Official Team Thread The Roys FFC Season 26 - Congrats TedDougChris!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats.JPG
Round 3 - Gold City Royals

Complete
We made it 3 in a row to start the new season, by brushing aside the Royals. TedDougChris was immense in the middle, 3KZ is Football had a lovely day against his former team, Broken continued to shake the rust out in the ruck and MannumPower power unshackled by the bench was our leading possession winner. Mooch was quiet up front with on 1, but _Mike_ Reardo and Runk spread love with 2 a piece.
R03 - Complete.JPG

TedDougChris was super immense, Matt_352 cracked the ton, and Mobbs has begun finding his groove. 16 posters into the thread, not bad, but lets see if we can keep pushing that 20 mark.
R03 - Posts.JPG

Medals
TedDougChris nabs a triple gold, the Roy rarity. Matt and 3KZ snare silver and Mobbs and Broken have a bronze each. Mannum was this close to snapping up a medal of his own.
R03 - Medals.JPG

Stats.JPG
Round 4 - Gumbies FFC

Complete
Is there a player out there in better from right now than 3KZ is Football? I think not. This week he put the gumbies to the sword. Matt_352, Broken and Reardo also had a fun day out carving up the Gumbies. TedDougChris continued his midfield masterclasses, and rookie Thommo333 keeps making positive steps. Mooch, Reardo, Barrels and Broken all nabbed 3 in a high-scoring affair.
R04 - Complete.JPG

Matt_352 again with strong numbers, Mobbs seems to be reveling being thrown into the thick of the things, TDC again consistent. Another 16 posters in and about. Azarole has gone quiet, as has _Mike_, but i'm sure they're are just coming in off a long run up to face the furies.
R04 - Posts.JPG

Medals
Matt takes home one of each, 3KZ with gold a plenty, Broken and Reardo with silvers, and TDC with a bronze
R04 - Medals.JPG

Happy Tuesday fine people of the SFA and welcome to the final instalment of the "Coffee with KohPhi" S.26 List Analysis edition. The final analysis today will be a dissection of the Season 25 Premiers, The Roys. The Roys are, from my perspective, probably the one club that I really didn't know too much about in my first couple of seasons in the SFA. Now that's not saying I didn't enjoy our banter, the Roys were (and are) still a fun team to banter with but other than fitzroybowiedog who is an SFA mega star, the rest of the group are rather quiet when it comes to general activity around the League.

This changed somewhat in S.25 with the recruitment of a couple of posters (namely I Dont Care and xenxen) but their time as Roys was short lived. I wish it were not so, but I do feel a sense of worry for the Roys moving forward.
It will be interesting to see how our illustrious panel views this list, and whether they have a similar view to myself. So lets introduce today's panel. Coming in for the last time, and being the ONLY panellist who has sat in in every edition (bar the Hawks) is the one and only The Filth Wizard.. "Thanks KohPhi, great to be here one more time". Also joining us is League Admin Cloud_ .. "Hi there Koh".
Joining us after a break from the last couple of editions is Swamprat Skipper Ant Bear.. "Greetings everyone".. And last but definitely not least, Las Vegas Bear Captain and current Mobbs Medallist, welcome to JoshWoodenSpoon.. "Well hello there".

So before we start delving into the list, as usual, let's have a look at their S.26 list and their S.25 beez medal results.

Season 26 Playing List
3/7. _Mike_
.05 3KZ is Football
3. Runk
6. Reardo
7. Klim
08. TedDougChris
8. Barrels
9. Roylion
X. MannumPower
10. Dicky Fitzwell
11. A Bit High
12. Stoods
13. Matt_352
18. Azarole
21. ChookNorris
22. Mobbs
26. Allikat
30. Mooch
35. fitzroybowiedog (c)
37. Slax
38. Broken
42. Carn the Roys!
44. royboy2
85. Chezzalenko Reborn
666. Freakie
??. Thommo333*

Ins: Freakie, Thommo333 (r), Broken

Outs: I Dont Care (Swamprats), xenxen (Dragons), Wise Guy Sam (retired)

S.25 beez MVP Top 5 Club Place Getters

In my view, this looks a tad grim coming into S.26. Not so much for the placings as such, but if we take out I Dont Care and xenxen, there is a huge gap between fbd at 7 and mooch at 64. Fitzroybowiedog is an out and out superstar but where will his support come from? After Mooch, the Roys had Wise Guy Sam (retired) come in at 72 and Allikat rated (way to low I believe) at 76. Can some of the "old folks" pick up the slack left by the departing Roys? Will this be enough to carry them through from an activity perspective? Lets get the panel's view.

