The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anybody see Lewis and Nash working together in the forward-line in 2019 or will it be too top heavy? Even though he’s relatively tall Nash plays more like a flanker then a key position player.

I wouldn't think that would be ideal this year, purely due to age and how they understand the craft, but we might see that become a preferred option from 2020-2021

I sometimes wonder if we have more than our fair share of pessimists on this forum.
Fans of the most successful AFL team in the last 60 years should be a bit more upbeat.
Imagine the poor bastards who have followed some less successful teams.
It seems a difficult concept for some to grasp but its perfectly possible to be an optimist towards the future fortunes of Hawthorn without having to be an optimist towards every player on the list or aspect of how the club is run.

Many posters on this board used to be extremely optimistic about Tom Murphy purely because he wore a Hawthorn jumper. Than didn't make them any more virtuous Hawthorn supporters than I am, it just made them blinkered idiots. Similarly, the writing's now on the wall for Grant Birchall but half the forum refuses to acknowledge it because its been years or decades since they opened the other eye.

Its also the nature of internet forums that people use them to shed their concerns and outpour fears they have pent up inside, something anonymity welcomes. Universally-positive posts tend to receive fewer replies & attention and generally stimulate less interesting conversations. The most boring threads are those where everyone agrees.

Can anybody see Lewis and Nash working together in the forward-line in 2019 or will it be too top heavy? Even though he’s relatively tall Nash plays more like a flanker then a key position player.

I do think there’s potentially a spot for Nash in the best 22 if he can improve on some of his deficiencies but that means Schoenmakers might be pushed out.
He needs to

1. Be able to kick straight. This is most important. Think he’s pocked up on the nuances of the game

2. Mark on the lead at head height. Being able to mark above his head would be preferable but he’s like a 198cm Paul Puopolo

What I really want to see...

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Birchall, Mohr, Sicily

C: Scully, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Shiels

INT: Henderson, Impey, Worpel, Morrison

What will probably happen...

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Scrimshaw, Brand, Sicily

C: Henderson, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Wingard, Lewis, Gunston

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Shiels

INT: Burgoyne, Morrison, Impey, Howe
No way will Worps be left out for Round one. He’s already a crowd favourite

It seems a difficult concept for some to grasp but its perfectly possible to be an optimist towards the future fortunes of Hawthorn without having to be an optimist towards every player on the list or aspect of how the club is run.

Many posters on this board used to be extremely optimistic about Tom Murphy purely because he wore a Hawthorn jumper. Than didn't make them any more virtuous Hawthorn supporters than I am, it just made them blinkered idiots. Similarly, the writing's now on the wall for Grant Birchall but half the forum refuses to acknowledge it because its been years or decades since they opened the other eye.

Its also the nature of internet forums that people use them to shed their concerns and outpour fears they have pent up inside, something anonymity welcomes. Universally-positive posts tend to receive fewer replies & attention and generally stimulate less interesting conversations. The most boring threads are those where everyone agrees.
Well said sir

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's an important thing to remember many of these teams listed don't have anyone for the relief Ruck.

One of Lewis, Ceglar, Pittonet, Obrien or Shoenmakers will play this role most weeks you would think.
Could Roughy play that role at this stage of his career? Would like to see Rough and Lewis share the 2nd ruck/key forward position. He was at his best when playing that role.

Your views on Birchall are very interesting. Without having any actual stats, when you look at the career of players in the AFL, Birch with 12 years and 245 games played would be well above the Ave. He was playing from his first year and that takes its toll.
It was something that came to mind when Brad Hill was traded. His 95 games with us was already over the Ave career games played.
Not sure what I am trying to say, but yeah if it is the end for Birch he has a great career and will be fondly remembered. Still would like him to come back a play a role for a few more years.

Who outside the best 22 will be pushing their case for a spot in the team this year? I can see Cousins being in the mix. I don’t think he’s a limited player at all. In the last two seasons at Box Hill he’s led in disposals, contested possessions, clearances, inside 50s and goals per game amongst the midfielders. The only knock on his game is his kicking. If he can push for a spot in the team then our midfield depth will be a lot better then what it was last season.

