hardwick stay in backline?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rogiebear93

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey guys so are you all expecting wingard to be mainly a forward with occasional stints in the midfield?
I think he may share a mid/fwd rotation with Jaeger as they're both damaging in that role, but I don't think anyone really knows! It will depend on what we need for that game.

It will be interesting for sure.

rogiebear93

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think our Round 1 team will differ quite a bit from our Best 2019 team, as Clarko usually starts with the known quantities and works it out later. This is how I see Rd 1 lining up:

B: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Birchall Sicily Impey
C: Henderson Mitchell Smith
HF: Schoenmakers Gunston Wingard
F: Poppy Roughead Breust
Foll: McEvoy Shiels O'Meara
Int: Ceglar Burgoyne Morrison Howe

A few interesting exclusions here, but only because it's Rd 1.

Changes between this and our best 2019 team would be:

Henderson OUT
Scully IN

Schoenmakers OUT
Lewis IN (If he continues natural improvement)

I think there are a few positional points of intrigue, as if Scrimshaw performs to his potential we'd struggle to keep him out of the side. Minchington is Puopolo MK2 and could replace him or be alongside him by the end of the season.

What do all of the inclusions spell for players like Worpel and Morrison, who show a lot of promise but could get lost in the mix?

Clarkson obviously appreciates the need to develop kids alongside experienced heads, which is important - but it's hard to find spots where there is an opening or where there's an older player that is as 'at risk' as Osborne, Vandenberg or more recently Whitecross.

It's going to be an exciting year.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Ok, so, Sculls is out of my best 22 for at least the first 20 games of the season!!! Talk about ‘Managing Expectations’ !

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Thread starter #209
Hey guys so are you all expecting wingard to be mainly a forward with occasional stints in the midfield?
Yep. Clarko does like versatility so expect Wings will mainly play inside the forward 50 and as a high half forward, with stints in the centre square and on the wing.

Davo-27

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melb Victory + Melb Storm
Round 1 team might look like this (Best Case Scenario)

B: Hardwick, Frawley, Mirra
HB: Birchall, Stratton, Sicily

C: Smith, Mitchell, Scully
R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Ceglar
F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

INT: Burgoyne, Shiels, Henderson, Impey

squad
Schoenmakers
Howe
Brand
Morrison
Miles
Minchington
Pittonet
Nash
Lewis
Moore

depth/developing
Scrimshaw?
O'Brien?
Glass?
Koschitzke?
Walker?
Greaves?
Mohr?
Cousins?
Ross?
Jones?
Hanrahan?
Jiath?
Golds?
Langford?

out of the developing bunch, Koschitzke, Walker, Greaves, Ross and Jones are my favourites, Koschitzke if he works hard could be a quality tall defender, Walker could develop into a medium forw/mid (low poss, high impact), Greaves could be a Hardwick type if he brings that aggression and 1 on 1 winning ability to the AFL tier, Ross is an x-factor forward, but is behind in development and Jones is just a tough country footballer who gives it his all and is an exciting prospect.

there doesnt seem to be much weakness to the list, all players seem to be going forward which is a good sign, theres no cloggers and a good range of talent.

bringing in Scully, Wingard, Minchington and 4-5 youngsters was a great move imo, looking forward to seeing the group gel over the next 6 months or so.

Last edited:

tige19

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NUFC, Orlando, Packers, Trump
Worpel is starting on the pivot rd1 next to Titch and Jags, no doubt about it.. I think Shiels comes from the bench, no blight on Shiels but Worpel is physically in tune to be a starting mid and is every bit an elite talent with upside.

Stratton - Frawley - Hardwick
Birchall - Sicily - Impey

Smith - Mitchell - Morrison

Wingard - Gunston - Roughead
Breust - Ceglar - Puopolo

McEvoy - Omera - Worpel

B: Burgoyne - Shiels - Henderson - Howe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Millsie69

Team Captain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United, Sturt FC,
Round 1 team might look like this (Best Case Scenario)

B: Hardwick, Frawley, Mirra
HB: Birchall, Stratton, Sicily

C: Smith, Mitchell, Scully
R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Ceglar
F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

INT: Burgoyne, Shiels, Henderson, Impey

squad
Schoenmakers
Howe
Brand
Morrison
Miles
Minchington
Pittonet
Nash
Lewis
Moore

depth/developing
Scrimshaw?
O'Brien?
Glass?
Koschitzke?
Walker?
Greaves?
Mohr?
Cousins?
Ross?
Jones?
Hanrahan?
Jiath?
Golds?
Langford?

out of the developing bunch, Koschitzke, Walker, Greaves, Ross and Jones are my favourites, Koschitzke if he works hard could be a quality tall defender, Walker could develop into a medium forw/mid (low poss, high impact), Greaves could be a Hardwick type if he brings that aggression and 1 on 1 winning ability to the AFL tier, Ross is an x-factor forward, but is behind in development and Jones is just a tough country footballer who gives it his all and is an exciting prospect.

there doesnt seem to be much weakness to the list, all players seem to be going forward which is a good sign, theres no cloggers and a good range of talent.

bringing in Scully, Wingard, Minchington and 4-5 youngsters was a great move imo, looking forward to seeing the group gel over the next 6 months or so.
Can guarantee that Morrison will play and if Scully’s fit, Henderson won’t be in the 22. Mirra out for Howe too.

Nugett

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My team if all fit and well fingers and toes crossed

B: Hardwick Frawley Miles
HB: Birchell Sicily stratton
C: Smith Mitchell Scully
HF: Wingard Roughead Burgoyne
F: Morrison Gunston Breust
Foll: McEvoy O’Meara Sheils
Bench: Howe Worpel Nash Impey

Emergency: Glass Cousins Scrimshaw Henderson

Brant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Can guarantee that Morrison will play and if Scully’s fit, Henderson won’t be in the 22. Mirra out for Howe too.
I'd be playing all 3x of Smitty, Scully & Hendo. Don't be put off by the "we tried that with Billy Hartung" idea - it's not the same thing.

