The Round 1 2019 team thread...

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
fantasy question here gents. James cousins. 2 weeks ago no-one on this board had james cousins in their best 22. Now he is in everyone's best 22. Even starting in the square. what's the deal? Is he going to lose his spot after 1 or 2 weeks or is he a genuine player that will benefit from the loss of Mitchell. Save me the headache :)

Absolute fantasy lock.. will be a 90+ scorer all year and should either be starting or 1st rotation in the mid, he has been our bog for pre season

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stratton - Frawley - Hardwick
Impey - Brand - Sicily

Smith - Omera - Henderson

Gunston - Roughead - Burgoyne
Puopolo - Ceglar - Breust

McEvoy - Shiels - Cousins

IC: Worpel - Nash - Morrison - Moore

Em: Lewis - Scrimshaw - Hanrahan

Out: Wingard - Mitchell - Birchall - Scully - Howe

Our full side competes with just about any side but we have 4 elite A-grade players who won’t play, makes it tough but gee adding that quality and we have an exciting team.

Stratton - Frawley - Hardwick
Impey - Brand - Sicily

Smith - Omera - Henderson

Gunston - Roughead - Burgoyne
Puopolo - Ceglar - Breust

McEvoy - Shiels - Cousins

IC: Worpel - Nash - Morrison - Moore

Em: Lewis - Scrimshaw - Hanrahan

Out: Wingard - Mitchell - Birchall - Scully - Howe

Our full side competes with just about any side but we have 4 elite A-grade players who won’t play, makes it tough but gee adding that quality and we have an exciting team.
Gee, that line-up does give me some confidence...

Especially with the additions of Birchall, Scully, Wingard & maybe Howe. We’re still weak (or shallow) in the Centre Square, but nowhere else.

*Edit: KPF...:rolleyes:

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee, that line-up does give me some confidence...

Especially with the additions of Birchall, Scully, Wingard & maybe Howe. We’re still weak (or shallow) in the Centre Square, but nowhere else.

*Edit: KPF...:rolleyes:

Well our weakness might not be so if Cousins and Worpel perform as they show they could, that’s 2 inside bulls that are our next wave, could end up being a strength?

Well our weakness might not be so if Cousins and Worpel perform as they show they could, that’s 2 inside bulls that are our next wave, could end up being a strength?
Yeah, I’m not writing them off for the future, just saying that (for now) we’re weak in the middle & definitely shallow.

Even if those 2x guys play as well as we all hope, they’re young: they’re going to struggle to run out games; they’re going to get sore & they’re going to be inconsistent.

Definitely could end up being a strength, but for now is a weakness.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, I’m not writing them off for the future, just saying that (for now) we’re weak in the middle & definitely shallow.

Even if those 2x guys play as well as we all hope, they’re young: they’re going to struggle to run out games; they’re going to get sore & they’re going to be inconsistent.

Definitely could end up being a strength, but for now is a weakness.

Im a bit more confident in the short term with Cuz than Worpel, only because he’s had that extra year and you can see in his body he is a genuine bull, he has put on weight and looks more confident.

Let’s see what he gives tonight, will be interesting.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Im a bit more confident in the short term with Cuz than Worpel, only because he’s had that extra year and you can see in his body he is a genuine bull, he has put on weight and looks more confident.

Let’s see what he gives tonight, will be interesting.

Has started well. Cuz is surely an absolute lock for round 1 now.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Based on the two JLT games and our structures/injuries:

B: Stratton Brand Sicily
HB: Impey Frawley Hardwick
C: Smith Sheils Henderson
HF: Puopolo Lewis Gunston
F: Bruest Roughead Burgoyne
Fol: McEvoy O’Meara Worpel
Int: Ceglar Morrison Cousins Scrimshaw

Emg: Nash Hanrahan Golds

I'm actually prepared not to play McEvoy against Adelaide. The new rules hurt him in the middle and Jacobs is one of few that has actually pantsed Ben around the grounds historically. It doesn't discount him against top teams like... Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong... but it will be hard going forward to select him against say Natanui or Gawn… For me that means Nash or Schoe play. My guess is though McEvoy will play and it will hurt us in the middle, hopefully he does as much as Jacobs around the ground.