7 fitzroybowiedog
34 I Dont Care (gone)
38 xenxen (gone)
64 Mooch
65 3KZ is Football

List Health and Overall strength as a posting unit

Where do you see the Roys Cloud_?

You're reference to "old folks" is relevant here KohPhi as The Roys have long been an old folks home housing the veterans who of the league who no longer have the energy to be relevant. In recent seasons, they've drifted away from that identity a bit and become more spammy than previous seasons. However, on the back of the premiership win some of their stalwarts have seemingly been reinvigorated and look to be back posting on-topic Qooty relevant banter which I will look forward to. I rate fitzroybowiedog, Mobbs and Broken as their elite posters with Runk, Mooch, TedDougChris, 3KZ is Football and _Mike_ coming in a rung underneath. Stoods, A Bit High and Matt_352 are their solid citizens.

Continuing the "old" theme, The Roys genuinely are the Qooty Gods waiting room... for the most part they are fine wine. Their veterans are sophisticated. Didn't lose too much of note in the off season, the IDC to Broken move will prove to be beneficial to all parties involved.

Yeah I agree filthy, I Dont Care, whilst being a great servant in his time there, didn't (in my view) fit into the Roys mold as such. It always seemed to be a short term proposition. In the end though, it was a fruitful one as he served them well and came away with a Premiership medallion.

I rate fitzroybowiedog and Broken as their elite posters with Mobbs, Reardo and Freakie falling in the"very good" category. Runk, Matt_352, Mooch and TedDougChris are a pretty solid base that on their given day, will produce some good work in the match threads.

Losing two of their best posters in xenxen and I Dont Care was a serious blow, and despite their historic premiership, fitzroybowiedog found recruiting difficult. The return of SFA icon @Broken promises good things, and the re-activation of @Mobbs, @Reardo and @Freakie was a highlight of the premiership. They have only signed the one rookie in @Thommo333, and probably needed more to properly rejuvenate. fitzroybowiedog, Mobbs and @Mooch are their elite, with a group including @Allikat, @Runk, @TedDougChris and Broken as their 'very good' posters. 3KZ is Football, @A Bit High and @matt352 form a solid base to work with.

So you have mentioned quite a few of their posters there AB, do you think this will automatically lead to activity in match threads though?

The Roys have an attitude of fun, and they can be prolific in the right situation. If their leaders fitzroybowiedog and Mobbs get involved, then the rest of the team go along for the ride, and a good time is had by opponents and team-mates alike.

JoshWoodenSpoon.. thoughts??

Mooch and fitzroybowiedog are their obvious elite posters with 3KZ is Football, Runk, TedDougChris and Allikat not too far behind those two. Stoods, Freakie and Matt_352 form a solid base. they may not be the most active side from a volume perspective, but one of their strengths is not knowing who you'll get a response from is rather fun. They also have a 'vibe', albeit one that can miss the mark against some teams.

You're on the mark there JWS, as from my perspective, the match threads against the Roys can be quite "fresh" in the sense that much of the banter is against posters who I don't usually interact with in the various media threads around the place. In my view, Fitroybowiedog is the club's elite poster with a group including Mooch, Reardo, TedDougChris, Allikat, Runk, Broken, Mobbs, Azarole and Freakie forming a solid core of good to solid posters. Now whilst I think they are very good to good posters, I dont think this always reverts to activity, and this is where the posting group, in my view needs to improve. A bit more on that later on.

Ok, so who do we think needs to lift to help in the activity stakes and do we see a rising star amongst this group?

Need to lift and Rising Star

I think someone like MannumPower needs to lift. He is a very good poster and could really help fill a void left by the departures of IDC and xen. As for rising star, possibly Thommo333.

Yep, A Bit High and MannumPower would definitelty help if fbd can somehow get them to become more active.

MannumPower to lift. Barrels could be a gun poster, with a little more effort.

