The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Highly unlikely the coaches will pick and choose when or if Burger takes a break - his body usually injures itself once or twice a year anyway.. that'll be his time off.
but up until this year he hadn't missed a game since his suspension in 2013 which funnily enough wasn't him missing through injury

but up until this year he hadn't missed a game since his suspension in 2013 which funnily enough wasn't him missing through injury
This. And I believe up until that first game he missed through injury he might have been leading the comp in consecutive games played. And if not leading he was bloody close with over 100 consecutive games played. Pretty much unheard of durability for a player over 30, and the oldest player in the league at that!

This. And I believe up until that first game he missed through injury he might have been leading the comp in consecutive games played. And if not leading he was bloody close with over 100 consecutive games played. Pretty much unheard of durability for a player over 30, and the oldest player in the league at that!
107 games, third longest active streak at the time, Smith is now our leader on 89 is back in 6th across the AFL

Zach Tuoy on 138, Justin Westhoff on 123, Jack Newness from the Saints on 110 the current top 3

Will be interesting to see if Shaun is back to not missing a beat next year or not

Bawks

Draftee
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stratton Frawley dimma
Sicily O'Brien Birchall
Scully shiels smith
Impey shoey wingard
Bruest rough Gunston
McEvoy o'meara Mitchell
Ceglar
Burgoyne
Worpel
Morrison

Poppy
Howe
Scrimshaw
Lewis
Minchington
Nash
Henderson
Brand
Glass
Cousins
Mohr
Miles
Pittonet
Mirra

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stratton frawley hardwick
Birchall Sicily impey

Morrison mitchell smith

Gunston rough wingard
Bruest ceglar moore

Mcevoy o'meara shiels

Inter : Worpel , Henderson,burgoyne , howe

Since 2001

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
B: Sicily Frawley Hardwick
HB: Birchall Stratton Burgoyne

Mid: O'Meara Shiels Smith

HF: Impey Gunston Bruest

F: Lewis Roughead Puopolo

Fol: McEvoy Mitchell Wingard

Inter: Howe, Worpel, Ceglar, Morrison

Scrimshaw/Brand/Mohr in for Birchall if he doesn't stay fit.
Scully in for Howe/Morrison when fit

jimsim

Senior List
Jun 14, 2015
At the G
AFL Club
Hawthorn
B: Hardwick - Frawley- Impey
Sicily - Stratton - Birchall
M: Scully - Mitchell - Smith
R: Mcevoy - O’Meara - Shiels
F: Breust - Gunston - Burgoyne
Wingard - Roughead - Puopolo

Int. Chg: Worpel - Morrison - Howe - Ceglar

Looking at that we seem to have a very strong 22 and better than average depth with these following players to push for selection:
Henderson
Cousins
Brand
Minchington
Mohr
O’Brien
Scrimshaw
Schoenmakers
Mirra
Pittonet
Nash
Glass

Then some young untried prospects, with a bit of luck we can go Top 4 and then some. This is a good experienced list with some youngsters pushing for selection and a heap of players in mid career peak time!!
This side is bang on! I'd probably bring Hendo in for Howe. By the end of the year i hope the Minch has taken over Poppy's position and Scrimshaw gets a good look in.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Stratton Frawley dimma
Sicily O'Brien Birchall
Scully shiels smith
Impey shoey wingard
Bruest rough Gunston
McEvoy o'meara Mitchell
Ceglar
Burgoyne
Worpel
Morrison

Poppy
Howe
Scrimshaw
Lewis
Minchington
Nash
Henderson
Brand
Glass
Cousins
Mohr
Miles
Pittonet
Mirra

Breakout season ?

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
B: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Birchall Sicily Burgoyne
C: Scully Mitchell Smith
HF: Breust Gunston Wingard
F: Poppy Roughead Lewis
Foll: McEvoy Shiels O'Meara
Int: Ceglar Impey Henderson Howe

Only controversial one there is Lewis. I think he's only a solid 10 game streak away from overtaking Schoenmakers as the second best KPF on the list.

On exposed form though - O'Brien is our best centre half back. Brand is better on exposed form. Sicily for the gibbo versatile type, but Timmy hasn't delivered unfort.

The rest of the guys in the 22 I've put together here have.

Think the rd 1 team could look very different to the rd 18 team .
Likely inclusion's could be ..
Scully
Scrimshaw
Lewis
Moore
Kosi
I think moore and kosi have their work cut out. Scrimshaw is interesting it al depends on birch

dermott

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
Portsea
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Clarko traditionally starts the season with the usual suspects so I would not expect much change other than Wingard and Scully (if fit).
However we can always hope that one of the recruits from this year or last year sets the world on fire in the pre season and forces his way into the team.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
B: Stratton Mohr Sicily
HB: Birchall Frawley Hardwick
C: Smith Sheils Henderson*
HF: Impey Roughead Bruest
F: Wingard Lewis Puopolo
Fol: McEvoy Mitchell O'Meara
Int: Burgoyne Howe Worpel Morrison
Emg: Moore Shoey Ceglar Mirra

*Scully fitness pending

B: Stratton Mohr Sicily
HB: Birchall Frawley Hardwick
C: Smith Sheils Henderson*
HF: Impey Roughead Bruest
F: Wingard Lewis Puopolo
Fol: McEvoy Mitchell O'Meara
Int: Burgoyne Howe Worpel Morrison
Emg: Moore Shoey Ceglar Mirra

*Scully fitness pending

Did Gunston retire? :oops:

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
I think 2019 could be the year when we see some changing of the guard. We have many promising young players striving for a spot in our best 22. The time is now for them to push the older players out by showing continuous top form at Box Hill; by grabbing their chances when the opportunity arises through injury, and showing Clarko and company they are hungry for success.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lanford, Lovell and O’Rourke are all gone which could open the door for another midfielder in the best 22. I’m not saying it’s going to happen but if Cousins can improve on some of his deficiencies then he could play plenty of games in 2019.

