Opinion The Ruck. We need to talk.

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with Goldy is he can't play against physical rucks anymore. He's still by far our best ruckman but he had that block against Draper, Briggs and O'Reilly where he got absolutely bullied.

I think the X and Goldy as a combo is the answer for the next year at least to mitigate that issue

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our club has been incredibly blessed to have had some incredible ruckmen pull on the blue and white. Specifically, over the better part of the last decade we’ve seen HMac, Maj and Goldy - all vastly different ruckman, with the latter being arguably the best we’ve had at North. With Goldy’s career coming towards the end, it’s becoming glaringly obvious how damaging the absence of an elite ruckman could have on our midfield group and the team in general.

We’ve got some great talent running through the midfield. Most haven’t hit their potential yet, but when they do it’ll be interesting to see how they adapt to not having first hands on the footy. More importantly being able to lockdown and stoppages, win the ball back - ultimately having more of a defensive mindset.

I’m interested to hear opinions on our strategy moving forwards with who’s going to be outnumber 1 ruckman, or how are we going to combat other ruckman in the competition. Currently it’s Xerri 1 and CCJ 2 - both of which are completely different players to Goldy, and each other. No Goldy and we are very thin, especially if Xerri goes down injured.

Hitting the draft this year, obviously our first priority is a key position back - secondly, I’d be going after a ruck. Is anyone else very concerned? And what are your thoughts moving forward?

*mods - couldn’t find a similar thread, please merge if need be. Also this isn’t meant to be a Xerri or CCJ poo-slinging discussion, like their individual player threads

I think we can afford to wait on a ruckman, if Goldy stays an extra year then we start 2024 as we were going to start this year before Xerri got injured. If Goldy goes then have a chat to Matt Flynn. Maybe even bring Preuss back home if he is over his injuries this year.

Goldi goes or stays I think the club will stupidly retire him.
And then we’re f*****

I would throw big coin at any other decent big man willing to come work with Clarko

Whether it’s Grundy or Flynn or Preuss or Fort or Hayes - just get someone in.

Xerri’s contract is diabolical and CCJ’s is no better. The state of our list and quality of rucks is a sackable offence.

Goldi goes or stays I think the club will stupidly retire him.
And then we’re f*****

I would throw big coin at any other decent big man willing to come work with Clarko

Whether it’s Grundy or Flynn or Preuss or Fort or Hayes - just get someone in.

Xerri’s contract is diabolical and CCJ’s is no better. The state of our list and quality of rucks is a sackable offence.
I rate Goldy higher than Grundy who's tapwork isn't anywhere near as good. And suspect for Grundy, he'd be working on whatever he can to get back into the Dee's line-up and challenge for a premiership. I hope Goldy hangs around another year, X comes on in 24 with an injury free run at it, and we look to pick up another developing ruck.

I rate Goldy higher than Grundy who's tapwork isn't anywhere near as good. And suspect for Grundy, he'd be working on whatever he can to get back into the Dee's line-up and challenge for a premiership. I hope Goldy hangs around another year, X comes on in 24 with an injury free run at it, and we look to pick up another developing ruck.
Not develoing, need one ready to go

I think we can afford to wait on a ruckman, if Goldy stays an extra year then we start 2024 as we were going to start this year before Xerri got injured. If Goldy goes then have a chat to Matt Flynn. Maybe even bring Preuss back home if he is over his injuries this year.
Preuss, aka the template for getting a ten year career and not have to play often

I’d target Nick Bryan from dons who will be behind draper and is still out of contract

Would be number 1 ruck for a decade for us

Also bring in ruck depth like Matt Flynn or Jordan Sweet
I think we need to do something like this. Sure, it may end up another CCJ situation, but once Goldy is gone we can’t just rely on the other three to come good.

Preuss, aka the template for getting a ten year career and not have to play often

The is a self fulfilled prophecy at play here, when he left I said he'd be back one day.

The lack of a ruckman of any real quality at either Geelong or Richmond has not exactly damaged the midfielders at either club. Also at the Bulldogs, until this year, Tim English was regularly beaten in hitout stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lack of a ruckman of any real quality at either Geelong or Richmond has not exactly damaged the midfielders at either club. Also at the Bulldogs, until this year, Tim English was regularly beaten in hitout stats.
What? Nank going to punt rd was a big reason they won flags. Even soldo looks like dean cox compared to x

Quality as a ruck for tap outs sure

But both those clubs had mobile players who offered something, English was excellent around the ground too

As opposed to what we have if Goldy is gone.

I firmly believe our 2025 starting ruck is not currently on the roster.

That is a concern.
That post makes no sense. We will have a 2025 starting ruck and apparently, he's coming from somewhere else and for some reason, that has your panties in a bunch. Are you also concerned that a North Melbourne player might win the Brownlow in 2025 and he's not currently on our list?

Surely your concern is that you don't rate our current rucks and that we will not be able to upgrade them and we will have to continue with them for the next 10 years. It should not concern you that we will upgrade within 18 months. That should be a relief to you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back