rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Written by Steven King, under an alias, starring Arnie in easily his best role ever.

I would say The Running Man is the greatest movie of all time - from the cool bad guys he has to fight, such as Sub Zero the crazed Ice hockey player, to Fireball (If I have to tell you what he uses to kill people you're an idiot).

Featuring possibly the greatest one liner ever, and surely the basis for the McBain character from the Simpsons, Arnie pours Gasoline all over inferno, and says matter-of-factly "Got a light?" before throwing a lit Zippo lighter onto him.

Gold.

Awesome quotes:

Damon Killian: This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, Ben, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em *what they want*! We're number one, Ben, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years.
Ben Richards: Well, I may not have been in show business for as long as you have. But I'm a quick learner. And right now, I'm going to give the audience what *I* think they want.

*that was right before Arnie straps the dude to an explosive laden sled and shoots him through a billboard*

Damon Killian: You bastard! Drop dead!
Ben Richards: I don't do requests.

Ben Richards: [after strangling Sub-Zero with barbed wire)] What a pain in the neck.

Amy: You're lucky he didn't kill you, too. Or rape you, then kill you. Or kill you, then rape you.

Ben Richards: [to Killian] One of us is in deep trouble.
[Sven enters]
Damon Killian: [Laughs] Sven, do you wanna talk to Mr. Richards?
[long pause]
Damon Killian: Well?
Sven: I've got to score some steroids.
[Sven leaves]

Amber: Me and my big mouth. We should have taken the trip to Hawaii.
Ben Richards: I had the shirt for it, but you :D:D:D:Ded it up.

Damon Killian: There are still two stalkers out there. Dynamo and Fireball. Who do you think will make the next kill?
Elderly Lady: Oh my. That's a tough one.
Damon Killian: Come on, Angus. You can do it. Who do you think?
Elderly Lady: Alright, I think the next kill will be made by... Ben Richards.
Damon Killian: No, no. Angus, Richards is a runner. You have to pick a stalker.
Elderly Lady: I can pick anyone I choose. And I choose... Ben Richards. That boy is one mean mother****er.

And the best ever:

Amber: [after Richards cut Buzzsaw in half with a chain saw] What happened to Buzzsaw?
Ben Richards: He had to split.

ben Richards is obviously Arnie's character, Killian being the bad guy. I need to get this on dvd!

rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
ExTasDeeMan said:
Here's your Subzero, now plain zero.

Although the movie was pure cheese, it did have some very prophetic visions of future entertainment.

When you consider the book (which is obviously less cheesy than the movie itself) was written in the late 70's it's amazing actually.

I know it's cheesy, but it's one of those movies you want to see on a Sunday when you're hangover, like Army of Darkness (the only real competition to Running Man imo) and just watch it without having to think and enjoying the smorgasbord of violence, women and one-liners while drinking a beer or two and eating something that makes Diego look un-greasy.

Matching Mole

Cancelled
May 24, 2005
Gala Mill
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Village Green Preservation Society
Though I was initially going to offer Andrei Tarkovsky's haunting Mirror or Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy as my candidates for the title, they do lack people making puns as they murder people, Yaphet Kotto in a supporting role or Stephen King source material. And what good is a film without these things?

rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Matching Mole said:
Though I was initially going to offer Andrei Tarkovsky's haunting Mirror or Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy as my candidates for the title, they do lack people making puns as they murder people, Yaphet Kotto in a supporting role or Stephen King source material. And what good is a film without these things?

hahaha i like.

Mindless violence, pure escapism, these are the things I need on a Sunday.

I bought the 2 DVD special edition from the States about 6 months back.

Easily my favourite Arnie film, even better the first 2 Terminator films.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
ExTasDeeMan said:
Although the movie was pure cheese, it did have some very prophetic visions of future entertainment.
I've thought that for a long time.

We're almost at Series 7 (the movie).

A little more time and The Running Man will be the next reality tv show, with Billy J Smith and Fiona MacDonald hosting.

I nominate the Skaf family to get the ball rolling.

ExTasDeeMan

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
NYC
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Demons
red+black said:
I've thought that for a long time.

We're almost at Series 7 (the movie).

A little more time and The Running Man will be the next reality tv show, with Billy J Smith and Fiona MacDonald hosting.

I nominate the Skaf family to get the ball rolling.

Did you know the narrator in Series 7 is GOB (Will Arnett)? We can all see a bit of the Truman show with baby Hewitt

coxon

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
love it... my fav. arnie movie... been meaning to get it on dvd, as i've only got a copy on vcd...

love the characters he fights... kinda like my other fave cheesefest movie from the eighties.. van damme's bloodsport.. where he fights a variety of characters with different styles... :thumbsu:

Aug 26, 2003
Jub-Jub is fantastic! He's everywhere u wanna be!
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
UTS Bats
One of my all time favourite movies...

"Boy, you're lucky he didn't kill you too. Or rape you, then kill you. Or kill you, then rape you. I mean, a guy like that, what would stop him?"

"Need a lift?"

"I live to see the day you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm gonna ram it into your stomach and break your God Dam spine!!!! Arrrrrgh!!!"

Catfish Jake

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Oct 27, 2003
Eskimo County
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Rokeby Blue U8's - U12's
Awesome movie. For a moment there I thought you may have forgotten the awesome Buzzsaw quote. Best Arnie one liner ever, no question.

