Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
The Run Home
With only six weeks to go in the 2016 home and away season, the following considers how each club should fare on their road to finals. Although mathematically there are a few more possibilities, after looking at the draw, I've included first through ninth. So, here it is; the run home.

1. Hawthorn (13-0-3)

Hawthorn-150x150.jpg

Richmond, Carlton, Melbourne, North Melbourne, West Coast (away), Collingwood

Following a brilliant win against Sydney on the weekend, Hawthorn sit atop the AFL ladder at the conclusion of round 17. A game clear but with a poorer percentage, it seems Hawthorn have done almost enough to secure a top two position come season end.

The Hawks should start strong favourites in the majority of their remaining games, with wins expected against five of their opponents. West Coast seems the toughest assignment, and depending on the ladder at round 22, could be a game to rest some ageing bodies. Though a win definitely plausible, a likely return would be 5-1. One thing to note however, is many of these games could be percentage boosters and keep the Hawks on top, should another team equal their record.

The run home: W,W,W,W,L,W

Season finish: 18 – 0 – 4

Look for Hawthorn to finish in pole position for a tilt at a fourth consecutive flag.

2. Adelaide (12-0-4)

Adelaide-150x150.jpg

Geelong (away), Essendon (home), Brisbane (home), Fremantle (away), Port Adelaide, West Coast (home)

After a rocky start to the season, Adelaide have notched eight wins on the trot, moving from 4-0-4 to 12-0-4, and with it taking second spot on the ladder. Whilst some of their remaining games seem secure, there are a few danger games for the crows.

Even with Port Adelaide sitting well down the ladder compared to their cross-town rivals, the derby is always a hard-fought match and this year should be no different. One to two games dropped seems reasonable, the first likely against Geelong this week.

The run home: L,W,W,W,L,W

Season finish: 16 – 0 – 6

3. Bulldogs (12-0-4)

Bulldogs-150x150.jpg

St Kilda, Geelong (away), North Melbourne, Collingwood (home - ES), Essendon, Fremantle (away)

A few periodic losses have kept the lid on over at the kennel. Despite a tightly bunched top eight, the Doggies have managed to find themselves a game clear in the top 4, and looking to consolidate a double-chance come finals. Although the Dogs have managed some good wins over Sydney, West Coast and Adelaide, they are 3-0-4 against top 8 sides, with a percentage of 87.9%. With perennial finalists again looking firm in 2016, the Dogs will garner a lot of neutral support in the finals. On the their way there, I'd expect two losses. One to Geelong down at the Cattery, and one other somewhere in the mix. Likely St Kilda, North or Collingwood.

The run home: W,L,W,L,W,W

4. GWS Giants (11-0-5)

GWS-150x150.jpg

Port Adelaide (away), Richmond (home), Gold Coast (away), West Coast (home), Fremantle (home), North Melbourne (away)

Of the top 8, probably the least likely at the start of the year to be in contention for a top 4 finals birth. Ahead of schedule and looking dangerous, the Giants have proven they can take it up to the best. Although enduring some expected setbacks, GWS and their youngsters have what it takes to win a finals game.

Looking at their run home, they should manage three to four games without much fuss if they're the real deal, with the tougher games against West Coast and Port Adelaide. I've given them the home game and a loss away, leaving them in a percentage race for fourth. Whilst they are unlikely to go deep into September, any finals action will prove invaluable experience and give them a great foundation for 2017.

The run home: L,W,W,W,W,W

5. Sydney (11-0-5)

Sydney-150x150.jpg

Carlton (home), Fremantle (away), Port Adelaide (home), St Kilda (away), North Melbourne (away), Richmond (home)

Despite having five losses on the board, Sydney still maintains the second highest percentage in the league, at 135.5%. With four of their five losses coming at a combined 20 points, the Swans could easily be sitting at the top of the ladder.

Having already endured the toughest part of their home and away season, the Swans now finish with only one game against a top 8 contender, North Melbourne. The expectation from coach John Longmire and his team should be six consecutive wins to round out the season.

The run home: W,W,W,W,W,W

Season finish: 17 – 0 – 5

6. West Coast (11-0-5)

West_Coast-150x150.jpg

Melbourne (home), Collingwood (away), Fremantle, GWS (away), GWS (away), Hawthorn (home), Adelaide (away)

Danger time for West Coast. Although the Eagles sit in equal 4th position on the ladder, remarkably, they have managed only a single win against another top 8 side. Even more worryingly, that came against North Melbourne, and during the Kangaroos form slump.

