Strategy The ruck conundrum

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
This tactic by the Scotts bro to have no ruck going up and having a spare onballer instead is very easy to fix.

Our coach(es) need to instruct Pruess/Goldy to smash the ball 20m towards our goal and to a 1v1 contest instead of tapping it down to a 4v5 contest around the ball.

Put Higgins as the 'go to' player 1v1 and he will win 80% of the contests. I'm sure the opposition coach will start sending their ruckman back into the ruck duel pretty quick once they get carved up 20m from the ruck action.

Simples..

Thought this was going to be a "what to do with Goldy, Pruess and Daw".
That is a conundrum. The Pruess/Daw setup worked ok I thought, even if most times there was no opposition ruck

I think you will find that we will quickly adapt to this tactic. Having the ability to direct the movement of the ball is a significant advantage, we shot ourselves in the foot by just dropping the ball at our feet.

While I don't think the ruckman should smash it blindly, we can use it to knock the ball over the stoppage towards our goal and we should have Swallow/Ziebell/Cunnington create a human wall to block the opposition midfielders while allowing Dumont/Higgins to take possession of the ball while it has forward momentum towards our goal. Players like Sugar and Garner should be coming off the flanks to apply heavy pressure to any half backs who attempt to sweep.

Once Preuss/Goldy get the hitout, they need to be agressive in terms of bulldozing midfielders out of the way, they can't be passive while the opposition has +1 midfielder at stoppages.

I think you will find that we will quickly adapt to this tactic. Having the ability to direct the movement of the ball is a significant advantage, we shot ourselves in the foot by just dropping the ball at our feet.

While I don't think the ruckman should smash it blindly, we can use it to knock the ball over the stoppage towards our goal and we should have Swallow/Ziebell/Cunnington create a human wall to block the opposition midfielders while allowing Dumont/Higgins to take possession of the ball while it has forward momentum towards our goal. Players like Sugar and Garner should be coming off the flanks to apply heavy pressure to any half backs who attempt to sweep.

Once Preuss/Goldy get the hitout, they need to be agressive in terms of bulldozing midfielders out of the way, they can't be passive while the opposition has +1 midfielder at stoppages.

Tas's 4 Coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back