My 22 for round one:
FB: Stratton Frawley Hardwick
HB: Scrimshaw Brand Sicily
Ce: Smith Shiels Henderson
HF: Burgoyne Lewis Breust
FF: Puopolo Roughead Nash
Fol: McEvoy O'Meara Worpel

Int: Cousins Ceglar Impey Morrison

Note that if they haven't played in JLT I haven't included them. Gunston is about the only one that we are talking about so perhaps he will be for in which case he comes in for Lewis

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Hardwick Brand Impey
Sicily Stratton scrimshaw

Henderson O’Meara Shiels
Mcevoy Cousins Worpel

Hanrahan Lewis Burgoyne
Gunston Roughead Puopolo

Int.chg: Moore Cegs Breust Smith

Give the younguns a good proper month of senior footy and don’t rush injured players back. And clarko should pull the pin on experienced players who don’t get the job done!! This is s nice opportunity to set up the next 6-7 years as I see 2019 as a free hit!

My 22 for round one:
FB: Stratton Frawley Hardwick
HB: Scrimshaw Brand Sicily
Ce: Smith Shiels Henderson
HF: Burgoyne Lewis Breust
FF: Puopolo Roughead Nash
Fol: McEvoy O'Meara Worpel

Int: Cousins Ceglar Impey Morrison

Note that if they haven't played in JLT I haven't included them. Gunston is about the only one that we are talking about so perhaps he will be for in which case he comes in for Lewis

I would swap Gunston for Nash, rather than Lewis. Would be slightly surprised to see Brand play with Frawley, but I actually prefer it that way.

Will be interesting to see the first few weeks and changes that take place as we get injured players back.

The Offerman

All Australian
Oct 8, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What will be interesting I think will be how we structure up with the tall options. I think we saw the benefits of having Lewis alongside Roughead in that it meant Rough wasn't being triple teamed at contests and he did really well when given either a one on one contest or the option to lead. So I think Lewis has to play. Then you move to the backs and obviously Frawley plays, and KB depending on the oppo tall targets, the one thing I'm not a fan of is seeing a Burgoyne in the past forced to play key back because we've opted to go in small. The contentious one for me is two rucks, two fold issue for me as I think McEvoy rucks better on his own and don't really rate anything about Ceglar. That said, completely expect him to play most weeks.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Missing:
- Mitchell
- Gunston
- Wingard
- Shiels
- Birchall
- Scully
- Howe

Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Scrimshaw - Brand - Sicily

Big Boy - O'Meara - Cousins
Smith - Worpel - Henderson

Burgoyne - Lewis - ???
Breust - Roughie - Puopolo

Int: Ceglar, Morrison, Impey, ???​

I would swap Gunston for Nash, rather than Lewis. Would be slightly surprised to see Brand play with Frawley, but I actually prefer it that way.

Will be interesting to see the first few weeks and changes that take place as we get injured players back.
I was really turn between Lewis and Nash for gunners. I went Nash as he has shown a fair bit more at ground level.

Brand was more a decision based on Adelaide having Jenkins, Walker and Lynch up forward but I agree that it's not a proven option as yet.

I was really turn between Lewis and Nash for gunners. I went Nash as he has shown a fair bit more at ground level.

Brand was more a decision based on Adelaide having Jenkins, Walker and Lynch up forward but I agree that it's not a proven option as yet.
It's a fair call on both fronts. I really want Nash to be ready, but I don't think we can carry guys who only really impact one match in four - no matter how much they impact. I think with his height and ability to crash packs Lewis has more of an impact on each game (if he keeps it up!), whereas Nash must get tackles and touches to impact, which he isn't always doing. Both still raw, both with potential. We may see both play together later in the year if they both come on and we aren't in the mix for finals.

The Offerman

All Australian
Oct 8, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nash brings a great amount of ferocity in his tackles and endeavour, I'm just not sure we see enough of it over the course of a match for him to occupy one of the tall slots. When you add into that he's not a good mark even matched up on smalls and a pretty awful kick of the footy, it's hard for me to select him.

Back