The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm getting excited at the thought of practice matches rolling around in 2 weeks.

I think this year more than most out B22 is open especially with Mitchell going down.

B: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Sicily O'Brien Burgoyne
C: Smith Worpel Henderson
HF: Wingard Gunston Breust
F: Puopolo Ceglar Roughead
R: McEvoy JOM Shiels

I: Howe Morrison Cousins Impey

E: Mirra Glass Nash Scrimshaw

Can see Scully and Birchall missing early. TOB and Brand interchangeable at this stage, as are Ceglar and Schoey. Hope to see Lewis go nuts as well.

I'm getting excited at the thought of practice matches rolling around in 2 weeks.

I think this year more than most out B22 is open especially with Mitchell going down.

Can see Scully and Birchall missing early. TOB and Brand interchangeable at this stage, as are Ceglar and Schoey. Hope to see Lewis go nuts as well.
Looks pretty good, except for the bolded bit.

Cegs is a genuine Ruckman & a marking target around the ground & up forward. Schoey hopes to bring the ball to ground for others. It’s Cegs, all day, for mine.

Comparative stats, albeit from a couple of years back (2016): https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...pid2=3122&fid1=P&fopt1=2016&fid2=P&fopt2=2016

Scrimshaw for Birchall
Minchington/Cousins for Mitchell

If Scully doesn’t play Round 1, Henderson is already in the best 22. Rather then being a bench player he goes straight into the starting 18.

Midfield rotations will likely include; O’Meara, Shiels, Worpel, Roughead, Burgoyne, Minchington, Wingard, Impey, Breust, Smith, Henderson, Morrison and Howe.

Mohr or Brand will be needed to be the second key defender to allow Sicily to play his own game as a half back flanker.

Scrimshaw for Birchall
Minchington/Cousins for Mitchell

If Scully doesn’t play Round 1, Henderson is already in the best 22. Rather then being a bench player he goes straight into the starting 18.

Midfield rotations will likely include; O’Meara, Shiels, Worpel, Roughead, Burgoyne, Minchington, Wingard, Impey, Breust, Smith, Henderson, Morrison and Howe.

Mohr or Brand will be needed to be the second key defender to allow Sicily to play his own game as a half back flanker.

We didn't play one last year and it went alright for Sic.

This continually gets raised, and Clarko continually will not pick two key backs that provide little to no rebound or intercept marking. Only one of Frawley, Brand or Mohr plays.

If anything, O'Brien will play CHB as he looks a prospect there and can intercept mark. Otherwise, Sicily will just remain as he was and back himself and our structures in.

This continually gets raised, and Clarko continually will not pick two key backs that provide little to no rebound or intercept marking. Only one of Frawley, Brand or Mohr plays.

If anything, O'Brien will play CHB as he looks a prospect there and can intercept mark. Otherwise, Sicily will just remain as he was and back himself and our structures in.

Brand over TOB

O’Brien is not capable of holding down a key position spot. Not as a key forward or a key defender. He just happens to be a tall flanker.

Plus O’Brien is just a depth player in case of injury/suspension. He’s already behind a number of other players in the pecking order at both ends of the ground. I would be surprised if he’s in the best 22 by the end of the year.

O’Brien is not capable of holding down a key position spot. Not as a key forward or a key defender. He’s just happens to be a tall flanker.

Plus O’Brien is just a depth player in case of injury/suspension. He’s already behind a number of other players in the pecking order. I would be surprised if he’s in the best 22 by the end of the year.

Well we will all know soon enough I guess. I suspect we will see him down back early in the season.

Either way, Clarko has shown he is not going to play Brand and Frawley together. Mohr is more of the same.

Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's, not just for round 1, and giving my thoughts as well.

Feedback is appreciated.

