Mead

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
I hate to descend to this level (well actually, no, i quite like to), but i just thought i'd say how much i'm looking forward to round one, and the thrashing we're going to give you poor purple wearing anchorheads. Its going to be made even sweeter by those oh-so-inapt remarks sabre has been making, about the eagles being 'reliant on cousins in the midfield'...I wish these next three weeks would fly, i really do. Then we can hand you a beating, and you can all cut to whining about how great you'll be *next* season, really!...

Originally posted by Mead
Its going to be made even sweeter by those oh-so-inapt remarks sabre has been making, about the eagles being 'reliant on cousins in the midfield'
Um, whats inapt?

And whilst Sabre does get a tad exciteable, do you really think you don't rely on little benny boy (another fremantle lad btw) carrying you?

Last year, he won 'transport operator of the year' for carrying so many passengers - why will this year be different?

Inapt- not apt. Sorry, i tend to play fast and loose with English sometimes.
You are totally correct about cousin's carrying the team last year, but i'd like to think things are going to be a bit different this year. With Cousins, Kerr, Matera, Judd, Wirrpunda, Braun, Gardie, Cox, Fletcher, Banfield, and Rowan Jones all back and healthy, and Chad Morrison almost there, suddenly the midfield looks a lot healthier than it is. Trolling aside, Fremantle has a very nice forward line, and the makings of a good backline, but they are weak in the midfield- if the derby is won or lost there (and most games are) i think you guys are in trouble

Originally posted by Mead
Inapt- not apt. Sorry, i tend to play fast and loose with English sometimes.
Hey all good, just had no idea of the word :)
You are totally correct about cousin's carrying the team last year, but i'd like to think things are going to be a bit different this year. With Cousins, Kerr, Matera, Judd, Wirrpunda, Braun, Gardie, Cox, Fletcher, Banfield, and Rowan Jones all back and healthy, and Chad Morrison almost there, suddenly the midfield looks a lot healthier than it is.
Yes, for sure, I must agree - but how many of those will be 'new' to the side?

Kerr, Matera, Gardiner, Cox, Fletcher, Banners and Jones all played most games, and Morrison over 1/2 the year, and Braun and Wirrapunda, for mine - the jury has to be still out, when was the last time they were ever healthy for a full season - isnt this Wirrapunda's 8th season ofr something crazy?
Trolling aside, Fremantle has a very nice forward line, and the makings of a good backline, but they are weak in the midfield- if the derby is won or lost there (and most games are) i think you guys are in trouble
I do agree with you there again - one thing to remember that perhaps our best 1/2 backline, hasnt even played a game yet, that being Haddrill, Mcphee and Mcpharlin - so that bodes well for the season proper once all are healthy again - but yes, our midfield is a weakness - that said we totally overran (albeit a very weakened) essendon last week, holding them goalless in the last quarter - a good sign that the midfield fitenss issues (in so far as running out of legs thanks to the ridiculous distance training) and rotation philosphy of Connelly is working.

It will be a cracker Rd1 - just wondering however - who the hell is going to kick your goals?

AHAHAAHAHAH
Look at the can of worms I have opened here.

If cousins doesnt break the 40 possession mark your side is never in the contest.
Its nice to see your getting this passionate already and boy is it going to be sweet when we beat you.
I just hope your around to take the medicine.

Originally posted by kuepper

Yes, for sure, I must agree - but how many of those will be 'new' to the side?

Kerr, Matera, Gardiner, Cox, Fletcher, Banners and Jones all played most games, and Morrison over 1/2 the year, and Braun and Wirrapunda, for mine - the jury has to be still out, when was the last time they were ever healthy for a full season - isnt this Wirrapunda's 8th season ofr something crazy?

The major differences would be: If pre-season is any indication Kerr has come on massively, and he was pretty good last year anyway. The word around the club is he's practically dean kemp reincarnate at this point. Cox has also showed some improvement, and more to the point he's stacked some muscle on, and looks slightly less like a beanpole. Thanks to KJ, matera spent most of the season in the HB line.
Banfield was injured for most of the season if i recall correctly. And you haven't mentioned Judd.
On Braun and Wirrpunda, i agree about the injury count, but players tend to go through phases where everything goes wrong again and again- i'm hoping that things begin to sort themselves out now. Besides, i was talking about round one, and barring massive misfortune, i can't see them hurting themselves before then. Overall, though, the real reason i hope the midfield will perk up is because last year our fundamental problem wasn't our list, it was our lack of skills (thank you very much, Ken Judge!). With a full preseason behind them with a competent coaching staff, i really really really hope that isn't going to be the case this season.

On the goal-kicking question- Wilson could be good for 6.0, or 0.6 depending on how much kicking training he gets in before the first game. What is more or less guaranteed is he'll take around 7 or 8 marks on the lead if our midfield delivery is up to scratch. I'll pencil him in for 3 goals.. Brent Tuckey looks to be a stayer, and has averaged 2 goals from HF during the preseason. Ditto michael gardiner. The goal sneak small forwards, matera, merenda and sampi should be good for around five or six between them, and then there's our other half forwards like haynes and embley, whilst if the preseason is any indicator, we'll get a few from the midfield as well. That ends up being around 16, which is reasonable. In any event in the glory days, the eagles used to win games consistently with 14 goals, simply by dominating the midfield and having a rock solid back line. I think the Eagles of 2002 will have to win in a similar way- if our midfield gets on top, and the backline is up to scratch, we'll be fine.
Just out of curiousity, do you think Pavlich will be play in the backline? I can't say i'm certain exactly what your HB/FB line is??

Originally posted by sabre_ac
AHAHAAHAHAH
Look at the can of worms I have opened here.

If cousins doesnt break the 40 possession mark your side is never in the contest.
Its nice to see your getting this passionate already and boy is it going to be sweet when we beat you.
I just hope your around to take the medicine.

The difference between our seasons last year, was if cousins didn't break the 30 possession mark our side was never in the contest.
Your side, on the other hand, was just never in the contest.

I take it you didn't watch the West Coast/Geelong game a couple of weeks ago? We won, and fairly convincingly at that, and got a total of ZERO possessions from Ben Cousins, since he wasn't playing.

Granted, talk is cheap. We'll see whose laughing come round one

Two years ago the Eagles looked awesome, thumping the Bombers in round 1. But what a poor season we had ......it was a flash in the pan.
So whoever wins in round 1 it will take another four or five games before either side can claim to be out of the cellar dweller department.
Both clubs have new coaches and some promising Wizard cup performances to give supporters heart and something to hope for. I believe that WCE have the better squad and should win the Derby, especially having home crowd advantage, but in reality we just don't know how well our guys are really going to go until the season starts.

One thing for sure is that two winning clubs in WA would be good for the game. So lets both get to the finals and have a third Derby at the MCG (with a WCE win :D)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back