The Salary Cap floor is too high

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you rollover savings to future years? Otherwise theres no point lowering the floor as clubs need to use it anyways
Lowering the floor allows you to pay players hwat they are worth, not a percentage of your list. A bad player deserves a bad wage, whether they are at a team full of stars, or a team full of spuds.

It’s a massive Furphy imo that teams are forced to overpay to meet the cap, it is so simple to get around by simply front ending contracts. You also have the ability to take salary cap dumps. They overpay because players are much more likely to leave if they are at a crap side or at an expansion club.

Then the player wants to leave a year or 2 early when they cop lower paying years at the back end of their contract.
Which wouldn't be a problem if the AFL allowed clubs to trade players for cash, because at least then the club could get compensated for front loading. But the league outlawed that too.

The main problem I have with the floor is that it also comes with a cap on list sizes. If they abolished the maximum list size then clubs bottoming out can simply draft more kids to reach the cap floor, not pay spuds more money (which is the inevitable outcome of the current system).

This is the solution. If list sizes were minimum 36 and maximum 50 that lets good teams reduce numbers to pay their players more and bad teams recruit more players rather than paying overs to spuds. You'd probably see more talented mature aged players get a go too if a struggling club can recruit them without it meaning they take less kids at the draft.

Then the player wants to leave a year or 2 early when they cop lower paying years at the back end of their contract.
Which wouldn't be a problem if the AFL allowed clubs to trade players for cash, because at least then the club could get compensated for front loading. But the league outlawed that too.

Rather than trading players for cash you should be able to count payments on any year of their contact but still pay them evenly.

Eg: I sign a player for a 2 years at $500k and pay them $500k each year but can put $700k as counting towards the cap in the first year and $300k towards the second year if I want. Players getting hundreds of thousands difference in pay from one year to the next in the same contract is just a bizarre thing to enforce.

Couldn't agree more! It is counter intuitive to FA when the bottom teams have to pay almost as much in the cap as the top sides. How can they attract top end FA's if they don't have any more room in the cap than the top sides - eg Jeremy Cameron going to Geelong (just an example)

Its the reason bog average players get paid $300-$400+ a year and then drive up the prices of decent footballers

Only s**t clubs pay terrible players 400k a year, smart clubs use that money to front load contracts for star players to allow them to be paid less in later years and so free up room to recruit stars when the club goes up the ladder.

Only sh*t clubs pay terrible players 400k a year, smart clubs use that money to front load contracts for star players to allow them to be paid less in later years and so free up room to recruit stars when the club goes up the ladder.

No s**t, but there are and always will be dumb clubs.

But it doesnt stop managers saying, player ZZZ on my books is getting $400,000 and player MMM is clearly a better player and should be getting more......(both players on same club is a prime example but works for different clubs as well)

Smart clubs would try to pay as close to the maximum each year as possible. You don't get to carry over cap space. Use whatever space you have to front load contracts so when you improve you have less burden. You can then use those funds to reward, retain, or top up with players.

Smart clubs would try to pay as close to the maximum each year as possible. You don't get to carry over cap space. Use whatever space you have to front load contracts so when you improve you have less burden. You can then use those funds to reward, retain, or top up with players.

is today opposite day?

No sh*t, but there are and always will be dumb clubs.

But it doesnt stop managers saying, player ZZZ on my books is getting $400,000 and player MMM is clearly a better player and should be getting more......(both players on same club is a prime example but works for different clubs as well)

So what? Dumb clubs who are run poorly will always come last no matter what you do.

And who cares what managers say? Managers will always twist everything to try and get their player a better deal, that's literally their job. Weak points.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like an 80% floor, however with a stipulation that 500% of the cap over a five-year period must be used.

This could also be tied into the AFL distribution - with the AFL covering TPP for each club each year, so as to not incentives clubs to hoard it for other areas of the business.

So theoretically in an extreme example, North Melbourne could pay 80% for the next two years, followed by 100% in season three and 120% in season four and five.

You actually can bank up to 5% of the cap you don't use from the previous year. Totally possible to go:

2020: 96%
2021: 104%
2022: 100%

etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always found the salary cap floor stupid. I'm sure there are very thought out reasons for it but this fella who just takes it at face value cant understand why clubs are forced to pay nothing players way more than they're worth just to reach this cap.
Lower the floor, teams tanking and giving up to target the draft before the season starts will get worse.

If you want true equalisation, the floor should be reduced substantially.

The way it works currently is that all teams 10-20th's players get paid roughly the same. Is there any reason someone like Menegola should be getting paid the same as North's tenth best player... ah Jed Anderson? No.

Take the floor down to 50, 60, 70% and allow North, Gold Coast whoever to come out and offer $700k to Menegola because they're paying spuds like Lemmens or Anderson 200k.

But then the debate will shift to whether Menegola should be getting the same as a topline mid. If Menegola is good enough to command 700k, and a club rates him at that, and Geelong are underpaying him, then it should be a done deal regardless of the cap floor.

So what? Dumb clubs who are run poorly will always come last no matter what you do.

And who cares what managers say? Managers will always twist everything to try and get their player a better deal, that's literally their job. Weak points.
The point is underperforming clubs have to overpay players to get to 95%. It's fact, simple.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Now there’s a football dept cap they should combine it with that. You can pay less than the floor but you have to make it up in football dept spend. If you have a young list you put the leftover cash into an extra coach or two.

Young s**t lists will catch up quicker with better coaching resources rather than overpaying some average over-the-hill player.

But the AFLPA will never agree so it’s moot.

The point is underperforming clubs have to overpay players to get to 95%. It's fact, simple.

No, they don't. They can manipulate players contracts so star players get paid extra in s**t years, and less when they climb up the ladder.

How do you not understand this?

Now there’s a football dept cap they should combine it with that. You can pay less than the floor but you have to make it up in football dept spend. If you have a young list you put the leftover cash into an extra coach or two.

Young sh*t lists will catch up quicker with better coaching resources rather than overpaying some average over-the-hill player.

But the AFLPA will never agree so it’s moot.
You'd lose half the assistant coaches if it meant you could get rid of them and sign a top level FA

No, they don't. They can manipulate players contracts so star players get paid extra in sh*t years, and less when they climb up the ladder.

How do you not understand this?
So who does north or gold coast pay the big bucks to? Whoever it is, is getting well overs. It then has an impact on other players wages who are better than those players getting paid less at other clubs

I've always found the salary cap floor stupid. I'm sure there are very thought out reasons for it but this fella who just takes it at face value cant understand why clubs are forced to pay nothing players way more than they're worth just to reach this cap.
The bulk of it is driven by the AFLPA, it protects their own and is far better for the average/mid level players boosting their wage. I think we need a cap floor, but it should be lower than it currently is.

Couldn't agree more! It is counter intuitive to FA when the bottom teams have to pay almost as much in the cap as the top sides. How can they attract top end FA's if they don't have any more room in the cap than the top sides - eg Jeremy Cameron going to Geelong (just an example)
I agree. People bag out the demons under that 2012-3 era when they had Mark Neeld as coach. Amazing that 2012-3 demons was almost paid as much as the Top 4 sides such as the swans, cats and hawks in those 2 years

So who does north or gold coast pay the big bucks to? Whoever it is, is getting well overs. It then has an impact on other players wages who are better than those players getting paid less at other clubs

North can overpay guys like Goldstein Atley Cunnington Tarrant and front-end their contracts, so that in 2-3 years when they start to climb the ladder those guys are at the end of their contracts where their salary isn't as high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back