The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I've read, I got the impression both have a potential timeline within the first four weeks. I don't think Birch will be ready round 1 either. Perhaps training goers can advise.

i was under the impression birchall was probably tracking for rounds 1-5 and scully still fair while off probably mid season

I think we will get comfortably beaten in Adelaide and if we don't make the most of winnable games vs Dogs, North & Saints that follow then we could be in for a difficult season.

Fb: Hardwick Frawley Sicily
Hb: Howe Stratton Impey
Ce: Smith O'Meara Henderson
Hf: Breust Schoenmakers Gunston
Ff: Puopolo Roughead Burgoyne
Rr: McEvoy Shiels Wingard

Int: Ceglar Morrison Worpel Minchington

Interesting. I think Howe in the back (I would change positions a bit in the back six but that's neither here nor there) will be replaced by either Mirra or Glass. I think Wingard will displace Schoenmakers in the front line (again, positions would be different for me). Howe will be a follower. I also think Nash gets in before Minchington.

Fb: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Hb: Glass Sicily Impey
Hf: Breust Gunston Wingard
Rr: McEvoy Shiels Howe

Int: Ceglar Morrison Worpel Nash

(If Mirra instead of glass then move Strats up to CHB and Sicily over to HBF)

This will be my first after having a look at pre-seasons reports.

Gonna assume neither Birch or Scully plays rd1.

B: Stratton Brand Hardwick
HB: Sicily Frawley Impey
C: Henderson Howe Smith
HF: Puopolo Gunston Wingard
F: Ceglar Roughead Bruest
Foll: McEvoy Shiels O’Meara
Int: Burgoyne Worpel Morrison Moore

Emg: Nash Mohr Cousins Jones

B: Hardwick Frawley Impey
HB: Sicily Brand Stratton
C: Smith O’Meara Henderson
HF: Wingard Roughead Burgoyne
F: Breust Gunston Puopolo
R: Mcevoy Worpel Shiels
INT: Ceglar Morrison Howe Cousins

Mix of old and new plus three mids on the bench to add to the starting three plus Burgoyne and Wingard which is more then enough midfield depth.
Cegs is a must more as a 65/35 frwd/ruck and height down back with brand to help out Chip and allow Sicily to sag off as a Running, intercepting HB as I have reservations about him playing as a CHB.

B: Hardwick Frawley Impey
HB: Sicily Brand Stratton
C: Smith O’Meara Henderson
HF: Wingard Roughead Burgoyne
F: Breust Gunston Puopolo
R: Mcevoy Worpel Shiels
INT: Ceglar Morrison Howe Cousins

Mix of old and new plus three mids on the bench to add to the starting three plus Burgoyne and Wingard which is more then enough midfield depth.
Cegs is a must more as a 65/35 frwd/ruck and height down back with brand to help out Chip and allow Sicily to sag off as a Running, intercepting HB as I have reservations about him playing as a CHB.

Reckon this is what we'll see round one unless Scrimshaw/Moore/Nash push hard for selection during the JLT. Birchall/Scully also on the horizon.

I can’t see Ceglar, Nash and Schoenmakers in the same team. It just won’t work. Then there’s Lewis as the other option in the reserves.

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Scrimshaw, Brand, Sicily

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Morrison, Ceglar, Impey, Cousins

I can’t see Ceglar, Nash and Schoenmakers in the same team. It just won’t work. Then there’s Lewis as the other option in the reserves.

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Scrimshaw, Brand, Sicily

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Morrison, Ceglar, Impey, Cousins
I think this is bang on, but I think Howe will get the nod ahead of Scrimshaw. Still disappointed Scrimmers didn’t get a run against the Blues

Has Minchington done anything to suggest he will be picked for round 1?

Would have thought a number are ahead of him, based on pre-season so far...

Has Minchington done anything to suggest he will be picked for round 1?

Would have thought a number are ahead of him, based on pre-season so far...
Best way to describe Minch is that he is a ‘ opportunistic small forward’ but doesn’t seem to have the running power of Moore. Very much a depth player and where the hell is Ollie!???

Here goes...