Smitty & Scully will be devastating. Rotating the 3x of them; &, through HB/HF, means we have 3x goal-kicking wingmen that will still be running hard deep into the 4th Quarter, after blowing up the wingmen from other sides.

In 2 years, we've lost the run of Brad Hill but replaced it with Birchall, Scully, Hendo, Morrison & Impey (Shiels & Smitty present during both periods).

We've gone from a slow side, relying on a stacked backline & accurate kicking, to a side packed full of run. We'll no longer have to stack the Backline with Gunners etc. to cover our inability to spread/chase.

With Mitchell, JO'M, Wingard, Shiels & Worpel, we're probs a Cogs short of having an 'A Grade Inside Mid Force', but Burgs/Rough/Brooster/Popeye will chip in.

I'd be playing our full Outside Mid force this season & focusing on getting the ball in to our Forwards as directly as possible. I'm not advocating the 'Long Bomb' for lack of a better option, but we can (again) make it extremely effective if we do it on our terms.

tige19

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NUFC, Orlando, Packers, Trump

Impey is a much better defender, particularly 1v1s than Miles, also takes on the oppo and breaks the line. If we’re competing this in 2019 then Miles is at City Oval each week. No pop either? Gee whiz

WWSD

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
The improvement and those looking to press for a best 22 spot will be the 3rd-4th year players like Glass, Nash, Lewis, Miles and Cousins. I’m not counting Morrison as he is already in the best 22.

The one major concern going into next year is the lack of key forward options which wasn’t sorted during the off-season. O’Brien and Nash are not really key position players so that just leaves Roughead, Schoenmakers and an inexperienced Lewis. I wonder if Ceglar might spend some time as a full forward?

Ideally what I’d like to see is Lewis at full forward, Schoenmakers at center half forward and Gunston as the third tall. With Roughead hopefully playing more midfield.

Roger Rogerson

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd be playing all 3x of Smitty, Scully & Hendo. Don't be put off by the "we tried that with Billy Hartung" idea - it's not the same thing.

Smitty & Scully will be devastating. Rotating the 3x of them; &, through HB/HF, means we have 3x goal-kicking wingmen that will still be running hard deep into the 4th Quarter, after blowing up the wingmen from other sides.

In 2 years, we've lost the run of Brad Hill but replaced it with Birchall, Scully, Hendo, Morrison & Impey (Shiels & Smitty present during both periods).

We've gone from a slow side, relying on a stacked backline & accurate kicking, to a side packed full of run. We'll no longer have to stack the Backline with Gunners etc. to cover our inability to spread/chase.

With Mitchell, JO'M, Wingard, Shiels & Worpel, we're probs a Cogs short of having an 'A Grade Inside Mid Force', but Burgs/Rough/Brooster/Popeye will chip in.

I'd be playing our full Outside Mid force this season & focusing on getting the ball in to our Forwards as directly as possible. I'm not advocating the 'Long Bomb' for lack of a better option, but we can (again) make it extremely effective if we do it on our terms.
I'm with you re Hendo. Surprised so many leave him out when Scully is fit. Hendo had a good year and in a side with more running power will be more valuable. He might need to go fwd or to half back a bit so that might be his challenge but I look forward to seeing him in the side with Smith and Scully.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarko will have learned for the mistakes of going for the 4peat and not playing younger players. Not from the youth perspective, but from their lack of cohesion when they are forced into the team due to injury.

I expect Worpal and Harry to be in from the get go, no guarantee on Pops, Hendo, Schoe, TOB when we have players who will give a different dynamic and drive if given the opportunity.

Pops has a much higher ceiling than Moore or Ollie but we don't know what either can do in the 1's as they never had the chance to shows us and now should be the time to see what they can do. I think Moore is well infront of Ollie based upon BHH finals so looking forward seeing him, Nash, Cousins trying to force their way in.

11sjw

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Tahs & NRLDogs
Here's how some AFL scribes see it:

B: Blake Hardwick, James Frawley, James Sicily
HB: Grant Birchall, Ben Stratton, Harry Morrison
C: Isaac Smith, Tom Mitchell, Ricky Henderson
HF: Chad Wingard, Jack Gunston, Shaun Burgoyne
F: Paul Puopolo, Jarryd Roughead, Luke Breust
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Jaeger O'Meara, Liam Shiels
I/C: James Worpel, Dan Howe, Jarman Impey, Jon Ceglar

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2018-12-17/potential-round-1-line-ups

Alite

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jarred Roughead should start on the bench and have minimised game-time early with the intent for Maximum impact later in the game.

Roughy has long been the most adaptable player in the comp. He can play Power forward, or 3rd tall, he can pinch hit in the ruck, be effective as a midfielder, and an interceptor backman.
Roughy is a complete player who could be our icing.

Let Mitch Lewis / Shoey / or Ceglar be the full forward who is marking the ball / bringing the ball to ground and if needed the chasing the defenders out of our defence.

Hold back Roughy’s game time until he gives maximum impact in the 3rd or 4th quarter.

How good would that be?

Argy

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn

That's not shabby at all.

local hack

Senior List
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Spot on. Although Impey replaces Morrison in the starting line up and Scully in when fit.

threesixpio

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Tell you what - seen worse teams than that

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure why so many posters on this forum are keen to put Hendo out to pasture so soon.
He has improved every year he has been at the club and was in my opinion one of our top 5 players across the year.
He is only 30 I think so at least 2 more years left in him if he maintains his form and fitness.

Millsie69

Team Captain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United, Sturt FC,