Prediction The run home, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon are rubbish, but they’ll no doubt pump themselves up for the game against us. If we turn up we should win, but it’s always a big if. Would prefer to go into that having won three on the trot. Wish we could play GWS and Essendon first up.

Don't think I could bare to watch if we had to beat Essendon to make the 8, I've still got ptsd from THAT weekend in 2017.
Brilliant afternoon that one. Spent a bunch of cash on some fancy corporate box w***ery, walked into the G and barely made it to the escalator before the stitches holding my face together after a drunken accident split open. Was on my way to hospital before the first bounce. Doubled down on the pain and humiliation by watching the game on my phone while being sewed up again. Carn Dees.

I think
Beat Sydney, we should be able to just grind it out like the adelaide/norf games
Freo 50/50, freo are a quality young side with a terrific defence. They just grind out games and make it a slog. might be a similar game to the st.kilda one.
Beat GWS, i think we'll lose to freo cop all the backlash and do the same thing after the port game and come out with a good win.
Beat Essendon. They are s**t

Yeah Freo is a real danger game because they can easily smash us in the midfield. Coaches need to come prepared. However they put in some shockers when they were in Queensland last time so hopefully the hub destroys them again

Yeah Freo is a real danger game because they can easily smash us in the midfield. Coaches need to come prepared. However they put in some shockers when they were in Queensland last time so hopefully the hub destroys them again
This.
They've been very good at home, but now that they're in another state I think they've put the cue in the rack. In fact I read there were another two players let go from their contracts on the weekend and won't be joining their QLD hub.

The other thing that needs to be taken into consideration is percentage. I feel this will simply come down to this. If we are fair dinkum about finals we beat Sydney and Freo no less then 30 points. I feel like players for both teams now will be on holiday mode and just want to get through the year.

The GWS game will really be the big test. They're hitting form and they've found a good target up forward in Riccardi, and Toby Greene will have a couple of games under his belt as well by then. It'll be the battle of the midfield for me. I'm backing May to do the Job on Cameron. But their mids bat deep and their pace and outside run will worry us.

I'll likely be proven wrong when they thump us ... but playing Freo in Perth is a different proposition than playing them in Cairns.

I'll likely be proven wrong when they thump us ... but playing Freo in Perth is a different proposition than playing them in Cairns.
We’ve beaten three of the five teams we beat in 2019 again in 2020. Sydney and Freo are the other two. Would be a ******* shame to lose to them this year.

I’m just scarred by Freo beating us in 2017, when we were leading at HT and Fyfe singlehandedly stole the win for them.

If we can't beat Freo or Sydney on neutral ground, then f### this club. Both those clubs have nothing to play for either. GWS are a different proposition. They are dangerous and have the outside players that worry us. I think we drop that one. So yeah, it might come down to the Bombers game. That doesn't instil me with any confidence at all. Yes, Bombers will probably be out of the race then, but we have a poor record in these situations. And i can see Daniher, Stringer etc excelling when playing wth the freedom of not having finals hanging over there head. The last round always has some strange results. Will be Wooshas last game too, so i can see us sh##ing the bed on that one.

If we can't beat Freo or Sydney on neutral ground, then f### this club. Both those clubs have nothing to play for either. GWS are a different proposition. They are dangerous and have the outside players that worry us. I think we drop that one. So yeah, it might come down to the Bombers game. That doesn't instil me with any confidence at all. Yes, Bombers will probably be out of the race then, but we have a poor record in these situations. And i can see Daniher, Stringer etc excelling when playing wth the freedom of not having finals hanging over there head. The last round always has some strange results. Will be Wooshas last game too, so i can see us sh##ing the bed on that one.

Do we? Nightmares of 2017 but in 2018 we beat West Coast in Perth and smashed GWS to secure our spot. Seems 50/50

Next two weeks really important, beat Sydney and Freo, we’ll be at 9 wins with a strong percentage, we can pump ourselves up for a big match against GWS, with a win to get us into the finals.

I know this is Melbourne though, so it’s never easy but hoping for the best.

I think we all have R23, 2017 nightmares but realistically we were physically cooked by the end of the season. Our finals chances were shot by losing three goals to bottom sides by under a goal well before the Collingwood game.

