Prediction The run home

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats don't lie

If your happy with the consitant turnovers and our ball use going in50 that's fine

Couldn't care less if we are 3rd doesn't change the fact that the stats are s**t and I highly doubt the consisant turn overs will hold up against the best
Aren't we also the best at defending scores from turnovers?

Stats don't lie

If your happy with the consitant turnovers and our ball use going in50 that's fine

Couldn't care less if we are 3rd doesn't change the fact that the stats are s**t and I highly doubt the consisant turn overs will hold up against the best

I dont think our weekend form is good enough!
I think/hope we can play at our best and win it all, might be more hope who knows

Just dont think its all lost, played some good footy this year

I think the swans best footy is the clear best in the comp
Only once this year was there a game where it was no chance in the last (gws) the rest we actually should probably have won, bar maybe Richmond

We should be first

Flag is ours if we want it

Wheres the positives thread!

I am still hopeful we can win it but at different times this year I just get the feeling the Footy Gods aren't smiling on us. No appearance your worship from Reid, Long term injury to Tippett, Talia and now Jones who was really throwing a cat among the pigeons with his wreckless attack on the man and ball and kamikaze type running from defence and of course the narrow defeats that would have us clearly on top.

Having said that I won't be shattered as much as disappointed if we don't win it this year for 2 reasons.

1.Those arrogant Henry The Thirds Hawthorn don't win it after some other team shits the Bed Grand Final Day after they have been armchaired to the top of the table by The AFL umpiring Panel Of 2016.

2.All the promise of this year by the young and midrangers and experience gained is not wasted and we take the comp by the scruff of the neck with Franklin & Tippett carving a path to a dominant Premiership Win next year.

You never know though this team this year can look terrible at times with skill errors, bad decision making and a lack of structure and cohesion up forward but then there is our Best Footy which can look as equally as good as our worst looks bad. Our best is not inferior to any of the other contenders best and I am with you when you say ours is the best because we have one other element that the others don't and it still maybe the difference. We can apply Tackling pressure around the football at a level none of the others can. We have deficiencies yes but so do others and I'm hopeful.

Last edited:

Honestly, anyone who has watched the Swans every week, as I have, would HAVE to agree that Sinclair has been our biggest disappointment this year.
Port Adelaide and Trengrove have proved a traditional ruckman is not a necessity. Particularly, one who can't mark the bloody ball.

Please don't tell me you used Port Adelaide and the words 'proved a traditional ruckman is not a necessity'. They are coming where exactly...they are missing Ryder and a fit Lobbe like there is no tomorrow!

Just did the ladder predictor, it's so tight at the moment I think we can only afford to drop one game at most and still make the top 4, and even then we might have to rely on other results to go our way as % will play a part.

If we do make the 4, the bye before the finals start might give Tippett an extra week to get back which could make all the difference between success and failure come September.

Several of the contenders play each other in the final rounds, which might help:

GWS v West Coast in Round 21 at Spotless and Adelaide v West Coast in Round 23 at the Adelaide Oval could be crucial in breaking the current deadlock at the top of the ladder.

We might be placed in the unenviable position of having to barrack for Norf when they play the Giants at Etihad in Round 23! *shudders*

Just did the ladder predictor, it's so tight at the moment I think we can only afford to drop one game at most and still make the top 4, and even then we might have to rely on other results to go our way as % will play a part.

If we do make the 4, the bye before the finals start might give Tippett an extra week to get back which could make all the difference between success and failure come September.

Several of the contenders play each other in the final rounds, which might help:

GWS v West Coast in Round 21 at Spotless and Adelaide v West Coast in Round 23 at the Adelaide Oval could be crucial in breaking the current deadlock at the top of the ladder.

We might be placed in the unenviable position of having to barrack for Norf when they play the Giants at Etihad in Round 23! *shudders*
Considering our filthy record coming off the bye (unless we play Geelong), I wonder how we'll go if we make the top 4 and potentially have to come off the bye twice during the finals.

Please don't tell me you used Port Adelaide and the words 'proved a traditional ruckman is not a necessity'. They are coming where exactly...they are missing Ryder and a fit Lobbe like there is no tomorrow!
You would expect that with Port's opposing ruckman winning 90% of hitouts that they would get killed in clearances. Do they? NO.
They are actually well up in clearances. most ruckmen hit the ball anywhere, more times than not to an opposing player. Hitout stats are totally meaningless. It is their marking around the ground and when forward which makes a ruckman useful and Siclair can't mark.

You would expect that with Port's opposing ruckman winning 90% of hitouts that they would get killed in clearances. Do they? NO.
They are actually well up in clearances. most ruckmen hit the ball anywhere, more times than not to an opposing player. Hitout stats are totally meaningless. It is their marking around the ground and when forward which makes a ruckman useful and Siclair can't mark.
Leigh Matthews is that you?