FULL BACK: Hardwick ~ Frawley ~ Impey
HALF BACK: Sicily ~ Stratton ~ Burgoyne/ Birchall

WINGS: Shiels ~ Smith
CENTRE: O'Meara

HALF FWD: Gunston ~ Roughead ~ Wingard
FULL FWD: Bruest ~ Ceglar ~ Puopolo

RUCK: McEvoy
FOLLOWERS: Howe ~ Worpel

INTERCHANGE: Morrison ~ Scully ~ Henderson ~ Birchall/ Burgoyne

NOT CONSIDERED: Mitchell

1ST STRING (No particular order) Schoenmakers ~ Lewis ~ Nash ~ Glass ~ Cousins ~ O'Brien ~ Pittonet ~ Brand ~ Mirra ~ Minchington ~ Mohr

2ND STRING (No particular order) Walker ~ Koschitzke ~ Moore ~ Ross ~ Jones ~ Hanrahan ~ Miles ~ Jiath ~ Greaves ~ Golds

2nd stringers are basically new draftees and rookies to invest time into. For me natural growth suggests that Moore, Ross and Jones will be close to first stringers by season's end with maybe someone like Puopolo being phased out into the new decade.

Just touching on Will Golds, I really like that pick. Was keen on him later in the draft or rookie for West Coast but our picks didn't really sit where he was expected to fall.

1st stringers are guys who have had a taste for it but are behind more experienced players. Easy to forget that Mohr isn't young anymore, was a foundation player at GWS and mature ager when he started there so I'd say he is much closer to 30 than 25.

Saying that if Frawley was to miss a game I think he or Brand would slot straight into FB.

Fingers crossed on Lewis, fair to assume he is being more viewed as a Roughead replacement when he retires but is probably more of a key forward than ruck/ fwd which is why I've gone Ceglar.

Biggest midfield change is the addition of Worpel to the starting 5 mids. Morrison and Scully (if fit) offer great rotations with running power in the outside midfield also.

In the back half the only substantial change is Birchall for Burton. I don't think Duryea had dibs on that smaller defender role anymore because of Hardwick's progression.

Duryea would have been handy depth but with a fit Scully and Wingard added in he would've had a hard time of being best 22 regularly.

TO would have to dominate the pre-season to start at CHB for mine. I'd have Mohr and Brand ahead of him at this stage....

Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's, not just for round 1, and giving my thoughts as well.

Feedback is appreciated.

1ST STRING (No particular order) Schoenmakers ~ Lewis ~ Nash ~ Glass ~ Cousins ~ O'Brien ~ Pittonet ~ Brand ~ Mirra ~ Minchington ~ Mohr

2ND STRING (No particular order) Walker ~ Koschitzke ~ Moore ~ Ross ~ Jones ~ Hanrahan ~ Miles ~ Jiath ~ Greaves ~ Golds

2nd stringers are basically new draftees and rookies to invest time into. For me natural growth suggests that Moore, Ross and Jones will be close to first stringers by season's end with maybe someone like Puopolo being phased out into the new decade.

Just touching on Will Golds, I really like that pick. Was keen on him later in the draft or rookie for West Coast but our picks didn't really sit where he was expected to fall.

1st stringers are guys who have had a taste for it but are behind more experienced players. Easy to forget that Mohr isn't young anymore, was a foundation player at GWS and mature ager when he started there so I'd say he is much closer to 30 than 25.

Saying that if Frawley was to miss a game I think he or Brand would slot straight into FB.

Fingers crossed on Lewis, fair to assume he is being more viewed as a Roughead replacement when he retires but is probably more of a key forward than ruck/ fwd which is why I've gone Ceglar.

Biggest midfield change is the addition of Worpel to the starting 5 mids. Morrison and Scully (if fit) offer great rotations with running power in the outside midfield also.

In the back half the only substantial change is Birchall for Burton. I don't think Duryea had dibs on that smaller defender role anymore because of Hardwick's progression.

Duryea would have been handy depth but with a fit Scully and Wingard added in he would've had a hard time of being best 22 regularly.
Spot on with your analysis, not much to argue with here!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be a massive test for our battling midfield vs the likes of Sloane & Crouch x 2 on their home deck.
Agree i am not very confident without tom, i was 50/50 before his injury i think the crows can only go up after under achieving last season.