Eagles fans will be hoping to secure a home final in the lower bracket of the top 8, but will need at least the next three games to go in their favour. Potentially a danger game against the Pies in round 19, they should manage that, but not much more. One win from the last three plausible, I've given them a win over the Hawks.

The run home: W,W,W,L,W,L

Season finish: 15 – 0 – 7

7. Geelong (11-0-5)

Geelong-150x150.jpg

Adelaide (home), Western Bulldogs (home), Essendon (Etihad), Richmond (MCG), Brisbane (away), Melbourne (home)

After missing the finals for the first time in nine years, Geelong have against proved their worth with a solid home and away season. Starting with an upset win over premiers Hawthorn, the Cats have flourished with the introduction of Patrick Dangerfield. Combining with Joel Selwood, the duo have led the Cats to a 6-0-2 record against top 8 sides. Unfortunately, disappointing performances against weaker teams this year have left the Cats with only eleven wins, sitting 7th. Fortunately for them, the run home looks good.

Although Simonds Stadium (or Kardinia Park for those who remember it) is no longer the impenetrable fortress it was a few years ago, it's still a tough ask for a team to travel and win there. Should easily put away the final four games, the first two the only worry. One loss a possibility, but individually, can't really see it.

The run home: W,W,W,W,W,W

Season finish: 17 – 0 – 5

8. North Melbourne (10-0-6)

North-150x150.png

Collingwood (Etihad), St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn (MCG), Sydney (home), GWS (home)

What a fall from grace. Starting the season with nine straight wins, North looked set for a finals birth and potential top 4 finish. However, with six losses from their previous seven games, all of that has come crashing to a halt. To make matters worse, five of those six losses were against top 8 sides, the other from their potential replacements, Port Adelaide.

This season, their record against other finals aspirants sits at 2-0-5, for a percentage of 83.4%. If that doesn't make for good reading, their run home looks even worse. A loss in the next two games would be disastrous for the Kangaroos, and it might come this week. With four losses likely to round out the season, unfortunately for supporters, this year might be over.

The run home: L,W,L,L,L,L

Season finish: 11 – 0 – 11

9. Port Adelaide (8-0-8)

Port-150x150.jpg

GWS (home), Brisbane (away), Sydney (away), Melbourne (home) , Adelaide, Gold Coast (away)

Could Port Adelaide be this year's Steven Bradbury? Probably not, no. They're not going to win the flag. But Port definitely could make the 8, something North Melbourne had the chance to snuff out last week but didn't. Now, after knocking off the Roos, Port Adelaide sit poised to take their place in September action.

Port definitely still have their work cut out for them and, two game behind North, aren't necessarily in complete control of their destiny. What they do have however, is a slightly more favourable draw. With a bit of luck, Ken Hinkley and his men could look to take up to five of their last six games.

Brisbane, Melbourne, and Gold Coast should be wins. I've given Port a small win at home this week against GWS, and a win against Adelaide in the derby would give them thirteen wins, cementing their finals spot. It's certainly possible to be done with as little as eleven, but with some luck they won't need the percentage.

The run home: W,W,L,W,W,W

Season finish: 13 – 0 – 9

All said and done, if the above were to transpire the final ladder would look something like this:

Ladder_prediction_run_home.jpg

A few final points to note: obviously there are some individual games where a choice has been made that may seem unlikely (e.g. Collingwood > Bulldogs, Port > Adelaide). This reflects a batch of games where the expectation is a loss somewhere and a game has to be chosen. Secondly, percentages haven't been accurately calculated. Outside of the game differences (Hawthorn, West Coast, Port Adelaide), I believe Geelong and Sydney to come down to how dominant they are against weaker opposition. Either of the two should make up the top 2 with Hawthorn. Following on, Adelaide seems the most likely to clinch 4th with either Geelong or Sydney in 3rd. Lastly, GWS and the Bulldogs should secure a home final in the bottom four of the eight.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Figured with the top 8 almost in lock I'd do a quick write-up on the run home for those in with a chance. As with all these predictions, it's obviously subjective and I've made one or two unlikely games I'm sure. Apologies to North fans, I hope I don't get too much hate! :oops:

St Kilda are still a chance of playing finals too, albeit a slim chance but if we beat the Bulldogs and North we'll be right in the mix.
Port will definitely be keen for saints to beat north. Then you have 3 games as favourite I think after that?

Port will definitely be keen for saints to beat north. Then you have 3 games as favourite I think after that?

After the Bulldogs and North we play Carlton (MCG), Sydney (Etihad), Richmond (MCG) and Brisbane (Etihad).

We'll probably go in as favourites in all those games apart from the Sydney game and that's still winnable given that it's at Etihad.

