The Saints- The Ultimate Pretenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: What has happened to the best list in the comp?

Perhaps what happened is that they never actually had the best list? They had all these promising youngsters, but when has it ever been better than any of the last 4 premiership teams at the time? Media hype, fantastic youngsters, great potential, never the best list

Spot on, won't stop the morons who think they know about the game though, the best list garbage started by the media has sucked so many unknowledgable football fans in.:thumbsu:

Injuries have hurt the Saints big time. I think they have not been able to put there full complement of players on the field for a couple of years. Is the window closed for them. I think not. If they can get a 50% record to round 12 and get there players fit in the next 7 weeks, Lyon will be able to show his coaching ability and they will really go into Spetember with a side capable of winning the flag this year (No that is not a typo).

But luck with injuries has to start to go there way for this to happen.

The thing with the Saints, when everyone was saying they had the AFL's best list, what they meant was best Top 10 players. And it was true at the time.

Riewoldt
Gehrig
Koschitzke
Hayes
Ball
Dal Santo
Maguire
Harvey
Goddard
Hamill (then)/Fisher (now)

Great top 10, but very little depth past that, massive drop-off to the second tier. Compare it to a team like Sydney or Adelaide, whose Top 10 isn't as strong, but whose 2nd tier is infinitely superior, and you'll see why they've out-performed St Kilda over the last few years.

Spot on, won't stop the morons who think they know about the game though, the best list garbage started by the media has sucked so many unknowledgable football fans in.:thumbsu:

So those drafts where you picked up the guys mentioned in the initial post were a fabrication of the media?

Look at the top five DPs in there. How can you not build a good list around them? You DID have a good list. Your second tier players were better. You had guys like Aussie Jones running off half back and a bloke named Aaron Hamill patrolling the forward fifty. You had Fraser Gehrig capable of doing something other than hoping for a bad bounce to get an easy goal.

You had a good list, and it appears as though you've squandered it. Saying you never did is rubbish. There were teams out there that would've killed for the talent you had at your disposal.

It's been urinated up against a wall.

Half those players wouldnt be considered for our seconds. Yeh ure rght we should learn to get used to them coz it just happens every year.

Your joking right?

Theyd all play for you. Whats more, youd over hype them ridiculously as well.

Weren't the saints hot when Brisbane were kicking butt back in the day?? Seems like the window of opportunity has well passed, Harvey BOG (?) case in point. It's a shame that they are in decline without having actually achieved anything. Major trouble with coaches and culture I reckon.

Thats the most worrying aspect of tonights performance by the Saints ..Harvey was by far and away their best player ...he showed what a bit of endeavor and class can do even in terrible conditions .
It's a pity he didn't have any mates out there to help him out .
Having a 37 yr old player as your best does not bode well for the future :thumbsdown:

Thats the most worrying aspect of tonights performance by the Saints ..Harvey was by far and away their best player ...he showed what a bit of endeavor and class can do even in terrible conditions .
It's a pity he didn't have any mates out there to help him out .
Having a 37 yr old player as your best does not bode well for the future :thumbsdown:

but he would be the easily the best in your side as well.

Justin Koschitzke - Middle of the range player. Dogged by injuries. Played one decent month of footy in his career.

I remember that...he looked like he was ready to tear the competition apart! These days it looks as though he's good for about 10 touches and a couple of ruck knocks per game, it's a real shame...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, St. Kilda has had wasted oppurtunities and may have squandered a near perfect list, but when in the 5 years of Grant Thomas at the helm did he have a full 22. Grant never got the chance to throw his best blokes on the field at the same time, and the same goes for Rossy Lyon right now. There was a list with the Saints top 10 players earlier, tell me when they have all been on the park together? Now take out Lenny who is out for 6.

Don't totally judge the Saints on their performance last night, when we had little of a defence. Yes it was pathetic, yes the forward line in Gehrig, Riewoldt, Milne did little and the midfielders played a shocker. But without a stable defence you can't build a winning team. No Max, Goose or Fisher is a huge blow. Having to put blokes like Blake, Gram, Goddard, 2nd gamer Gilbert on KPP's is asking for a belting.

I won't disagree, so far it is a massive dissapointment. I hate seein it as a long time Saints member. But I still believe with blokes like Hamill, Gardiner, Hudgton, Maguire, Fisher, Hayes to come back and with Ball and Kosi getting a bit of fitness, the Saints team would be near unbeatable with a full squad.

Heap it on, we deserve it.

Our recruiting has been awful since 2005. AWFUL.

No depth.

No speed, pace or accountable players have been drafted.

Is it time that some tough decisions were made down at St.Kilda and some players of value were drafted to fill some needs.

Will the likes of Dal Santo, Kozi, Milne be thought about as trade value?

Slightly off topic, but with Port's even performance and Harvey's lone hand, Harvey should've won the ANZAC medal, and I will not be at all surprised (or offended) if he gets the 3 Brownlow votes.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression that Fraser is over it? Didn't he almost retire last year?

Harvey, dual brownlow medallist. Continues to get the pill. Is he what Leigh Matthews is to Hawthorn, what Carey is to North? Will he be recognised as St.Kilda's greatest player?

The best list in the comp is getting ready to play Richmond at the MCG later on today.

As for the Saints, they are soft, they are injured, and they have a coach with a brain the size of a pea, not a good combo.

FFS YES WE KNOW WE WERE PATHETIC BUT WHEN YOU HAVE HAYES,BALL,RIEWODLT,KOSI,CLARKE,CLARKE,GARDINER,VOSS, all having interupted pre-seasons it doesnt help.

Plus Maguire,Hudghton and Fisher all out injured.
It's the same story with injuries every single year, your fitness and medical staffing needs to be completely overhauled. This happens every single year!

We have all overated Saints for a very long time..since 10-0 start in 04 they are 38 wins 28 losses

Its a glaring stat that jumped out at me when I look at their record.....I didnt dig deeper but I suspect many of those wins would be a telstra dome in perfect conditions....

we keeep putting them up as a great side ..when in fact they are just an average middle of the road team.....

I suddenly think Ross Lyon realises this side isnt that good.....yeah it has Riewoldt so what??....yeah they wil beat up the weaker teams and probably win one final then get bounced out

This current crop cant win the flag...thier window has closed in my view. Its a pity because I actually wanted to see Harvey win a flag....he deserves one and hes not going to get one this year....

Re: We have all overated Saints for a very long time..since 10-0 start in 04 they are 38 wins 28 los

The Saints have had many great sides in their history, the 90's being a perfect example. Teams with guys like Lockett, Harvey, Winmar, Burke, Loewe etc never got a sniff (other than the 97 GF). Is it that dreaded "C" word?

Thier list is good....but it aint the best and never was in my view..modern footy is won in the midfeild.....thier midfeild is no where near west coast or crows or swans...their defense is no good either

since 2004 start when they went 10 zip they are 38 wins 28 losses....that tells me they are a middle of the road team

see other thread

Re: We have all overated Saints for a very long time..since 10-0 start in 04 they are 38 wins 28 los

They will play finals. Just gotta get their act together, and with a few players returning from injury, they will improve.

Still reckon they could be the highest placed team coming from Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back