The Saga's TOP 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

The winner? James Albert Hird.

"How do I say this? People say things and they're untrue," Hird said.

"And (when) you know you've got truth on your side, you go hard. And when you get your opportunity, you tell the whole truth.

"And when the truth comes out, I think I'll be in a very, very good position, and so will this football club.

Never has a truer word been uttered!!! NOT!!!!!!!!

I think I have a new entry into my Top 3:

I just smile each time I think of the fact that some hotshot lawyer told the players "Dudes, I'm tellin' ya, they won't be able to prove that everyone took the gear. So if you all stick fat as a group - even though most of you did it, they'll have no choice but to let you all off! Genius huh?"

And then all the players led by their fearless and brave leader Jobe, desperately nodding their heads in agreement and thinking how clever they are.

Then the fearless leader on the blower to all his mates who have nothing to worry about cause they didn't actually take it anyway and never signed anything to say they did - convincing them to do him a solid and stick as a group and there'll be nothing to worry about.....

.....Then of course CAS turn around and say "well sorry lads, we know only half of you actually did it, but seeing as you're lumped together as a group - you're all gone. Seeya in 12 months."

Just priceless.

I don't sojourn to these darker parts of BF much any more, but this thread has given me some good chuckles as almost a highlights package of the Saga. However, I feel that some of the 'highlights' have been missed:

1. EFC Consultant, Dr Andrew Garnham, causes a media frenzy by announcing on 360 that, in his capacity as a member of the AFL's Anti-Doping Tribunal in Feb 2013, he had called ASADA and inquired about the status of AOD9604 and been told that it wasn't prohibited. He later backpedaled and admitted he was advised it was not prohibited under S2, then inferred that S0 was not considered.

2. Fogdog, a 'Blitz poster who "usually has very good mail", announces circa May 2013 that the Saga would be "over soon" and that EFC had nothing to worry about. Yep.

3. Hird's acceptance of his 12 month ban on the proviso that he was paid in full for that year and got a course at an exclusive French business school thrown in. Then, when this news broke like a thunderstorm, Hird, Tanya and the koolaiders defended this to the hilt and couldn't understand why anybody would have a problem with it.

4. Four Corners shows a reenactment of a taped meeting between Carlton FC officials and Nimo Alavi telling them that he can get them anything they want, no matter how banned and without any sort of reservation, before the tape is mysteriously destroyed and never spoken of again.

5. The letter from ASADA that "Dank showed everyone" clearing AOD for use, turns out to be an email from WADA doing nothing of the sort.

6. The AFL releases the results of a survey that reveals that "a dozen sides conducted supplements programs that lacked a single point of accountability." And, "found another 11 clubs ran programs with "medium or high levels of supplement use" as well as "identified an inappropriate definition of supplements and a flawed selection process in the employment of support staff. Players at nine clubs also independently sourced supplements. Some clubs had inadequate record keeping" This is then screamed by Bombers fans for months (years?) afterwards as proof that "12 other clubs were doing exactly the same thing as us!"

7. Doc Reid, who had all of this happen on his watch and didn't even demand to review records of what the players were being given, gets elevated to the EFC Hall of Fame at around the same time he is charged by the AFL Commission.

8. The three guys who make up the supply chain of 'supplements' to EFC ALL refuse to give official evidence one way or another. Not suspicious at all; not even after one of them, Shane Charter, initially tells ASADA investigators that he got TB4 for Dank, but then starts quibbling about the wording of his statement following, in his own words, death threats, and then he turns up some evidence that could help Essendon and 'uses' Mick Gatto to shop that around where it is purchased by a wealthy EFC coterie member.

9. Dank's story of how the TB4 that was given to him by Alavi was discovered to have been destroyed by sunlight by a testing laboratory that had no record of any such test.

10. Essendon posters' insistance that the AFL couldn't touch them/wouldn't do anything prior to the severe penalties for governance failures.

The number one though has to be that photo of the folded photo of the dodgily labelled vial. That had been built up over months as a vital piece of Essendon's defense that ASADA were ignoring. Then it final hit the media and was initially portrayed as the non-smoking gun that would clear Essendon, before everybody burst into laughter about its complete lameness.

I also think we need to acknowledge some of the colourful characters that the Saga has brought to us: The Weapon, The Pharmacist, The Gazelle with his esky of peptide ice creams, The Sea-Kayaker, Orange Danksy, Vitamins McVeigh, Sleepy Reimers, Mick Gatto, The hermit former Test opening bat who knew nothing about football but took up the Hird cause having been given a dossier by a long-time Hird buddy and proceeded to write a series of detailed letters and emails, compile 34 volumes of information, all with one finger... The Fallen Goldenboy, The 80s action movie wealthy bad-guy - Paul Little, The Henchman - Dean Wallis, Slippery Charters - the convicted drug-trafficker who is reformed - or is he?

EDIT: mentioned Alavi twice and the Charters character needed a bit more detail. You just couldn't write this s**t!

That is legitimately funny.

I can't wait for Goddard's movie to come out.

1. Chip's story about the melatonin/Melatonan II. As told to him by Hird, no doubt. Never heard a more made up, bs story in my life. Chip has never done a mea culpa on that, either.

2. Hird's many quotes where he DOESN'T lie. Read into them what you will.
"These claims are horrifying to me, and are being made by a person or people who appear determined to destroy my reputation."

3. Little's public hissy fit when McDevitt offered for the players to "come in for a chat". I can only assume most of the players are regretting ever listening to Hird and Little now. Little is still trying to throw money their way. Wonder why? :rolleyes:

They were well played.

:drunk::drunk:This may now make a few peeps top 3..

Cardez02
Massive news @BrendanFevola25 the bombers are interested in a 10 game contract. great for marketing and great for the club essendonfc AFL

If this happens then * is officially a circus!!
Toot toot... :drunk:

Please please let this be true.

I'm pretty sure Warwick Capper isn't busy either.
Can we wheel Mark "Jacko" Jackson out as well? This will go down well at the Rnd 2 Season Opener, to rev up the crowd for the 1 minute applause for the guilty ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget some of Robbo's work on the Blackest day:

Day Zero and he was in full protect Hird mode suggesting it was Knights' fault
Knights fault that Hird didn't win a flag in his first year as coach, forcing him to try and fit 4 pre seasons of development into 1 to make it happen.

As we inevitably draw closer to the 'official' end of this wonderful 4 year saga, I'm getting a bit emotional at the thought of it all ending.
So I thought it might be good to compile the Top 3 moments of this joyous calamity:

3) Boncer34 getting some inside mail the day the story broke that it was a 'nothing to see here' moment and Would blow over in a day or two.

2) The night WADA appealed. The showmanship to leave it til the final minute, and the reaction that followed was just magic.

NUMBER 1)
Dank rocking up to the Middleton verdict.

Oh man.
no blackcat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back