Rumour The Rumour File - All the off-season mutterings with no base in reality

Remove this Banner Ad

To me, Tom Lynch is undersized and doesn't play strong enough to be a genuine KPF- he's more a mobile link-up tall which we we have a few of. 192cm and under 90kgs, he's certainly not the hulking full forward we crave and I don't know whether he can get there. Shame too as he seemed a real likely type in the U18s...

The red hair is not his only similarity to Bate. But while maybe not the ideal size for a KP player that is increasingly taller, now probably at least 195+, in his junior days he seemed to compete well enough & work hard presenting to overcome this.

I wouldn't mind giving him a 1 year deal or rookie spot if it doesn't cost us much, especially if we trade Bate & lose a forward option, despite it being an option we didn't use much

Tom Lynch from Saints (no, unfortunately not the GC 1) is supposedly on the outer, just turned 21 (less than a week ago), played 5 average games for them this year for a career total of 6. We could look to get him cheap, late draft pick or rookie if delisted. It's well known young guys didn't get much of a go under Lyon, so a change of scenery might do him the world of good.

Don't want him anywhere near the club, absolute **** IRL.

Not sure by who?! My best mate played underage football with him.

Just after he was drafted he came to my mates sisters 21st like he was TOP s**t, slanging off the girls and stealing drinks.

Word is st kilda have a weird initiation process as well, from what i've heard. unsure of what it involves but sounds iffy.

Word is st kilda have a weird initiation process as well, from what i've heard. unsure of what it involves but sounds iffy.
One of those "gotta give head to get ahead" things?

Watts is a pretty likable guy from all reports.

I was talking to a fellow Melbourne supporter at a local footy match a couple of weeks ago, and he was saying that "by all account, Watts is extremely arrogant and likes to get on the piss". Moral is, wouldn't read to much in to what others say. Fact is, if you do not know him personally, then you do not know him, and it should be left at that.

I was talking to a fellow Melbourne supporter at a local footy match a couple of weeks ago, and he was saying that "by all account, Watts is extremely arrogant and likes to get on the piss". Moral is, wouldn't read to much in to what others say. Fact is, if you do not know him personally, then you do not know him, and it should be left at that.

How does that make him not a likable guy? Some of the most likable guys I've met are arrogant and get on the piss. He seems good natured in the media, that's all I have to go on (as well as the word of a former VicM footballer who is currently at Hawthorn) and I'm pretty comfortable in saying he seems a likable type.

No no no to Tom Lynch. Not only do we have similar types who are better than him, I can back-up BigSexc's sentiments - a good mate's father is on the Saints medical staff and has commented time & again on Lynch's poor attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing new mentioned as far as Melbourne go, but some interesting options thrown up at other clubs.

Daniel Gorringe at GC and Lewis Johnston at Sydney both interest me - although Gorringe would come at a cost.

And could Chris Knights be the small forward we need??

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/trade-talk-clubbyclub-analysis-20111004-1l7gx.html

Knights doesn't play the traditional small forward role and isnt blessed with express pace. Out of all those players listed Hitchcock from Port is about the only one who could play that small forward-crumbing role, but i don't think he has the defensive pressure in his game such as someone like Jeff Garlett who is similar in size. One of the main things we need from a small forward is to put pressure on the oppositions back 6 like Davey did cicrca 04 - 05.

Interesting to note they listed one of our needs as a inside mid which i think bate could play this role, won the Morrish medal (in the TAC) as A hard running mid. Give him the preseason to train with the mids and hopefully under a new coach in a new position he could turn things around.

What a horrible article... just paper filler, couldn't even get down to the Melbourne section..

Morton is listed as 'trade bait' and he just signed a new deal... Go figure!

Swap Morton's name for Lynden Dunn and it's pretty spot on though.

Would they listen to an offer for Lynden Dunn? Gold Coast struggled on the scoreboard somewhat last year.

No. Lynden Dunn couldn't get a game in a side that struggled to 8 wins. Why would anyone else want him, let alone give up an exciting tall prospect for him? Simple answer is they wouldn't.

It would be best for all posters concerned here to realise that our "trade bait" this season has zero currency at all, even when we try and package them together. All we have are the compo picks and our first rounder - guys like Warnock, Bate, Dunn etc would get next to nothing on the open market. If they can't get a game in our side then they will not get a game in many others.

No. Lynden Dunn couldn't get a game in a side that struggled to 8 wins. Why would anyone else want him, let alone give up an exciting tall prospect for him? Simple answer is they wouldn't.

It would be best for all posters concerned here to realise that our "trade bait" this season has zero currency at all, even when we try and package them together. All we have are the compo picks and our first rounder - guys like Warnock, Bate, Dunn etc would get next to nothing on the open market. If they can't get a game in our side then they will not get a game in many others.

Ah righto.

Does anyone else get the feeling that we simply won't be big players come trade week? The more I see who's available, who is going where etc the more I see that:

a) There is not a lot out there to have a crack at and

b) We don't have a great deal to offer clubs outside of a couple of draft picks.

I'm happy to be proved wrong as I think we have some gaps to fill but I just don't think there are players available to fill them this year. Best bet maybe Warnock or Bate going for a mid to late pick and that's it.

We won't be huge players IMO.

At the moment I'm partaking in a trade week simulation on the Saints board, I'll post my success or lack there of later for a bit of fun and a critique!

come trade week, we might get involved with off-loading some unrequired players for low picks. I reckon our biggest act will be involved in trying to get one of the mini-draft selections, preferably#1, but #2 (or Crouch) wouldn't be too bad either.

But then again, Neeld has come in and said to our recruiting team, these are our holes, now go fix them, so we might be active after all!!!

come trade week, we might get involved with off-loading some unrequired players for low picks. I reckon our biggest act will be involved in trying to get one of the mini-draft selections, preferably#1, but #2 (or Crouch) wouldn't be too bad either.

But then again, Neeld has come in and said to our recruiting team, these are our holes, now go fix them, so we might be active after all!!!
Which means that we need to give up something of value, not our fringe spuds.

I wouldn't mind throwing up the likes of Morton, Bennell and Jetta as trade bait. I don't want to be waiting for another couple of years to see if these guys will become hard-nosed footballers.

Unlike Bailey, hopefully Neeld doesn't accept youth as excuse for being soft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back