Analysis The run home

Remove this Banner Ad

JD888

Team Captain
Sep 24, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looking at the the five teams above us and their respective runs home it would appear that we arguably have the softest run into September. Anyone care to do the analysis?

Lol these threads.

Meanwhile we get pumped by Brisbane, cop a 60 point deficit to north at half time coming into the game with loads of form, allow a small forward in his third game to kick 7 and lose in the dying stages to a shabby swans outfit (without buddy) and not turn up in a final quarter v west coast when the game was on the line. (All unexpected outcomes).

We could win all 11 or lose all 11.

Ultimately a team’s percentage speaks volumes. We are way off it. However we have improved and will continue to develop.

KOLOKOTRONIS

I still can’t get Ronke out of my head.

That game completely shot the confidence of the group. Those final minutes were painful. That’s all it takes in footy. If we win that game we don’t lose by 60 the following week.

We are fragile mentally which is expected in a developing side.

We are missing Rioli big time. He doesn’t touch it much however the forward line walks taller. His application and attitude is enormous. He is one of the best players I’ve ever seen.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Happy to call 14 & 8 now. Close loss to Sydney who are a top 4 contender. I was at the Brisbane game and the Lions were brilliant on the day. A 15 point loss to the Eagles not bad. Scrappy win over Port who are a def top 8 contender. Call me crazy but I am still a believer. Yes we are playing ugly but there are some signs.

Last edited:
Happy to call 14 & 7 now. Close loss to Sydney who are a top 4 contender. I was at the Brisbane game and the Lions were brilliant on the day. A 15 point loss to the Eagles not bad. Scrappy win over Port who are a def top 8 contender. Call me crazy but I am still a believer. Yes we are playing ugly but there are some signs.

How old are you out of curiosity.

I remember I used to do the same.

1996 was the year... the joy of making the finals and then heartbreak as dunstall accelerates the end of his career and Holland gimps out in the marking contest lol.

I have to laugh at your “calling it”. However good for you mate! Lol

KOLOKOTRONIS

Happy to call 14 & 7 now. Close loss to Sydney who are a top 4 contender. I was at the Brisbane game and the Lions were brilliant on the day. A 15 point loss to the Eagles not bad. Scrappy win over Port who are a def top 8 contender. Call me crazy but I am still a believer. Yes we are playing ugly but there are some signs.

I like your optimism , but Port didn’t look near top 8 yesterday imo, I don’t think they’re a benchmark. But 3 points flattered them.

A fit Cyril,birch and more games into Cegs - sure we might shape up much better and god help prob even be able to tweak the game plan but those former 2 could take weeks to get into form.

Is Birch anywhere near coming back anyone??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The squiggle has us finishing 9th with loses to GWS, Cats and Swans for the rest of the year. Probably not far off being pretty accurate.
I like squiggle but squiggle doesn’t allow for upsets
Eg melb beating Adelaide by 91pts
Or Nought melb beating syd on their home deck
Or syd beating Geelong on their home deck

After Adelaide slipped out of the 8, we've now played 8 of our 11 games so far against top 8 sides. That is a very tough first half of the season, and yet we are 1 win (and percentage) off 5th spot. For a side not in the 8, we've done quite well against the top 8. 4 wins, 4 losses, and only 1 blowout margin. Probably a very handy record compared to many of the actual top 8 sides against each other. Our loss to Brisbane and disastrous last 5 minutes against Sydney has been the difference between sitting comfortably in the 8, and now having a much smaller margin of error for the back half of the season.

8 of our last 11 games are against teams not in the top 8, which gives us some hope for climbing back into the 8. As mentioned by another poster, Squiggle has us only losing 3 more games (GWS, Cats, Sydney), which would easily have us play finals, but Squiggle also factors in the probability of losing close games, and we have a lot of games Squiggle considers close in our last 11 games, so they figure we'll lose another 2 of the close ones and that will be enough to miss finals. As mentioned, Sydney and Lions losses have put the season on a knife's edge now. We can possibly afford one more unexpected loss, any more than that, and we are relying on upsets against teams considered stronger than us to maintain touch with the top 8.

Last edited:
and not turn up in a final quarter v west coast when the game was on the line.

Not really the case - we tried all we could but West Coast just smothered us and didn’t let us get the ball forward. It was completely different to the first half vs North and whole game vs Brisbane. There was effort and endeavour in that fourth quarter - West Coast were just too good.

Not really the case - we tried all we could but West Coast just smothered us and didn’t let us get the ball forward. It was completely different to the first half vs North and whole game vs Brisbane. There was effort and endeavour in that fourth quarter - West Coast were just too good.

I didn’t feel they were that much better actually. More of a confidence issue to take the game on. West coast are not that good. We were just expected to lose and played that way in the last. Perhaps I’m reading too much into psychology. That’s how I saw it.

There were options players were not taking.

Disappointing finish to a game we could have won.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Does anyone think we can beat Richmond, North, West Coast, Melbourne.... in September.... in a span of 4 games?

When Birchall and Rioli get back...?

Nah.... our midfield and our defence lack a few key members.

Unless we finish top 2, it seems to me that our wins this year are just pure enjoyment, and the rest.... i don't know how to feel about it. I don't know what finishing top 8 means, except that i hate losing.

Our draw is flattering not playing at AO and only having 3 interstate “away” games for the rest of the season. 3 of our 5 losses have been by under 3 goals to arguably the best 3 teams in the competition. 12-14 wins for the year seems attainable but I wouldn’t get the pencil out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. But it means nothing due to how inconsistent we are at present.

The run home means everything - there isn't a single game in the last 11 that I don't think is winnable

Which means if we are good enough then we'll play finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back