In the last two seasons Cousins has led Box Hill in disposals, contested possessions, clearances, tackles, inside 50s and goals per game amongst the midfielders. He even had 29 scoring shots last season from just 16 games.

He has missed a fair bit of footy due to shoulder injuries but has still put up some decent numbers. I wouldn’t write off his career just yet. He’s only 20 with plenty of upside.

None of these were best 22 mate. None of these guys moving on creates a spot in our best 22. Add in Wingard and Scully to the mix also.

I wouldn't think many are writing Cousins off, only the reality is he is behind a number of mids that play the same role.

Cousins is like Miles at Richmond for mine. Is an AFL quality midfielder, but will always struggle for opportunity at better clubs due to not being able to play, successfully, anywhere but midfield. Lacks the pace, marking ability and goal kicking to play away from stopages.

Mar 11, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
BEST TEAM OF 22

B: Hardwick Frawley* Stratton
HB: Burgoyne* Sicily Birchall
C: Smith Shiels Scully
HF: Henderson* Gunston Wingard
F: Bruest Roughead* Worpel

R: McEvoy O'Meara Mitchell
I/F: Ceglar Howe Impey Puopolo*

Squad of 30/Depth : Brand*, Morrison*, Mirra*, Schoenmakers, Miles, Minchington*, O'Brien, Mohr

Youth with senior experience: Glass*, Nash*, Cousins, Pittonet, Scrimshaw*, Lewis*

Youth yet to debut : Moore*, Ross, Hanrahan*, Jiath, Jones,

First year Draftees : Kozitschke*, Walker, Greaves, Golds

On the way out soon : Frawley, Burgoyne, Henderson, Roughead, Puopolo

Should be aiming to step up and become best 22 by end of season as 5 permanent spots are up for grabs between this group of challengers: Brand, Morrison, Mirra, Minchington, Glass, Nash, Scrimshaw, Lewis, Moore, Hanrahan, Kozitschke.

I don't see a permanent spot opening for Schoenmakers, Miles, O'Brien, Mohr (all depth only) nor Cousins or Pittonet (no spot up for grabs). Not in 2019 anyway. Injuries notwithstanding of course.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
BEST TEAM OF 22

B: Hardwick Frawley* Stratton
HB: Burgoyne* Sicily Birchall
C: Smith Shiels Scully
HF: Henderson* Gunston Wingard
F: Bruest Roughead* Worpel

R: McEvoy O'Meara Mitchell
I/F: Ceglar Howe Impey Puopolo*

Squad of 30/Depth : Brand*, Morrison*, Mirra*, Schoenmakers, Miles, Minchington*, O'Brien, Mohr

Youth with senior experience: Glass*, Nash*, Cousins, Pittonet, Scrimshaw*, Lewis*

Youth yet to debut : Moore*, Ross, Hanrahan*, Jiath, Jones,

First year Draftees : Kozitschke*, Walker, Greaves, Golds

On the way out soon : Frawley, Burgoyne, Henderson, Roughead, Puopolo

Should be aiming to step up and become best 22 by end of season as 5 permanent spots are up for grabs between this group of challengers: Brand, Morrison, Mirra, Minchington, Glass, Nash, Scrimshaw, Lewis, Moore, Hanrahan, Kozitschke.

I don't see a permanent spot opening for Schoenmakers, Miles, O'Brien, Mohr (all depth only) nor Cousins or Pittonet (no spot up for grabs). Not in 2019 anyway. Injuries notwithstanding of course.
What are your asterisks for?

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Think the rd 1 team could look very different to the rd 18 team .
Likely inclusion's could be ..
Scully
Scrimshaw
Lewis
Moore
Kosi

I think they said Scully does not expect to be available round 1, due to his injury.

Kosi si surely behind Frawley, Brand and TO at this stage.

Unless McEvoy or Cegs are injured, expect Lewis won't start Round 1.

Moore and Scrimshaw may, but for mine would need to have huge pre-seasons.

Exciting times.

driftyhunter

Team Captain
May 7, 2011
The Beach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tokyo Goannas
Stratton Frawley dimma
Sicily O'Brien Birchall
Scully shiels smith
Impey shoey wingard
Bruest rough Gunston
McEvoy o'meara Mitchell
Ceglar
Burgoyne
Worpel
Morrison

Poppy
Howe
Scrimshaw
Lewis
Minchington
Nash
Henderson
Brand
Glass
Cousins
Mohr
Miles
Pittonet
Mirra
Surely ur just taking the piss with ur CHF CHB!

This team organising caper is way too difficult; therefore I'm going to let my mate Alastair complete my guess for me. Take it away angry ant

Alastair would benefit from assistance from the experts on BigFooty.

If he wants a permanent headache ...

Back