The Round 1 2019 team thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Nash just got upgraded. He's a lock.

Needs to be upgraded to be listed in 26 man squad... so not necessarily

If Brands fit for round 1 he plays and is required against Tex and Jenkins. Allows Stratton to play Betts and Sicily to play smaller.

Or Stratts goes to Tex and you play smaller with scrimshaw on T.Lynch

If Brands fit for round 1 he plays and is required against Tex and Jenkins. Allows Stratton to play Betts and Sicily to play smaller.

Agree re the match ups.

I think we’ll go with Nash to tag Brodie Smith or Laird anyway.

What’s happening with Minchington? Not listed on the injury list, didn’t play in the two JLT games and the VFL practice game either. If he’s available I’d like to see him in the team coming off the bench for some extra speed.

Hawks wouldn't have upgraded him if they weren't planning on giving him more games

What’s happening with Minchington? Not listed on the injury list, didn’t play in the two JLT games and the VFL practice game either. If he’s available I’d like to see him in the team coming off the bench for some extra speed.

he is probably injured, the club is terrible at telling us when players are injured, remember when they didnt tell us Burgoyne was injured in last years finals and he had a poor finals series? yea thats our club.

he is probably injured, the club is terrible at telling us when players are injured, remember when they didnt tell us Burgoyne was injured in last years finals and he had a poor finals series? yea thats our club.
What are you suggesting here? That if the club had been upfront about Burgoyne's injury that he wouldn't have then had a poor finals series? If he's playing with injury then keeping that information secret is exactly the right move to make.

Adelaides height is misleading. Tex is a hit-up CHF. He isn't going to hurt you with contested marking. This is why Clarko has been happy to role Burton and Sicily on him in the past. I'm hopeful Clarko just lets Sicily go to him, the ball will be in his area and I think he will just beat up on an incredibly overrated Walker.

Jenkins will play the stay at home forward and Frawley will take him. Lynch is a high-half forward that does his damage due to an elite tank. I love him as a player. I'm not sure if Scrimshaw would have the tank to play with him an entire game, so I'd expect our half-backs to rotate on him. Scrimshaw would be a good matchup deep.

Stratton will likely get Betts.

McGovern was actually there most dangerous contested mark despite being smaller than Walker and Jenkins.

Last edited:
Yes they should definitely have come out before the game and let everyone know that Burgoyne was playing with broken ribs

What's the likelihood of Scrimshaw and Jones both getting games?

Scrimshaw is a very good chance to play Round 1. As for Harrison Jones considering the Hawks have already upgraded Conor Nash and that Jones is still on the rookie list it’s highly unlikely he will play any games this year.

I thought Nash was a Cat B so had to be upgraded to play AFL where Jones is a rookie and can play if selected.

If Jones does make his debut, I wouldn't expect it, unless we have some serious injuries to our midfield, until late in the season, ala Morrison 2 years ago.

Someone alluded prior to his drafting that we were keen, despite his injury in the U18 year, and it may have been a 'blessing in disguise' that he wasn't playing and slipped way down the order. It certainly sounds promising when our training track-work team are giving great insight into what is really going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the likelihood of Scrimshaw and Jones both getting games?

Unless the club gets the bubonic plague... no chance for mine.

Scrimmers definitely in the mix, but a number ahead of Jones, even with our injuries...

No doubt but doesnt necessarily mean hes a lock for round 1
Thoroughly agree. i remember a couple of players over the years getting good news, upgrades and contract extensions only to not play the following weeks. Think it's Clarko saying "I love ya but..."

No doubt but doesnt necessarily mean hes a lock for round 1
Yeah but he played both finals last year, he's played in the A team forward line a lot over the preseason and they didn't need to upgrade him this week of they weren't planning on playing him next week

Yeah but he played both finals last year, he's played in the A team forward line a lot over the preseason and they didn't need to upgrade him this week of they weren't planning on playing him next week

He'd certainly be in the squad of 25 being considered, along with the usuals, Cuz, Moore...

This is what I don't understand about people who leave him out.

From the team that played Melbourne in the semi final, duryea, Burton and Mitchell are out and questions about whether mirra, Howe and gunston will be selected form and fitness.

So you have 3-6 ins before you drop Nash.

So who are the tall forwards taking his spot?

Lewis.....maybe 50/50 on Nash v Lewis but both could easily play. Especially if gunston is out.
Tob.........not a chance
Kosi....... Not available and no chance
Brand...... Nope a chance to replace mirra
Sicily....... Will be backline you will think
Ceglar....... Likely to play. Likely shoenmakers out.

So my guess is:
out: Burton , duryea (traded) Mitchell (injured), shoenmakers, Mirra (omitted)

In: scrimshaw(Burton) Stratton (mirra) O'meara (Mitchell) ceglar (shoenmakers) Cousins (duryea)

*potential for Lewis, Glass etc... if Howe or gunston miss.

Fb: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick
Hb: impy, Sicily, scrimshaw
C: Smith, howe*, Henderson
Hf: Burgoyne, Roughead, gunston*
Ff: bruest, ceglar, puopolo
R: McEvoy, O'meara shiels
Int: Nash, Worpel, Morrison, Cousins

So 5 changes 3 forced through injury and trades. 2 are just ceglar and Stratton replacing shoey and Mirra which I think we all agree is an upgrade.

They needed to upgrade him to list him in the 26 as discussed already

They needed to upgrade him to list him in the 26 as discussed already
Which only matters if they want to play him.

And doesn't matter to you either way

Not long to go now..
B Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB Impey Brand Sicily
C Smith Howe Henderson
HF Gunston Ceglar Burgoyne
F Bruest Roughead Puopolo
R McEvoy O'Meara Shiels
Int Worpel Cousins Nash Morrison
Emer Mirra Lewis Scrimshaw Moore

1. Howe (if fit) to put a hard tag Sloane who is key to Adelaide's success but is vulnerable when tagged
2. Shiels to win his own footy but play a slightly defensive role on M.Crouch
3. Brand required in defense to free up Sicily by taking the extra tall
4. Jaeger to step up and take ownership of the midfield battle - 35 touches and 3 goals
5. Don't underestimate the ability of this group to dig in and grind out the 4 points in hostile territory, we've done it before and we can do it again...Hawks by 13 points

If Glass or TOB are anywhere near the senior side we might as well give up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back