The ruck debate

Who will be the new number one ruckman ?

• Clarke

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Griffin

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Darcy

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Apeness

• strnadica

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Free agent/trade

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of our ruck planning will be determined by whether Zarke can perform at anything like his best. If he can get his leap and athleticism back, then it buys some time for Darcy to develop at WAFL level with some senior appearances thrown in when Sandi needs a rest.

If Zarke is a bust this season then we might have to chase a mature ruckman as depth. Although if both Darcy and Strnadica perform well at WAFL level, and Big Griff goes around again, the club might reckon that's enough to get by with.

as stated in other threads.... Take out Zac Clarke who is 27 years old. The rest of the KPPS are either aged 23 or under or aged 31 or older.

Looking at our Ruck stocks, there is a lot of quantity. Sandilands is the only quality ruckman. If Clarke leaves this season, Either Sandi or Griffin has to stay in 2018 while young rucks in Darcy, Strnadica and Apeness continue to develop

as stated in other threads.... Take out Zac Clarke who is 27 years old. The rest of the KPPS are either aged 23 or under or aged 31 or older.

Looking at our Ruck stocks, there is a lot of quantity. Sandilands is the only quality ruckman. If Clarke leaves this season, Either Sandi or Griffin has to stay in 2018 while young rucks in Darcy, Strnadica and Apeness continue to develop
I disagree, griffin look likely to be his last season.

Exception : move to Cockburn , lesser players injuries .

I just don't have the faith that any of Sandilands, Griffin or Clarke can get through a season. And while two of them could be fine in that regard, they would need to synchronise their injuries, but as of yet we don't have the spreadsheet available to enable that.

My preferred is for;
  • Sandilands to continue for 2018
  • Clarke and Griffin finish end of this season (would need major contribution from them to warrant keeping. Possible Rookie List)
  • a short-term journeyman brought in for emergency only. Possibly on Rookie list.
  • Darcy fast-tracked ready to play as #1 in 2019 with developmentle games in 2017/18
  • Apeness and Strnadica developed as forward/rucks. Apeness prefered in that role this year, Strnadica when he is ready
  • another project ruck in the next 2 drafts OR English targeted for trade if he develops well

I just don't have the faith that any of Sandilands, Griffin or Clarke can get through a season. And while two of them could be fine in that regard, they would need to synchronise their injuries, but as of yet we don't have the spreadsheet available to enable that.

My preferred is for;
  • Sandilands to continue for 2018
  • Clarke and Griffin finish end of this season (would need major contribution from them to warrant keeping. Possible Rookie List)
  • a short-term journeyman brought in for emergency only. Possibly on Rookie list.
  • Darcy fast-tracked ready to play as #1 in 2019 with developmentle games in 2017/18
  • Apeness and Strnadica developed as forward/rucks. Apeness prefered in that role this year, Strnadica when he is ready
  • another project ruck in the next 2 drafts OR English targeted for trade if he develops well
I would laugh if we Get English cheaply in a few years time. Matt Leuenberger was at Brisbane and he was a top 10 pick. He had 8-9 years at Brisbane and Essendon got him cheaply as a free agent.

Ruckmen are a funny bunch. Its hard to find a good one yet you can develop a solid one with a late pick or a rookie pick. If Sandilands had 2-3 years left, I would of let him play every game and rotate Darcy and Strnadica and Apeness so they get some experience and develop slowly.

Back