Analysis The run home...

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the ladder predictor, if we drop two of our last eight, we will end up second or third.

That will leave us versing either Hawks or WC first round of the finals

Even with all our main rivals playing each other?

Or are you backing them all to lose just the once?

I think sydney might lose just the one game. Hawks will lose one and wce will lose two. We will be 1 or 2 i think.

Perhaps this past weekend will be the kick up the proverbial we needed and we will have some percentage boosting wins in the coming month. I will back us to beat richmond and wce with Port being the danger game.

Even with all our main rivals playing each other?

Or are you backing them all to lose just the once?

I think sydney might lose just the one game. Hawks will lose one and wce will lose two. We will be 1 or 2 i think.

I based that on Freo losing two games. Based on current form, Richmond, North, West Coast and Port are 50/50. Win 2, lose 2.

Hawks, Swans will be favorites in all games except when they verse each other. I have Swans beating Hawks at ANZ which will put them at the top of the ladder at the end of the year.

Swans
Freo
Hawks
WC

Fingers crossed our early season form comes back and Johnson has a speedy recovery.

It'll be an interesting 4 weeks coming up, it really shapes where the top 4 will finish.
Freo's games (by ladder position) are against Carlton 16, Richmond 5, GWS 8, Saints 13. By the time we play GWS there's every chance they are out of the 8 and we will be favourite in all (at worst evens against Richmond but currently favourite)
WC vs Pies 7, Sydney 3, Gold Coast 17, Hawks 4. Aided by playing both Sydney and Hawks with an extra 3 players on the field.
Sydney vs Hawks 4, WC 2, Adelaide 9, Geelong 11. They will be underdog in the next 2, with 2 teams battling for the top 8 after that including playing in Geetroit.
Hawks vs Sydney 3, Carlton 16, Richmond 5, WC 2. There are 2 must win games (Syd/WC) but a loss to Richmond could have repercussions, especially if Richmond get on a roll.

That's a lot of 8 point games for the other three teams. I can see us remaining a game clear, even with us losing one game. If WC are the real deal, and win 3/4 then it just about ensures that it will be a WA 1-2. Personally, I think they lose 2 of the next 4 and drop down to 3rd, with Hawks going past them.

Let's hope Hawthorn isn't an obstacle again this season.
Though if we play them in Perth (some time in the first 3 weeks of the finals series), it might be a bit better.
If Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell has to visit the Match Review Panel a 3rd time this season, he might be out for at least 1 match.

Last edited:
Though if we played them in Perth, it might be a bit better.
If Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell has to visit the Match Review Panel a 3rd time this season, he might be out for at least 1 match.
Same with our boy Fyfe though. Nervewracking.

Though if we play them in Perth (some time in the first 3 weeks of the finals series), it might be a bit better.

I'm starting to think the best scenario for us would be Hawthorn to finish 4th (assuming we finish top). If we have to play them during the finals better it be at home rather than on the G and, fingers crossed, should we win that game we likely won't have to play them again and certainly not in Melbourne at least. If Hawthorn lost in week 1 to us and still made the GF then all power to them, having already beaten them and having had the extra week off we'd never be better placed to beat them in Melbourne though. I dunno. I'm just operating under the assumption that we're going to need to beat them this year in a final.

I'd be happy to avoid them altogether of course but I'm too pessimistic to believe that would occur. Yes I'm getting ahead of myself in a big way but that's really the point of this thread.

I'm starting to think the best scenario for us would be Hawthorn to finish 4th (assuming we finish top). If we have to play them during the finals better it be at home rather than on the G and, fingers crossed, should we win that game we likely won't have to play them again and certainly not in Melbourne at least. If Hawthorn lost in week 1 to us and still made the GF then all power to them, having already beaten them and having had the extra week off we'd never be better placed to beat them in Melbourne though. I dunno. I'm just operating under the assumption that we're going to need to beat them this year in a final.
Was thinking that today, beat them over here and then Sydney to knock them out in the PF on the other side of the draw.

I can see us losing between 2-4 games. I have as much confidence beating Richmond at the G than I did us beating Hawthorn........can't see it happening at all. NM at Etihad Stadium will be tough. Derby will be tough, if things don't change quickly there is no reason to suggest we'll beat them. Port at Adelaide Oval will be tough, especially as Port may need the win for finals.

Did a ladder predictor on current form & us losing the 50/50 away games just to see where we will finish at the worst. Had us lose to WCE, Port, North & Rich with wins V saints, melb, Carlton & GWS.

This leaves the ladder
Hawks
Syd
WCE
Freo
Rich
North
Pies
Dogs

Hawks at the G first round..
Have the Hawks winning every game here out (a lot of tough games they could drop a few), Syd losing 1 and WCE 3.

I can see us losing between 2-4 games. I have as much confidence beating Richmond at the G than I did us beating Hawthorn........can't see it happening at all. NM at Etihad Stadium will be tough. Derby will be tough, if things don't change quickly there is no reason to suggest we'll beat them. Port at Adelaide Oval will be tough, especially as Port may need the win for finals.

The Richmond game is huge for me. Could be the win that kicks our form back. Richmond will have a couple out too in Edwards & Vickery. Plus they won't play a perfect qtr again.

Yep, I think our season hinges on the Richmond game. Win it, and I think we'll finish top 2. Lose, and I think we will slip out of the top 2.

The wheels might turn from earlier in the year, when we were bemoaning that we would meet WC and lose our home advantage. The opposite might occur. Finishing 3rd/4th might still be OK if Syd/WC are top 2, and we match up with WC in the first week of finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I think our season hinges on the Richmond game. Win it, and I think we'll finish top 2. Lose, and I think we will slip out of the top 2.

The wheels might turn from earlier in the year, when we were bemoaning that we would meet WC and lose our home advantage. The opposite might occur. Finishing 3rd/4th might still be OK if Syd/WC are top 2, and we match up with WC in the first week of finals.
I cant see us finishing higher than 3rd. I think we'll finish 6th if my predictor comes out true.

At the beginning of the season I had hoped we'd be 10-4 at this point, and I would have been pretty happy with that. I had us pencilled in for losses in Tassie to Hawthorn, Geelong in Geelongistan and one of either Sydney or Port at home. Then I thought, well there'll be that one annoying loss we always seem to have when we really shouldn't... So 10-4.

The fact we're 12-2 and lost in Tassie (expected), had the STUPID (but expected) loss that we shouldn't have (Richmond), but beat all three of Geelong away, plus Port and Sydney at home puts us better than I personally expected.

Yes, we have danger games on the run home. We are now seen as beatable. The 'unbeaten' / 'best team in the comp' tags have been ripped off like a rotten bandaid stuck to a weeping sore, and squashed in the dirt.

This is what I think:

Carlton (h) - W
Richmond (a) - 50/50
GWS (h)- W
StK (a) - W
WC (h) - 50/50
North (a) - 50/50
Melb (h) - W
Port (a) - 50/50

If we split the 50/50s and win the ones we should, we should still have 6 wins up our sleeves, leaving us on 18/4, and a top 2 finish. But they seriously gotta get their s**t together, starting this weekend. Fingers crossed.

If we finish anywhere lower than 2nd it would dead set be the most disgusting thing I've seen following Freo. It's absolutely disgraceful people are even entertaining the idea, however unfortunately they are fully justified in doing so. We need to come out and make an absolute statement leading into finals, starting this weekend. No excuses!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back