Still pretty unlikely that we'll play finals though, we'd probably need to win all our remaining games and hope North and Port drop a few games.

That's kind of my point - Carlton / Collingwood / St Kilda
Essendon and Brisbane won't beat us.
Richmond are 9-41 against us since 1982. 3.5 decades of bitching there.
Melbourne. Maybe but by then we should be stronger in the midfield to ensure lightning does not strike twice.

Just need to get through this fortnight, which luckily are both are at home. Do that and I'm confident.

Essendon and Brisbane won't beat us.
Richmond are 9-41 against us since 1982. 3.5 decades of bitching there.
Melbourne. Maybe but by then we should be stronger in the midfield to ensure lightning does not strike twice.

Just need to get through this fortnight, which luckily are both are at home. Do that and I'm confident.

Heh - funnily enough if Adelaide get up this weekend, I'm somewhat bullish about the Crows going undefeated until the finals.....

But it would be a strange strange time in the AFL world that I'd ever feel confident winning a game at Kardinia Park...

Geelong are not going undefeated for the rest of the year

and Port are not making the finals 2 games clear of North

Definitely unlikely, I think I mentioned that Port could make the 8 with as few as 11 wins. It's just a prediction and everyone differs. Bit like Mike's top 50, no one will agree on everything!

St Kilda are still a chance of playing finals too, albeit a slim chance but if we beat the Bulldogs and North we'll be right in the mix.

They are mate. But going through on my personal predictions, I have them at 11 wins. I think with their percentage as well, it was unlikely enough not to include them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Home final will be huge with Sydney and Adelaide likely to make up the 4. We have to win well, not just scrape over the line like we have been.

One thing I didn't touch on with Geelong was the potential for them to finish 4th and get an "away" game against Hawthorn. Playing at the G round 1 with a double chance might be better than finishing 3rd, travelling away to Sydney.

Beat you on Saturday and I'm confident we will. The last 4 games is very cushy.

I bet Geelong said the same about Carlton, Collingwood and StKilda.

Fact is it is a very very high standard and even season and still 1-3 to go. No one knows and 1 result in about a dozen games changes all. Who knows?

FWIW I think North hang on just and my top 8

1 Hawks
2 Swans
3 Dogs
4 Crows
5 Cats
6 gWS
7 wCE
8 Roos

Hawks Premiers
Swans Ru

I can't see Port beating Adelaide, and I honestly don't think they stand much chance against GWS either.

IMO St. Kilda are a better chance of sneaking into 8th because they don't need to beat one of the top 7 teams to do so.

I think North will hang on though.

The supporters of top half teams are. The supporters of the bottom half teams probably lost interest when they realised that they couldn't make the finals and that Hawthorn was on top again.
I was being a smarty pants.
I'm actually very interested in seeing:
Geelong foamers after Hawks win 4 in a row.
Crows GWS attack and attack in their inimitable fashions.
Dogs do their thing on the MCG.
Swans fail to meet expectations, despite the leg up.

After a rocky start to the season, Adelaide have notched eight wins on the trot, moving from 4-0-4 to 12-0-4, and with it taking second spot on the ladder. Whilst some of their remaining games seem secure, there are a few danger games for the crows.

Even with Port Adelaide sitting well down the ladder compared to their cross-town rivals, the derby is always a hard-fought match and this year should be no different.

A few final points to note: obviously there are some individual games where a choice has been made that may seem unlikely (e.g. Collingwood > Bulldogs, Port > Adelaide). This reflects a batch of games where the expectation is a loss somewhere and a game has to be chosen.

Adelaide's start wasn't that rocky. They lost three away games against top 8 sides by less than a couple of goals.

There is no reason to tip Port ahead of Adelaide. Adelaide are currently in second spot with a 12-4 record and a percentage of 132.7% whereas Port are 9th with a 8-8 record and a percentage of 109.9%. At their meeting earlier this year in round 2, when Port were heavy favourites, Adelaide won 22.12 (144) to 11.20 (86), a margin of 58 points.

There is of course no guarantee that Adelaide would win, but by any sane measure one would have to tip Adelaide ahead of Port for this game, surely.

I simply don't buy your explanation that this choice "reflects a batch of games where the expectation is a loss somewhere and a game has to be chosen". Why would you have to choose an extra unlikely game for Adelaide to lose but not do the same for Hawthorn or Geelong?

Last edited:
Can't see the crows dropping a game after this coming weekend. One big test at skilled but Geelong are looking anything but impressive at the moment

Hawks have a couple of bogey teams, and a loss opens up Adelaide for minor premier if they can beat Geelong this week

From there, those 2 should end up facing off in the final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back