My team for the crows match atm, I think we will run with 3talls, because of the crows height and stratts has a great record on eddie.
Otherwise i would say Talls: Chip,Sic,Stratts Smalls: Hardwick,Impey, scrimshaw/birchall.
I wouldn't be surprised if moore or walker debut in a forward pocket allowing breust and poppy to rotate on the ball.

B: Stratts, Frawley, Brand
HB: Hardwick, Sicily, Impey
C: Morrison, Worpel, Smith
HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne <---- Yum what a combination
F: Breust, Roughy, Poppy
R: Mcevoy, Omeara, Shiels

Bench Ceglar,Hendo,
take your pick Howe,Cousins,Meadows,Scrimshaw,Miles,Walker,Moore,Schoey,Tob

Last edited:

Feedback is appreciated.

Nailed it. Obviously if Scully is fit, he and Smith take a wing each.

In fact, I’d love to see Scully v Gaff on a wing one day. What a match up.

B:Glass Stratton Hardwick
HB: Birchall/Scrimshaw Sicily Impey

Glass may not find a spot over the likes of Frawley or Brand but believe his run out of the backline may be a valuable asset for us with impey looking to play some increased midfield time. Birchall/Scrimshaw probably rests with birch's fitness/
C:Smith Worpel Shiels
R:Jaegs Howe McEvoy

See no reason why this won't be our starting midield group although it's not preferable to have shiels on a wing. Someone else will be there I assume. With assistance from scully(when fit), impey, wingard, morrison, breust, henderson, puopolo, roughy and/or the second ruck option we should be able to have a decent enough midfield to make things work although there is no doubt that mitchell's vacancy leaves a hole bigger than the one in my heart after malceski's 2012 sealer.
HF: Wingard Gunston Morrison
F: Puopolo Roughy Breust

Puopolo likely to lose games to youngsters along with probably Roughy as well through the season. Gunston may be deployed somewhere else and wouldn't be surprised to see wingard and breust with significant midfield roles. Would love to see Mitch Lewis have a crack in full foward.
I: Cegs/Pittonet Henderson Nash/Schoenmakers Brand
Not sure who starts the season as our #2 ruckman, heard both cegs and pitto have had good preseasons. Think Brand is deserving of a starting 22 spot and believe he is a more than capable defender with decent intercept abilities too. Think it's time that schoenmakers stepped up to make a real impact on this team with our lack of forward options. For me, he fades in and out of games and just hasn't had enough of an impact to warrant continued selection as a forward. Either he finds his role this year or is overtaken by the youth.

HB: Birchall/Scrimshaw Sicily Impey
Glass may not find a spot over the likes of Frawley or Brand but believe his run out of the backline may be a valuable asset for us with impey looking to play some increased midfield time. Birchall/Scrimshaw probably rests with birch's fitness/
C:Smith Worpel Shiels
R:Jaegs Howe McEvoy

See no reason why this won't be our starting midield group although it's not preferable to have shiels on a wing. Someone else will be there I assume. With assistance from scully(when fit), impey, wingard, morrison, breust, henderson, puopolo, roughy and/or the second ruck option we should be able to have a decent enough midfield to make things work although there is no doubt that mitchell's vacancy leaves a hole bigger than the one in my heart after malceski's 2012 sealer.
Personally I'd have Scully more likely than Birchall. Frawley in for Glass.

Personally I'd have Scully more likely than Birchall. Frawley in for Glass.
but scully wont be ready to play anywhere near round 1.

Frawley is a tricky one for me, because i love Brand's game so much and think having both brand and frawley in the team will cause limitations to our rebounding. Pretty hard to not give the man a spot after what he's done for our club though.

but scully wont be ready to play anywhere near round 1.

Frawley is a tricky one for me, because i love Brand's game so much and think having both brand and frawley in the team will cause limitations to our rebounding. Pretty hard to not give the man a spot after what he's done for our club though.
From what I've read, I got the impression both have a potential timeline within the first four weeks. I don't think Birch will be ready round 1 either. Perhaps training goers can advise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back