MannumPower is critical to the club lifting their profile in the match threads. A couple of seasons ago, the Bombers had a great thread against the Roys and MP posted over 100 times. Now whilst this may not be achievable on a regular basis, seeing him around a bit more regulalrly would be a fillip for the club. As far as rising star is concerned, Barrels and Matt_352 could really bust the SFA open if they choose to.

Areas of Improvement

So I think we have a pretty good idea where improvements could be made, Ant bear, what do you think is needed?

Top end posters. I put Broken as elite as his early efforts have been classy as usual but he's new... they're a middle order team. There's some talk bowie is easing back and why wouldn't he after that season 25 he had? It's something they need to prepare for.

Yep, fitroybowiedog is a great captain, as evidenced by his All-SFA captaincy appointment, but he could do with some support from an active vice-captain. It is difficult to envisage anyone else leading the club in the foreseeable future.

I sort of have a different view, I would say they've already improved their posting culture through some addition by subtraction if you catch my drift, and brought back veterans who bring some more old school banter to the table. If their newer posters can follow their guidance then they'll be good for seasons to come. What do you think KohPhi?

Look I agree that IDC and xenxen didn't really fit the image of the Roys Cloud_, but they did add an element of activity to the threads that got them through some pretty lean match threads last season. I think one of the major areas of improvement, as has already been mentioned by AB, is there needs to be some sort of a succession plan in place for when (and if) fitzy does decide to step back a tad. Now I admit I am am speaking from total ignorance here as they may already have this in place. But I do worry if fbd steps back, then the club will lose its only real leader.

The club lacks some hard hitters. I know they're a very couched franchise, but sometimes it's good to have some rough and tumble. Freakie and Reardo could have a big season and help with this.

And Matt_352 in that regard.

Ideal recruit

Ok.. So succession plans, a bit of agro, top end posters.. these have all been mentioned as potential areas that need to be looked at. Lets cut to the chase, who could they recruit to try and rectify some of these areas? Ill start off. I mentioned lack of activity earlier on as an area of concern. I think Tony Lynn 15 and The Coach combo would work perfectly with the Roys. Leadership, activity around the league, activity in match threads and a good dose of agro when appropriate all fixed in one fell swoop. BANG!

The ideal recruit for the Roys is clearly Wacky Tiger given he is a multiple time Mobbs Medalist and the Roys the place to be if you're a veteran Mobbs Medal winner who's gone past their prime. Just look at Broken, Wise Guy Sam, MannumPower and fitzroybowiedog the list goes on.

I'm with you Kohphi, two elite posters from any other club. Doesn't matter who.

Agent93 would be perfect. Someone to provide support and a viable successor for when fitzy gives it away.

EJW

Would you like to expand on the JWS??

No.

Ummm.. ok.

Trade Bait

So with what seems to be a list full of similar style posters, who could they use as trade bait to try and lure a TL, Coach, EJW and Agent93 type to the club?

It's clear that fitzroybowiedog has ambitions to be a one club player but I'd advise him to give himself a season or two away from the pressures of maintaining the Roys. It feels like bowie has had that world on his shoulders since he debuted... that means he's on his 11th season needing a massage.

And I suppose you're just the man to give it to him at the Hawks right filthy?

Not at all, he would be a welcome addition at ANY other club.... As long as it was the Hawks.

Ex-Gumbies/Wolves skipper A Bit High would garner a lot of interest if he was offered up as a trade.

Most definitely Ant Bear. I reckon A Bit High could be helped with a move somewhere else, perhaps a return to the Gumbies. Was one of the bigger name posters when I started out but in recent seasons his interest has just waned a little bit.

3KZ or A Bit High? I dunno.

I suppose you dont want to expand on that again mate?

No.

I think someone like MannumPower could find his spark if he moved to another Club. Perhaps a return of sorts to the Bombers??

