Strategy The SA Race

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone on our board has mail that Saints will take Rankine over MKing if available

Whether that's a ploy to raise the value of pick 4 in the eyes of a SA club who knows... will definitely be interesting though.

I think Suns should be looking at swapping 3 for 6+whatever though. If what reported is true and they want to pair Luko with his mate Rozee there's a good chance Rozee is still available at pick 6 anyhow and I think the Suns would be willing to take that risk. Because of this reason I think deals involving picks 3 and 4 will happen during the trade period
The problem St Kilda pick 4 come after pick 3 , Port or Adelaide could get Rankine and Rozee at Pick 3 ,4 ,5 .

Twomey saying Gold Coast trading 3 is almost a certainty, but not sure who to. I would think it's 100% between Adelaide and Port.

This draft has a big 7.
3 of those are South Australians: Lukosius, Rankine and Rozee.
I think Gold Coast are very into the idea of selecting Lukosius and Rozee, as they'd come with a bit of security. Rozee will probably be available at 5 too, which Gold Coast are favorites to end up with. That leaves Rankine for one of Adelaide or Port.

I get the feeling Port are a bit hungrier for him. They're losing Polec and Wingard this period, supporter morale is pretty low, but Rankine is exactly the kind of player to galvanize the supporters. They've already given up all their second rounders for pick 6, and you'd think when they ransack Hawthorn's picks for Wingard, they'll have plenty of flexibility to get a deal for pick 3.

No he doesn't. Wingard didn't (ironically in light of recent developments). He's set a precedent. Rankine can do the same and save everyone from wasting two years if he really doesn't want to move.
So you think it would be ok/wise for Rankine to publicly go on record pre-draft telling clubs he only wants the Crows?

Because if Saints get 6 and 10 from Port then they would still get King. So pick 5 wouldn’t get all 3
But pick 5 and 19 could be a bit better than 4 alone for St Kilda .
6 , 10 for 4
Or 5,19 for 4 .
Or 8 ,13 for 4 .

So you think it would be ok/wise for Rankine to publicly go on record pre-draft telling clubs he only wants the Crows?

No, I think he should say he won't leave SA if indeed he won't leave SA. That's what Wingard did and so GWS didn't touch him. Few clubs would risk the go home factor if it's so blatant. Rankine has said he's happy to move and we should take him at his word.

A year ago plenty of people thought Brisbane should avoid Rayner because he was going to go home at the first opportunity, even though he openly said he would be fine with moving. He ended up signing an extension even before playing a senior game and has clearly bought into the club culture.

But pick 5 and 19 could be a bit better than 4 alone for St Kilda .
6 , 10 for 4
Or 5,19 for 4 .
Or 8 ,13 for 4 .

Yeah I’m basing it off of Adelaide getting 5 from Brisbane. Port are definitely better placed to get St Kildas pick 4.

If Adelaide gets pick 5 then St Kilda will feel extremely confident that King is still available at 6

It's quickly escalated into a shitty situation.

Media playing up the whole SA clubs have to get SA talent. So what if we pick Rankine is the media going to just make s**t up constantly until he ends up getting a trade in a few years to the Crows or Port?

I don't mind the look of Rankine, but if we could get MKing at 6 with 11 in the pocket, I'd take that.

not publicly...but who knows what was said in the player interviews with the clubs. What if hypothetically he told port that under no circumstances does he want to play for them either and will ask to be traded after his 1st contract if they took him because he is a huge crows fan and hates port..? Does not stop a club from drafting him, it is just a risk that he won't be there very long

What if whoever holds pick 5 trades it to the Bulldogs (for example) so they can get Max King?

I think they are interested in Smith. That is only my guess. With Boyd and Schache. I think they have the forwards but they could be interested in King if can play CHB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not publicly...but who knows what was said in the player interviews with the clubs. What if hypothetically he told port that under no circumstances does he want to play for them either and will ask to be traded after his 1st contract if they took him because he is a huge crows fan and hates port..? Does not stop a club from drafting him, it is just a risk that he won't be there very long
I’m talking publicly, I don’t care if he lets it be known he’s not keen privately, but the draft would be a farce if every kid could come out and declare they refuse to move.

Yeah I’m basing it off of Adelaide getting 5 from Brisbane. Port are definitely better placed to get St Kildas pick 4.

If Adelaide gets pick 5 then St Kilda will feel extremely confident that King is still available at 6
St Kilda get one of the King no matter what , the probability of more top 30 pick plus one of top 8 will entice them or St Kilda prefer Pick 4 Rankine and pick 28 .

I think they are interested in Smith. That is only my guess. With Boyd and Schache. I think they have the forwards but they could be interested in King if can play CHB

Or GWS once they get Essendon's pick, or Melbourne if they don't trade for May, Or Geelong etc etc. My point is St Kilda need to be damn sure they'll still get him at 6 or they risk a doing a GC-Clayton Oliver.

Or GWS once they get Essendon's pick, or Melbourne if they don't trade for May, Or Geelong etc etc. My point is St Kilda need to be damn sure they'll still get him at 6 or they risk a doing a GC-Clayton Oliver.
Exactly . Wait until the Transfer period end and all available pick fixed,it is so hard to predict what happen to St Kilda pick 4

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back