Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
From the article - I think they do

View attachment 713876

Well fair enough, though their simulations are based on their statistics and they got Melbourne so badly wrong in the pre-season :D

The 50% chance of the Eagles finishing in the top 4 is representative of them not having a clue how to use statistics to rate our team.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
That prediction graphic would be horrible if true. Collingwood and Essendon hosting finals could see us sent to Geelong.

4-1 should get us to top 2, maybe 3-2 as long as we beat Richmond. I could see Lions dropping 2-3 of their last 5; I think Hawks will do them this week.

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
Let's win one game first and guarantee finals. I think the one game at a time approach is the right one because everything else changes fast.

From there it'll be another win for a home final most likely, and then another for top 4. I would have taken a finals appearance to back up the premiership at the start of the year, so I'd be thrilled with top 4.

Gaffy Duck

All Australian
May 12, 2019
Fight Club
AFL Club
West Coast
Champion Data has us finishing fourth which would mean an away game to a shared ground against Geelong. Both the Eagles and the Cats call the MCG their alternate home ground so apart from the air travel, not be too bad.

Obviously the preferred outcome would be to win the next 5 and we stay at Optus but the alternative still gives us a double chance

View attachment 713869

Champion Data also said Melbourne had the best list

I think we can all agree that it is best to ignore Champion Data for realistic analysis. Supercoach, fine. Real footy, no.

Stats, regardless of who collates them, are good for explaining for what happened but next to useless for predicting what will

It’s the fundamental flaw with Champion Data extrapolating past results into future predictions. The sooner the media realise this and stop sprouting it as some sort of gospel the better

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Stats, regardless of who collates them, are good for explaining for what happened but next to useless for predicting what will

It’s the fundamental flaw with Champion Data extrapolating past results into future predictions. The sooner the media realise this and stop sprouting it as some sort of gospel the better

Yep, you get one upset and most of their predictions can go out the window.

Brolga

Grumpy Old Git
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Champion Data use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp-post.
For support rather than illumination

My tealeaves say 4-1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
It is possible for three teams outside the eight currently on eight wins ,Port,Hawthorn and the Bulldogs to each win their last five games and finish on thirteen wins.They do not play each other so no garanteed loses for any of them so it might take fourteen wins just to be garanteed a top eight spot without a very good percentage.
-Still a long way to go in the season but we have very little wriggle room and need to win four more games to be a realiatic top two definate top four chance.I reckon we can .The Richmond game worries me not because I fear them.They have only beaten us once in five years and that was dodgy time at the mcg but theres every chance a few things can go wrong, an injury or two a bit of dud umpiring and the margins for error are not very much in any game .As we learned v Collingwood.
Really think very serious time for the Eagles starts this weekend and pacing yourself through the marathon season is just about up and the sprint finish starts early this year.

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
It is possible for three teams outside the eight currently on eight wins ,Port,Hawthorn and the Bulldogs to each win their last five games and finish on thirteen wins.They do not play each other so no garanteed loses for any of them so it might take fourteen wins just to be garanteed a top eight spot without a very good percentage.
-Still a long way to go in the season but we have very little wriggle room and need to win four more games to be a realiatic top two definate top four chance.I reckon we can .The Richmond game worries me not because I fear them.They have only beaten us once in five years and that was dodgy time at the mcg but theres every chance a few things can go wrong, an injury or two a bit of dud umpiring and the margins for error are not very much in any game .As we learned v Collingwood.
Really think very serious time for the Eagles starts this weekend and pacing yourself through the marathon season is just about up and the sprint finish starts early this year.

I ran a ladder predictor where Port, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs won all their remaining games. GWS missed the 8 with 12 wins. It's not what you'd call a likely outcome :D

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
If 2019 has demonstrated anything, it is that this season is full of surprises.

Doggies, Hawks, Norf, Freo and both SA teams have not necessarily looked the best at times then have had big upsets. With a month or so to go, I expect the surprises to continue.

Last edited:

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I could argue we have been the most consistent team this year not that great, but not that far off either, just tracking at 70% all year is better than 2 100% and 3 50%. The other team that comes close to us regarding form and potential is Richmond. I know Geelong and Lions are ahead on ladder, but both those teams have major issues relating to age which will haunt them come finals. Brisbane will do well, but lack of experience will eventually take its toll on them. Dogs 2016 achievement is very rare and should not be a reference or a blue print.It will most likely not happen again just like Leicester winning the EPL. Lot of stars need to align for you to get there. Cats are too old, peaked too early, and most importantly, showed their best available game. Both Richmond and Eagles have another gear or two and Cats will not be able to match them. This year has 2017 premiers Vs 2018 Premiers GF written all over it. Forget the run home, Both these teams are due for a monster collision come last week of September, and they know it.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Just saw they’ve also got Richmond at the G in round 23, they won’t be winning that. So really, we should be able to tie up second if we an go 4-1, might even get lucky if we go 3-2.
My ladder predictor suggests 4-1 has us second on percentage, by a nose from Richmond. So that could easily be third if they smack a few sides in the next month but we currently have a bit of a buffer.

ShaunWCEFC

All Australian
Jan 22, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Ladder positions based on teams we are most likely to lose too first. (RIC, ADE, HAW, NM, CAR)

5-0 = 2nd / QF2 v GWS Giants

4-1 = 2nd / QF2 v Richmond

3-2 = 4th / QF1 v Geelong Cats

2-3 = 5th / EF1 v Essendon

1-4 = 7th / EF2 v Adelaide Crows

0-5 = 8th / EF1 v Brisbane Lions

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I like us against Richmond. They have gone on a good run and everyone is talking them up but I reckon our gamestyle at the G will bring them undone.

Back