I would suggest that it's the whole of a ruckman's output that determines their value. Hit outs are one matter. Marking is another. Far less obvious but equally as important are things like physical presence, blocking, tackling, hitting the ball to advantage whether on the ground or in the air....

Talls that effect outcomes in these lesser obvious areas are like gold. That's why Reid is so important. That's why Tippet is so important. And it's why Naismith is so impressive.

I would suggest that it's the whole of a ruckman's output that determines their value. Hit outs are one matter. Marking is another. Far less obvious but equally as important are things like physical presence, blocking, tackling, hitting the ball to advantage whether on the ground or in the air....

Talls that effect outcomes in these lesser obvious areas are like gold. That's why Reid is so important. That's why Tippet is so important. And it's why Naismith is so impressive.
I don't disagree with what you are saying. What I am saying is that Sinclair fails in the areas you are referring to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely believe the biggest thing a ruckman brings its physicality. 2014 mumford plays and there is no way we get bullied all over the field. he would have just slung tackled lewis or hodge or mitchell and it would have been on for young and old.

having said that - when you watch genuinely good ruck players they are like gold. When one side has em and the other doesnt it the ball can move out of stoppages very very quickly. The reason that they just hit it any where is because there is another guy also doing it - and in the same way there are very few genuinely contested marks per game there are very few genuinely clean hitouts. but when it happens you know about it

Stats don't lie

Perhaps they don't, but they don't always tell the truth either... they can be manipulated to say just about anything you want ;)

No need for such doom and gloom imo. We've played 17, won 12, lost 5 (all close and mostly through brain fades and inexperience) and we are sitting fourth with a game in hand. We may not have played brilliantly all year, but then neither has anyone else. Most of this year we have been billed as the number one or two team in the competition, and I for one, firmly believe that when we bring our 'A' game, we are unbeatable! Sure our oldies are slower, and our youngsters can be a bit unpredictable, but it's exciting, heart-stopping stuff :D and our depth is sensational. I think the final bye will be a bonus for us and the bye and the week off will have all those old men at Hawthorn and Lolnorf seize up and tank!

Its a really close season, but I predict we will win the last 5, finish somewhere between 2nd and 5th (no real idea - percentages give me a headache!) and then go on to win the GF. Despite what the stats, the pundits or anyone else says... I'm a believer!! The Swans to win the 2016 flag!:trophy:

You want a game where predictability and perfection is the norm? Try synchronised swimming :p

If there is a tough game today in bad weather followed by the big flight home and a 6 day break with Port Adelaide making its last stand and seemingly in form we are very vulnerable next week.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

4 : struggle to score with a one demential foward line
Tippett back changes this significantly, especially as it looks like he will be rucking less. Not only another marking target but he is capable of bringing smalls into the game more too.

Regarding ball use going into the 50, we have shown on occasion this year when we bring our best we are capable of lowering our eyes and hitting targets. Geelong and Collingwood games spring to mind.

If we bring our best during finals no reason we can't, but I do believe chances hinge on Tippett's availability.

Can't stop thinking about that BS 50 just before three quarter time against the Hawks, it might cost us a top 4 spot. Yes I'm bitter. :p

Can't stop thinking about that BS 50 just before three quarter time against the Hawks, it might cost us a top 4 spot. Yes I'm bitter. :p

What about all the other bs decisions

And the dogs was a bullshit one too

Tigers we did it ourselves

But umpires cost us 2

3 if you count the crows, betts fair shoved smith in the back

We've been screwed a few times by umps this year but in all those games we were still in a position to win and blew it ourselves.

I figure the umps are saving all our favourable decisions up for the grand final..

As long as they Sydney teams finish 2nd & 3rd, I'd expect us to progress through to the prelims. Excluding some sort of cataclysmic even, or something down right devastating, GWS should make the prelim ala Freo 2006. Hawks will most likely scrape through their qualifying final, but will come up against one of the Sydney teams. They're experienced enough to get it done over GWS, but the last few times GWS have played them, they've smashed them.

It's a very real possibility that there'll be a Sydney derby in the first & last week of the finals.

Crows are currently on 134.8% with a 101-point lead over Essendon. Even if we failed to overtake GWS, don't underestimate the importance of staying ahead of Geelong and Adelaide. Next week Geelong play Essendon and Adelaide play Brisbane. So one slip up and we could miss the top 4 entirely!

Crows are currently on 134.8% with a 101-point lead over Essendon. Even if we failed to overtake GWS, don't underestimate the importance of staying ahead of Geelong and Adelaide. Next week Geelong play Essendon and Adelaide play Brisbane. So one slip up and we could miss the top 4 entirely!

Someone is going to finish on 17 wins and finish 5th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back