Prediction The run home - last 5 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely 100% this.

Speaking of injury lists, as much as this hurts to say but if Carlton had a healthy list they'd be hard to beat for anyone.
Carlton have an enormous amount of talent on their list, and they've done very well considering it's their first year under a new coach and they've had a lot of injuries.

It's be less of a surprise for them to win it this year than us, but I feel they're still a year away of having a proper go (compared to ~2 for us).

As an aside I struggle to understand how they recruited so many players and will keep to the salary cap.

Having Fyfe in the team has nothing to do with the form of the team. If our goal is to win the premiership, which it should be, then we need him in the team and playing to 70-80% of his best, it is a lot less likely without him.

My view is that having Switta miss, Acres being injured and not back his best, Chapman still not at his pre-injury form, Colyer dipping from the start of the year, the fluctuating form of Schultz and Freddy, Darcy not making an impact outside the ruck contest and probably teams working out how to play against us is more the reason for us dropping a couple of games. Saying that, no teams are easybeats - look how close Port ran Geelong on the weekend, Hawthorn on their day can beat most teams.

Anyway, I'm optimistic for our last 4 games - if we bring the intensity and energy, we can beat anyone.
At least for last Friday night, the forward line was the area we can make the biggest improvement.

For varying reasons, none of them unfixable in the shorter term, it might free up the forward line a little more without having to accommodate the big presence yet rookie forward Fyfe in there.

I like Luke Hodge's suggestion, that Fyfe should take the next 4-5 weeks and become part of the forward-line coaching group. Go in there solely to learn the ins and outs and all the varying patterns and small details.

He's just not going to have the conditioning to play midfield in a finals campaign by the time he gets back. So his best role will be solely as a supplementary to the forward line.

Then make changes to the 22. Our injury list is possibly the smallest in club history, if 3 or 4 guys are struggling and need a break give them a week off.

We should have been rotating more players throughout the season to give more of them AFL experience in preparation for this predictable situation, if it is the case.

Carlton have an enormous amount of talent on their list, and they've done very well considering it's their first year under a new coach and they've had a lot of injuries.

It's be less of a surprise for them to win it this year than us, but I feel they're still a year away of having a proper go (compared to ~2 for us).

As an aside I struggle to understand how they recruited so many players and will keep to the salary cap.
Carlton don't have a salary cap, they have a salary sombrero.

I feel better about our run home after using the ladder predictor.

The Dees have Freo, Collingwood, Carlton and Brisbane in the last 4 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should have been rotating more players throughout the season to give more of them AFL experience in preparation for this predictable situation, if it is the case.

Not necessarily, just pick the best team for the conditions.

The field is a sloppy mess and Alex Pearce has dodgey legs.....give him the week off.

Mitch Crowden is mediocre....but he tries hard, brings pressure, and keeps his feet, give him a run.

Colyer looked like he was on ice skates last week, don't pick him.

Horses for courses.

Not necessarily, just pick the best team for the conditions.

The field is a sloppy mess and Alex Pearce has dodgey legs.....give him the week off.

Mitch Crowden is mediocre....but he tries hard, brings pressure, and keeps his feet, give him a run.

Colyer looked like he was on ice skates last week, don't pick him.

Horses for courses.

That’s all fairly subjective, especially when 80% of the side play like s**t in the rain. The younger players tiring at the end of the year is a different consideration I think.

That’s all fairly subjective, especially when 80% of the side play like s**t in the rain. The younger players tiring at the end of the year is a different consideration I think.

I said not to pick Colyer, 6 possessions and zero tackles.......

Terrible week from the match committee, playing the likes of Crowden, Banfield and Wilson probably wouldn't have won us the game but would have been closer. Melbourne had more players at the contest all night, it looked like 18 versus 20 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back