Dynamo was a gun.

THERE'S WIMMIN AND CHILDREN DOWN DER!

What was that one, where the girl says she is going to throw up on arnie, so he says it's okay, in his shirt it won't show up! GOLD. Or maybe that was Total Recall. God damn.

rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
I'm convinced that any male who doesn't like this movie should officially lose his man license.

drew_j

Premiership Player
Mar 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fedor Emelianenko
Written by Steven king under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. Interesting note is that in the book Ben Richards Character *spoiler warning* flies a plane into the building of the corporate headquarters of the station */end* add that to prophetic visions. Also under Bachman King wrote the Long walk Which is another future game show type book, and even better then the running man. I doubt Arnie could get a role in it tho.

But my fave part of Running Man the movie is Climbing for Dollars a spoof t.v. show with that dude trying to climb the rope while Dobermans bite at his heals while trying to get money the further he goes. Classic.

rick James

Cancelled
Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 8, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
drew_j said:
But my fave part of Running Man the movie is Climbing for Dollars a spoof t.v. show with that dude trying to climb the rope while Dobermans bite at his heals while trying to get money the further he goes. Classic.

haha yeah that was awesome - you know, it really was quite prophetic, the propheticness of it is amazing in its ability to be prophetic.

Such a great word that, prophetic.

Aug 19, 2005
1060 west addison
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
gala,l'pool,storm,mvfc
i agree it is one of arnies best movies,shame you cant get it on dvd here(hello its 2006 every arnie movie is on dvd exept this

i love it when buzzsaw enters the building and pushes the fan over and the fan goes'buzzsaw he touched me'or when one of the punters yells out'200 on ben richards and the look on the bookies faces are priceless

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Saw this for the first time tonight.

Loved some things about it, wasn't too keen on others.

The final third of the storyline was pretty ordinary (and I note the reason for this is explained by a poster earlier on in the thread) and the crowd scenes were just non-believable - was extras casting more hit and miss back in those days? Or the directing just ordinary? I dunno.

The attempts at social commentary were a welcome surprise but at first I a bit underwhelmed by them, particularly in scenes involving the television/show ads/recordings etc. However, having gone back and watched an ad from Channel 10's 1997 series House from Hell, I can see just how off the mark I was. The Running Man was prophetic in some ways. It is probably harder for people of my age and younger, having grown up in the era of House from Hell and then Big Brother, among other things, to appreciate how ahead of its time this film was.

On the plus side, I loved Arnie in this one, his quips were classic Arnie, and his cute lady sidekick was fun to watch.

If it weren't for the Arnie and 80s nostalgia (I was born the year the film was made) factors I'd probably have to give it 2.5 but all things considered, 3.5 stars from me.

Still one of your favourites, LouisCK ?

LouisCK

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Saw this for the first time tonight.

Loved some things about it, wasn't too keen on others.

The final third of the storyline was pretty ordinary (and I note the reason for this is explained by a poster earlier on in the thread) and the crowd scenes were just non-believable - was extras casting more hit and miss back in those days? Or the directing just ordinary? I dunno.

The attempts at social commentary were a welcome surprise but at first I a bit underwhelmed by them, particularly in scenes involving the television/show ads/recordings etc. However, having gone back and watched an ad from Channel 10's 1997 series House from Hell, I can see just how off the mark I was. The Running Man was prophetic in some ways. It is probably harder for people of my age and younger to appreciate, having grown up in the era of House from Hell and then Big Brother, among other things, to appreciate how ahead of its time this film was.

On the plus side, I loved Arnie in this one, his quips were classic Arnie, and his cute lady sidekick was fun to watch.

If it weren't for the Arnie and 80s nostalgia (I was born the year the film was made) factors I'd probably have to give it 2.5 but all things considered, 3.5 stars from me.

Still one of your favourites, LouisCK ?

Oh definitely, just saw the thread title and was like "which other legend out there rates this movie?!??!" then realised it was me.

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
Grew up on Arnie and Stephen King so have loved this movie since the start. For what it is, it's done very well and is a great solid fun watch. Don't have in my top 10 but I might have in the 80's. Then again I loved Commando hard too.

Personally I rate the Stephen King (Richard Bachman) story way higher and they are very different. The story is much gritty and grim and not full of fun characters like Buzzsaw (he had to split) or Sub Zero (now just plain zero) and Jessie the body Ventura acting his butt off.

Glad others see this for the awesome it is though!!

I loved watching this film growing up. I had this and Predator on high rotation and still spit out quotes from it.
"Won't show on this shirt"
"Only on a rerun"
"Who loves you and who do you love?"
"YES!" with Killians outstretched arms
"I don't do lequests"
"Now that hit the spot" :D

On recent viewing the bodysuits, Maria Conchita Alonso and the rebellion storyline don't do it any favours, but it's pure action candy.

I doubt an actual version of the novel would get made nowadays (given the ending and all, unless they change it)

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
Yeah after Sept 11 that's one of the first things I thought about.

At least these days Maria Conchita Alonso would have to hide a huge floppy disk in her cootch. All given her acceptance the first time she can obviously accommodate a whole media player up there.

500 on Richards!!!!!!!!!!
I live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!
You're lucky he didn't kill you, too. Or rape you, then kill you. Or kill you, then rape you.
Send me a copy

Back