Before last season, roughly half this forum wanted to dump Sicily as badly as TOB. Anecdotes rarely prove a point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who outside the best 22 will be pushing their case for a spot in the team this year? I can see Cousins being in the mix. I don’t think he’s a limited player at all. In the last two seasons at Box Hill he’s led in disposals, contested possessions, clearances, inside 50s and goals per game amongst the midfielders. The only knock on his game is his kicking. If he can push for a spot in the team then our midfield depth will be a lot better then what it was last season.

I don't believe Cousins will, he's behind Howe and now Worpel. He's great back up but barring injury and huge dips in form will not get a run.

To figure out who might push for a spot we need to look at our areas where players may be vulnerable. For me, the weakest links aren't in the midfield any more.

We do, however, have some players hanging by their fingernails in positions at either end. The guys pushing for selection will be:

Hanrahan, Moore and Minchington (Puopolo's position or bench) - Both of the former had really solid BHH finals series last year and took over games. If Puopolo's form dips and they're playing good footy, he may be picked to play out his years in Box Hill a'la Osborne 2012 and 2013. Minchington has shown a lot of promise and if uninjured could be a smokey.

Lewis (Schoenmaker's position) - Lewis has proven both promising and hard working through the VFL, and has developed in leaps and bounds since being drafted. Tall, athletic and unless Schoe has a late career renaissance as a marking forward I think he'll be at risk of falling out of his spot to young Lewis who needs senior footy to develop further.

Scrimshaw or (don't hate) Tim O'Brien (Birchall incumbent) - If Birchall remains injured and doesn't play senior footy as hoped, I have hopes that Scrimshaw could rally some solid VFL performances (fingers crossed) into his Hawthorn berth. O'Brien on the other hand showed some immense form in defense over the latter part of 2018, and if he trains with that group in this off season he could be a good chance of even starting the year at AFL level down there.

Tim Mohr (No direct replacement, second key back) - If we face facts, Brand hasn't quite been able to solidify the second key back position and he rarely converts good Box Hill form into consecutive solid performances at AFL level. He looks right at home some days, and completely out of his element at others. Tim Mohr is a great mature choice who can stand against the talls that Frawley struggles with, namely Lynch/Daniher/Brown and other long limbed marking forwards.

I do think there’s potentially a spot for Nash in the best 22 if he can improve on some of his deficiencies but that means Schoenmakers might be pushed out.
Not sure if we can carry both unless one has a real break out season but I think you answered your own question Nash doesn't play like a tall, elite speed and agility and not just for his height. I wouldn't mind seeing him play on a wing has the speed and endurance for it and wouldn't be alot of people that could comepte with him in the air that could also keep up with him.

I have high hopes for Minchington. He may thrive with Wingard and Breust getting a lot of the oppos attention.

I have high hopes for Minchington. He may thrive with Wingard and Breust getting a lot of the oppos attention.
I reckon his greatest challenge will be getting a game; I'm pretty comfortable that he'll perform well if given opportunities.

Interesting you bring up Murphy, nobody was extremely optimistic about Murphy he was an average small defender and was never anything else, I had to speak up though when legions of frothing at the mouth fans were outraged that he couldn't play at fullback all season and couldn't deal with Naitanui, that doesn't make me a blinkered idiot I was being reasonable. We do have extremely negative fans, I recall being called an idiot for saying we'd make finals last year.

I think we are probably still 12 months away from a big break out from Nash, i am excited about what he can bring to the team but his kicking is just too much of a liability. If he can be just an average kick (both in general field play and set shots) i think he has the potential to be a star. I just don't think he will be able to reach the level we need over one off season. It's going to take time but we will see signs throughout the year of the player he can be, i think we will see more of Hodgey this year.

Interesting you bring up Murphy, nobody was extremely optimistic about Murphy he was an average small defender and was never anything else, I had to speak up though when legions of frothing at the mouth fans were outraged that he couldn't play at fullback all season and couldn't deal with Naitanui, that doesn't make me a blinkered idiot I was being reasonable. We do have extremely negative fans, I recall being called an idiot for saying we'd make finals last year.
Chris Fagan used to speak very highly of Tom Murphy back in the day. Said that he always did as instructed and was never in the wrong spot and never made mostly made the right decisions. His drawback was he simply couldn't compete with the bigger players, he'd be there and possition himself well but just couldn't hold them off or outreach them.

He eventually also got over his disposal issues when he knew to take the first easiest option, it wasn't his skill that was the problem but his indecision which caused him to rush or kick to poor options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back