This is an impressive mini-melt about things that have not, and may not happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an impressive mini-melt about things that have not, and may not happen
Has a point though. You can see Essendon just turning it on for a game that doesn’t matter to send off Worsfold with players playing out of their skin for a contract. They’ll be players wanting to impress Rutten. It’s a game we need to win. The final round throws up weird results, who’d have picked WC smashing Adelaide in 2017? It happens every single year.

I’d want to be locked into the 8 just in case we fluff it. That means winning the next 3.

Don't think I could bare to watch if we had to beat Essendon to make the 8, I've still got ptsd from THAT weekend in 2017.
Had completely blocked it out of my mind so I just looked it up.

I have absolutely no faith that we will do enough to make the 8. We are not a good footy team and are supremely inconsistent.
If we did make the 8 I think it would be 1 and done.
Realistically does anyone think we can seriously challenge if we make finals?
No but think the tick is important for a few reasons especially around player retention.

It's probably the worst result in reality. Buys Goody time for meeting the minimum and costs us draft pick currency.

Meandering in mid table mediocrity.

It's probably the worst result in reality. Buys Goody time for meeting the minimum and costs us draft pick currency.

Under normal circumstances I'd probably agree with this, but reality is we have to live with Goody for at least one more year, probably two give the financial implications of cutting his contract. Obviously we hope he improves massively in this time and then we don't have to worry about it.

That being said, making finals is better commercially for the club next year, so on the balance of things, even if we limp in and bomb out, it's probably better for the club than just missing out.

Also means North get the worse draft pick, we don't have a first rounder anyway.

Lol what about the 10,000 members who dropped off 2019 into 2020? You don't think making finals, even if it's 7 or 8 and having the limelight is important to them?

******* oath I want the boys to play finals. If they get west coast in Perth, so be it. I'd rather they get 14 days between the Essendon game and the final for media to speak about us as finalists.

Membership, sponsorship, commercial draw in 2021...

Mid table mediocrity, what the hell does that even mean. Someone has to finish 7th-12th. We've had a 9th finish once, then 5th and 17th. Hardly "mid table mediocrity" if it's a one off. You talk about draft position yet we don't have a first rounder this year and our first crack is Hawks second rounder. We just hit 3 players that (Clarry aside) have shown more in their first year than anyone in nearly a decade.

The biggest disappointment of this year will be not being in the crowd when they play the first final. If you don't think making finals is important to 40,000 dees members and probably another 20,000 supporters outside that who are locked down at the moment, then * me it's the smallest minded opinion I could think of.

Lol what about the 10,000 members who dropped off 2019 into 2020? You don't think making finals, even if it's 7 or 8 and having the limelight is important to them?

******* oath I want the boys to play finals. If they get west coast in Perth, so be it. I'd rather they get 14 days between the Essendon game and the final for media to speak about us as finalists.

Mid table mediocrity, what the hell does that even mean. Someone has to finish 7th-12th. We've had a 9th finish once, then 5th and 17th. Hardly "mid table mediocrity" if it's a one off. You talk about draft position yet we don't have a first rounder this year and our first crack is Hawks second rounder. We just hit 3 players that (Clarry aside) have shown more in their first year than anyone in nearly a decade.

The biggest disappointment of this year will be not being in the crowd when they play the first final. If you don't think making finals is important to 40,000 dees members and probably another 20,000 supporters outside that who are locked down at the moment, then fu** me it's the smallest minded opinion I could think of.

Midtable mediocrity is the barron wasteland where youre not ever competing for a flag but not bad enough to make the changes necessary to get better coz you're satisfied with just not being s**t. So you tread water for years on end before the arse falls out eventually anyway.

We're good at downhill skiing against the bottom 6 sides, personally I reckon we'll all but sew up our spot before the GWS game, and we'll beat one of GWS/Essendon.

The biggest disappointment of this year will be not being in the crowd when they play the first final. If you don't think making finals is important to 40,000 dees members and probably another 20,000 supporters outside that who are locked down at the moment, then fu** me it's the smallest minded opinion I could think of.

I don't rate Goody at all but much rather make finals (Although a belting in the first round would kill any of the optimism brought by the finals berth).

Honestly could not give a s**t about making finals if we are going to be one and done like I said. All it does is take the heat off goody and waste a few more years with coach who won't take us anywhere.

Hardly narrow minded like you claim, more like seeing the big picture.

Never been about short siightedness and getting my jollies over some limp dick finals appearances. I don't want to be the new Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back