B: Stratton Frawley Hardwick
HB: Sicily Brand Impey
HF: Breust Gunston Wingard
F: Poppy McEvoy Moore
Foll: Cegs Shiels O’Meara
Int: Burgoyne Worpel Morrison Roughy

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, sans-serif]Scully would be the only inclusion I can see at this stage for Moore as best 22.
Birch has to get on the park first..
Cuz will get opportunity as will Glass & Nash.
The remaining players are depth or yet to push for selection imo & all important just the same as that’s where the fun is in seeing who comes on.[/FONT]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the praccy match, it looks like:

B: Burgoyne Frawley Hardwick
HB: Sicily Stratton Impey
HF: Breust Roughead Gunston
F: Puopolo Ceglar Wingard
Int: Nash Worpel Morrison Moore

Cousins, Jones fighting with Moore for that last spot. Will need to fit in Scully too.

Cousins, Jones fighting with Moore for that last spot. Will need to fit in Scully too.
Burgoyne playing back pocket???

I like this one, but I just don't see Moore starting Round 1.

Reasoning: guys will gas out quick & we'll need midfield rotations. He's a running machine, but I don't think he can run through the middle.

If we reckon we can play him FP/Wing (sending Smitty or Hendo into the middle) then maybe, but I reckon we'll be conservative for Rnd 1 & select Cuz.

Hb: Howe Stratton Miles
Ce: Smith O'Meara Shiels
Hf: Breust Burgoyne Gunston
Ff: Puopolo Roughead Nash
Rr: McEvoy Wingard Worpel

Int: Ceglar Morrison Henderson Impey

If preferable I'd have someone other than Wingard as RR but hey...
Tempted to have Howe in the guts but his run off half back is useful. He's a good target and Wingard can also play half back so...
I feel like Miles isn't a certainty to start but he's a good player who just needs experience
Nash should be a certainty to start, I hear his kicking has massively improved which'll be great.
Burgoyne's run from half forward can be utilised in the middle as well.

Hb: Howe Stratton Miles
Ce: Smith O'Meara Shiels
Hf: Breust Burgoyne Gunston
Ff: Puopolo Roughead Nash
Rr: McEvoy Wingard Worpel

Int: Ceglar Morrison Henderson Impey

If preferable I'd have someone other than Wingard as RR but hey...
Tempted to have Howe in the guts but his run off half back is useful. He's a good target and Wingard can also play half back so...
I feel like Miles isn't a certainty to start but he's a good player who just needs experience
Nash should be a certainty to start, I hear his kicking has massively improved which'll be great.
Burgoyne's run from half forward can be utilised in the middle as well.
The one concern I have about playing Burgers in the forward line is that towards the latter end of last season he seemed to loose confidence / power in his kicking for goal.
Many times he tried to thread a pinpoint pass to a leading target when in the past he would have gone back from 50m out and banged it through the middle.
Funnily enough his burst of speed and contested marking are as good as ever though so if he can regain confidence in his kicking for goal he will be an asset as a forward.

Bang!

FB: Hardwick Frawley Sicily
HB: Stratton Brand Impey
CE: Smith O'Meara Henderson
HF: Wingard Gunston Burgoyne
FF: Breust Roughead Puopolo
RR: McEvoy Shiels Worpel

INT: Ceglar Morrison Scrimshaw Howe
EMG: Nash Mohr Cousins Moore

FB: Hardwick Frawley Sicily
HB: Stratton Brand Impey
CE: Smith O'Meara Henderson
HF: Wingard Gunston Burgoyne
FF: Breust Roughead Puopolo
RR: McEvoy Shiels Worpel

INT: Ceglar Morrison Scrimshaw Howe
EMG: Nash Mohr Cousins Moore

Don’t think Cousins will be a EMG if he continues in the form her should v the Blues in the JLT

Don’t think Cousins will be a EMG if he continues in the form her should v the Blues in the JLT

You could very well be right, however it was against a team that our VFLW side could have beaten.

While I do feel that he will prove to be a handy player, I think it'd better serve all involved if he continued to improve his craft at a lower level.

If he was to come into the side then hopefully it would be for Howe, because I'd really like to see Scrimshaw given an early block of games, to see what he's got.

He won’t pick Brand.

Nash will play.

Cousins for Skrillex.

I think towards the end of the season, when both Brand and Frawley were playing, they complimented each other well.

I think it's more a confidence issue with Brand than anything, give the kid some games and see if he makes it.

As for Nash, he still has plenty to work on.

I'd still prefer Cousins in for Howe, as I feel that while he wears his heart on his sleeve and definitely flys the flag, he is a very limited footballer.

I just have a feeling that if we pump games into Scrimshaw early, that it will pay off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back