Opinion The Ruck. We need to talk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Forgot also Nick Bryan out of contract at essendon behind Draper
The Nick Bryan’s, Jordon Sweet’s & Matty Flynn’s of the world aren’t an upgrade on Xerri.

Xerri would easily be the best ruckman in the VFL if he played a full season there, Ned Moyle the only one who could contest and is a few years younger.

Free also has a bit about him to see some projection left in his game as a nice back up for a few years.

We should not spend any serious capital on ruck. Just develop what we have. Least important position in football to have a star. Far from our problem. Our whole midfield group just needs a bit of continuity for once.

The Nick Bryan’s, Jordon Sweet’s & Matty Flynn’s of the world aren’t an upgrade on Xerri.

Xerri would easily be the best ruckman in the VFL if he played a full season there, Ned Moyle the only one who could contest and is a few years younger.

Free also has a bit about him to see some projection left in his game as a nice back up for a few years.

We should not spend any serious capital on ruck. Just develop what we have. Least important position in football to have a star. Far from our problem. Our whole midfield group just needs a bit of continuity for once.
Flynn comes for free as a free agent and challenges for number 1 ruck or becomes 2nd in line

Sweet and bryan are out of contract and back ups to english and draper they would come cheap and fancy beating xerri for a spot over their current situations

Flynn comes for free as a free agent and challenges for number 1 ruck or becomes 2nd in line

Sweet and bryan are out of contract and back ups to english and draper they would come cheap and fancy beating xerri for a spot over their current situations
Sweet & Flynn could be decent gets as back ups/competition.
Bryan got a bath from Cooper Keogh, no to him from me.
Not sure we need another list spot on a ruck.

First ruck. Not back up

Stanley, Rathgolea and ceglar are all in front
De koning, tom hickey, ladhams, baily williams all better than X. So he wouldn’t get a game ahead of any of them.

Xerri has a long long way to go. Hence why this is a topic of discussion.
Based on what are they better than him?
Stanley & Hickey probably better on experience. De Koning a better prospect definitely.
X’s skillset is better than Bailey Williams & Ladhams.
Ratugolea isn’t even a ruck man.

If you want an athlete instead of a ruckman than most of these guys are fine, but Xerri is better than all of them at pure ruck craft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what are they better than him?
Stanley & Hickey probably better on experience. De Koning a better prospect definitely.
X’s skillset is better than Bailey Williams & Ladhams.
Ratugolea isn’t even a ruck man.

If you want an athlete instead of a ruckman than most of these guys are fine, but Xerri is better than all of them at pure ruck craft.
Lol Xerri was given an absolute ******* hiding against the Hawks last week. Pure ruck craft, spare me

Xerri seems to win the tap a fair bit but hits it to the wrong spots. I don't know if he's unaware of what we're doing, hasn't built chemistry with the mids, has bad footy smarts or what. But he needs to be better if he's also not going to add much around the ground.

Interesting few pages of reading

My concern is that if we are going to have LDU and Wally in there it would be advantageous to have the best Ruckman we can have…or is it…is it so competitive that we end up with the “chaos ball” and the elite mids will move it on regardless?

I’m less worried after this week than I was last week. X is not as good as Goldy is now, and will probably never be anything like as good as Goldy has been, but objectively he has barely played this year, stood up and competed ok in the ruck and around the ground against a guy who is touted as one of the best, and has time to learn craft and also learn to play with the young midfield coming up with him. I‘m not 100% convinced but it’s also dropped down my theoretical shopping list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back