The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the midfield is solid and the backline is manageable, particularly with the strong midfield. We’re one forward busting busting out away from a great season.

Lewis/tob/shoe. One of them needs a career breakout. Won’t be shoe, as he’s peaked. Very unlikely to be TOB. Lewis is the man. If his big mits can take some clunkers and he can turn in 40 goals then we’re in for an incredible season.

I think the midfield is solid and the backline is manageable, particularly with the strong midfield. We’re one forward busting busting out away from a great season.

Lewis/tob/shoe. One of them needs a career breakout. Won’t be shoe, as he’s peaked. Very unlikely to be TOB. Lewis is the man. If his big mits can take some clunkers and he can turn in 40 goals then we’re in for an incredible season.
Out of all of the opposition players out their right now the one I would love to be in our side the most would be Tom Mcdonald from Melbourne. Can you imagine the big fella roaming our forward line, clunking marks and kicking straight for goal. We would go to another level.

Out of all of the opposition players out their right now the one I would love to be in our side the most would be Tom Mcdonald from Melbourne. Can you imagine the big fella roaming our forward line, clunking marks and kicking straight for goal. We would go to another level.

I like Ben Brown, primarily because it irritates my niece (a Norf supporter) every time I say he'll leave them for us. But what we could do with a big gorilla on in the pocket.

Bloody hard team to pick - expect there will be some change over the offseason with players fighting for spots. There’s 10-15 players outside the 22 who have reasonable claims/chance of a spot. Haven’t picked birch or Scully due to injury concerns for round 1.

Also not clear with rule changes whether we will play more talls - arguably team below is a bit top heavy.

Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Sicily Brand Jones
Smith wingard morrison
Gunston Shoey Breust
Lewis rough Puopolo
BB Mitchell JOM
I: shiels Burgoyne Impey worpel

Others (with realistic chance of being in side)
Mids: Howe, cousins, Scully, hendo, ceglar, Pitt
Backs: Birchall, scrimshaw, glass, miles, TOB, mohr
Forwards: Moore, hanrahan, Nash

If Brand doesn’t improve or if he struggles to have any impact next year then Mohr might get that second spot as the key defender.

It looks like Birchall might not be available in the early rounds of the season so I wouldn’t mind seeing Scrimshaw getting some games. It would be good for his development.

The forward structure will be interesting. Who will play at full forward will it be Lewis or Ceglar? There’s still a role for Schoenmakers to play as a center half forward that is if he doesn’t get injured and he’s over that Achilles injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does a minor procedure like having floating cartilage removed from a knee that typically has a 2-3 recovery time turn into Birchall missing any of the 2019 season, let alone a huge chunk of it?

How does a minor procedure like having floating cartilage removed from a knee that typically has a 2-3 recovery time turn into Birchall missing any of the 2019 season, let alone a huge chunk of it?
Agreed.

It's the 'Knee Cleanups' in March & June that'll cause him to miss the season - he should be fine from this one.

Round 1 team, assuming Scully doesn't get up but Birchall is ok.

FB: Hardwick - Frawley- Impey
HB: Sicily - Stratton - Birchall
C: Henderson - Mitchell - Smith
HF: Breust - Gunston - Burgoyne
FF: Wingard - Roughead - Puopolo
R: McEvoy - O’Meara - Shiels

Int: Worpel - Morrison - O'Brien - Lewis

TO is done as a forward for mine. Expect he will play CHB at BHH to see if he can make it there.

Surley Schoey's best is past him too... that GF Doesn't he have ongoing achilles issues which nearly had him delisted at last year's end? Expect he is as much depth or insurance in 2019.

That leaves only Lewis, for mine. Either that or Cegs and McEvoy need to have outstanding seasons rotating as key forwards and nab 25+ goals between them.

TO is done as a forward for mine. Expect he will play CHB at BHH to see if he can make it there.

Surley Schoey's best is past him too... that GF Doesn't he have ongoing achilles issues which nearly had him delisted at last year's end? Expect he is as much depth or insurance in 2019.

That leaves only Lewis, for mine. Either that or Cegs and McEvoy need to have outstanding seasons rotating as key forwards and nab 25+ goals between them.
Agree, reckon its between Lewis and Ceglar for the tall forward/part-time ruck option.

Agree, reckon its between Lewis and Ceglar for the tall forward/part-time ruck option.
That's an important thing to remember many of these teams listed don't have anyone for the relief Ruck.

One of Lewis, Ceglar, Pittonet, Obrien or Shoenmakers will play this role most weeks you would think.

Here's my team for Round 1 v the Crows

I have gone for two big backs against the Crows and stacked the midfield.

B: Stratts Frawley Hardwick
HB: Birchall Brand Sicily
C: Henderson Mitchell Smith
HF: Bruest Gunston Burgoyne
FF: Wingard Roughead Puopolo
R: McEvoy O'Meara Shiels

Int: Impey, Morrison, Worpel, Ceglar

Scully to replace Henderson once fit. Ceglar, Lewis or Shoey to take forward/resting ruck role, and still not sure on two key backs for all games.

What I really want to see...

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Birchall, Mohr, Sicily

C: Scully, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Shiels

INT: Henderson, Impey, Worpel, Morrison

What will probably happen...

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Scrimshaw, Brand, Sicily

C: Henderson, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Wingard, Lewis, Gunston

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Shiels

INT: Burgoyne, Morrison, Impey, Howe

Can anybody see Lewis and Nash working together in the forward-line in 2019 or will it be too top heavy? Even though he’s relatively tall Nash plays more like a flanker then a key position player.

I do think there’s potentially a spot for Nash in the best 22 if he can improve on some of his deficiencies but that means Schoenmakers might be pushed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back