KohPhi's Questions...
So this analysis has for me, probably changed my tune a tad in regards to where the Roys sat moving in to S.26. I was concerned about their lack of 'star power' based on their beez results, but upon reflection, the club has an array of "old stars" who are content to pop in and do their thing when required. It reminds me a bit of the "Old bull and Young bull" story to be honest. Maybe this is in fact their strength and their "point of difference' in this place. However,

Who do the Roys have currently on their list ready to replace fbd if he either decides to step down or move on?
In my opinion, no-one. Lots of ex leaders who have had their day in the sun and are content to roll on by, but I cannot see anyone currently on their list who could take the reigns from fitzy and do the job to the level he has maintained for many seasons. Unless someone pops out in S.26, it is an area they will need to look at addressing via recruitment i think.​

Well that's it for this thread folks, it did take a bit longer than expected, but I promised i would finish it and thank **** I have. :p. To be honest, all I really did was slap everything together and add a bit of "creative licence" to some of the responses and the real credit goes to all the posters who gave up their time to give me and this thread a chop out. So thanks to The Filth Wizard, Ant Bear, Yakker, JoshWoodenSpoon, Cloud_, fitzroybowiedog, Loonerty, Elton Johns Wig, BLERN, Blaze Storm and U2tigers.

Cheers lads.. for now, "Coffee with KohPhi" out.

Interesting read here.

When was that?
The first one of the season organised by that suspiciously over active rookie. Five minutes in they were talking about our game and said nobody cares about the Roys and then went off on some random tangent. I unsubscribed and went over to the SweetFA conspiracy podcast.

It's interesting.
Some points are valid, some not so much, some want us to fit into a certain mold which have no intention of.
That's how I read it. We have some great posters but because we don't get around the board outside of match threads, we're not good enough. I don't especially care to be honest. For my part I browse the board and jump in if something interests me but otherwise I come for the chat with you boys and girls, and the banter in match threads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's how I read it. We have some great posters but because we don't get around the board outside of match threads, we're not good enough. I don't especially care to be honest. For my part I browse the board and jump in if something interests me but otherwise I come for the chat with you boys and girls, and the banter in match threads.
From what I've seen there's a perception that being seen as active or having a major role in this league you need to be making crazy amounts of posts in the match threads, engaging in every thread on the board, not to mention being really involved in the Club Room and other varying groups of influence.
For the most part articles measuring teams are made by players fitting in to the aforementioned categories and see similar individuals as being the epitome of the league, meaning anybody not meeting that standard is not good enough. It's s**t when you see it all the time, but it seems to be what it is.
If everyone is having fun that's all that matters and I'd rather see different teams, with different approaches, than 12 cookie cutter clones.

Gone are my days of 100 post matches, I simply don’t log on as much as I used to plus with my artwork I do in my spare time and being secretary of a real footy club plus three kids there isn’t a lot of spare time. I find the posters in the league not as engaging as they used to be, back two to five years ago there was less posting but absolutely quality posters, now it is a lot more posting and less quality and it is just not as enjoyable

Gone are my days of 100 post matches, I simply don’t log on as much as I used to plus with my artwork I do in my spare time and being secretary of a real footy club plus three kids there isn’t a lot of spare time. I find the posters in the league not as engaging as they used to be, back two to five years ago there was less posting but absolutely quality posters, now it is a lot more posting and less quality and it is just not as enjoyable

It’s hard (as a newcomer) to know what are the expectations of contributing to the league. There is little in the way of explanation or guides and not all are welcoming to the noobs...

It’s hard (as a newcomer) to know what are the expectations of contributing to the league. There is little in the way of explanation or guides and not all are welcoming to the noobs...

All I want you to do is have fun.

I don't like the spammy threads, our match thread is already closing on 300 posts which is very active but the swamprats match thread is almost at 900 in 2 days.

Quality over quantity, but the young kids with ADHD don't understand that.

Yep with so many posts, there's not much reason to participate in a thread. For the most part, the more we get told off for "not being active enough", the more we can be confident we're travelling well. The Roys have forever been the only team that provided good content in match threads, then the Swamprats, then daylight.

I remember 10 to 12 seasons back we were again the only quality contributors when some began to harass us about "being inactive". It was hilarious. We ran the numbers and found that we were getting 19, 20 and sometimes as many as 24 of our players posting in every match thread :D It was like some hip-hop fan telling mozart he didn't have enough breadth of talent.

Absolutely burgundy supremacy in every breath. No need for change.

But there is an elephant in this room. The "article" actually touched upon two subjects. The other one was how fbd is travelling. Does he have sufficient support? Does he have a succession plan? Is there the raw material to draw a succession plan from? It's clear real life seems to buffet him around a lot and sometimes he has to swim a long way to get back to shore. If he were to suddenly disappear in a puff of logic, how would we proceed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back