Toast The Sam Power appreciation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still on the fence regarding Treloar, but welcome him with open arms. Looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the dogs.

That aside, the deal made by Sam Power was just extraordinary. I added the draft pick value numbers and am gob smacked:

Gave:
Pick 14- 1161pts
Future 2nd (lets say we finish fifth ~ Pick 27- 703pts
TOTAL= 1864 pts

Receive
Pick 26- 729pts
Pick 33- 653pts
Pick 42- 395pts
TOTAL= 1687pts

A difference of 223 pts, equivalent to pick 58.

So we got Treloar for ~pick 58 and Collingwood are paying $1,5mill of his contract... I tip my hat to you sir!

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence regarding Treloar, but welcome him with open arms. Looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the dogs.

But the deal made by Sam Power was just extraordinary. I added the draft pick value numbers and am gob smacked:

Gave:
Pick 14- 1161pts
Future 2nd (lets say we finish fifth ~ Pick 27- 703pts
TOTAL= 1864 pts

Receive
Pick 26- 729pts
Pick 33- 653pts
Pick 42- 395pts
TOTAL= 1687pts

A difference of 223 pts, equivalent to pick 58.

So we got Treloar for ~pick 58 and Collingwood are paying $1,5mill of his contract... I tip my hat to you sir!
It's a great piece of work. We were certainly lucky to be in the right place at the right time but Sammy's long term list and cap management, his creativity, his adaptability and the ice in his veins were vital in wrapping up the deal.

Let's be honest. Treloar wasn't on our radar in this trade period. Why would we go hunting for an A-Grade midfielder even if we were a chance of losing Dunkley? What fell into our path and made this possible were:
  • the lateness of the news that Treloar was being pushed out, so no club could do any planning and shuffling of lists in advance
  • the fact that no other Vic club was in a position to make a serious play (and that he wanted to stay in Victoria)
  • our reasonably healthy position wrt the salary cap
  • the fact that we had no reason to hold onto our first round draft pick this particular year, since we were mainly after points for JUH, not drafting "best available"
This was fertile ground but the salary was a problem. SP played hard ball with Collingwood in a take-it-or-leave-it proposition (you pay $300k p.a.) and he didn't fold under the pressure of the impending deadline because he knew Treloar wasn't a target player we were desperate to acquire, yet Collingwood were desperate to offload him.

Even then, adapting the deal to come up with a further 500+ draft points was a masterstroke.

At the end of the day, what club would knock back a player of this calibre at such a price (even without the draft points bonus)? There remains some risk - that he may become injury prone, that he declines after 2-3 years and that he has difficulty adjusting to his new team, his family circumstances, etc but the potential rewards are very high and I'm pretty sure Sam and Bev will have done their homework on him.

Let's also not forget that the Treloar deal played out against the backdrop of the Dunkley saga (and maybe some consideration of chasing Stephenson) so Power was juggling that as well. He would have needed contingency plans for a number of scenarios, including the position we now find ourselves in, i.e. what happens if we DON'T trade Dunkley? Is there room for both?

All up it was an impressive piece of work to be able to capitalise on the unforeseen developments at Collingwood. Let's hope we have enough in the cap going forward to secure our most prized assets, as other clubs will certainly be sniffing around for opportunities to prise them loose, as Dodoro tried to do so clumsily.

I feel like his background as a lawyer is a massive strength for him in this area. He is a beast at the negotiating table.

You can just see with all these ex-AFL industry nuffies in the media, most of them actually know s**t all about list management. Moving straight into these roles from playing/coaching/scouting/etc is not necessarily the best option.

Having played as well, he still has the eye for players but has the smarts for the behind the scenes stuff.

I don't think our club has ever been in better hands with the Bains/Power/Bev combo to be honest.

I feel like his background as a lawyer is a massive strength for him in this area. He is a beast at the negotiating table.

You can just see with all these ex-AFL industry nuffies in the media, most of them actually know sh*t all about list management. Moving straight into these roles from playing/coaching/scouting/etc is not necessarily the best option.

Having played as well, he still has the eye for players but has the smarts for the behind the scenes stuff.

I don't think our club has ever been in better hands with the Bains/Power/Bev combo to be honest.

I just had a look at this Linkedin and saw that he did a Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Commerce while he was playing footy professionally. I wonder what percentage of football players become lawyers.

I just had a look at this Linkedin and saw that he did a Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Commerce while he was playing footy professionally. I wonder what percentage of football players become lawyers.
Swap Commerce with Science and we just recruited one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No BS, no running to the media and respecting not to divulge what the other parties have discussed or offered. Respect!

No BS, no running to the media and respecting not to divulge what the other parties have discussed or offered. Respect!
Yeah Dodoro's getting his side out to the media, the baby. Also said today there was a three way trade with Collingwood that would have gotten us their future 1st, two 2nds, a 3rd and Treloar. Sounds good but his careful wording made it seem like all that was for Dunkley alone, but he never said that, he just said that's what we would have ended up with. 100% that deal included our pick 14 going out. Makes it look like we were being unreasonable though. He's such a snake.

When trade period comes around next year and we get the inevitable panicked calls for Power to hold the line or not to fold to the like of Dodoro, I will sit back relax and have a little chuckle.

He isnt one to background the media in the hope of white anting his opponent. He clearly says what he means and means what he says.

We'll never be an easily picked over feeder club under Sam Powers gaze.

Last edited:
This is a really good call I think. Bev aside, the other two still haven’t really proven themselves yet, Power needs to put together a list capable of sustained success and Baines needs to keep improving our position off field. But so far you can not fault a single move either of these two have made. I think you can just tell that they have what it takes and we couldn’t be in better hands right now. Whose in charge of drafting these days? Rated Austin’s early work with us before he left. Would love to still have Dal paired with SP in charge of our list.

Still think we need some changes in regards to our coaching ranks. It’s hard to tell from the outside but I think after the amount of time our line coaches have had at the club they just need to be judged on results now. Smith stays in charge of the backline, backline has been a genuine strength of ours for years, no issues there. I don’t have much of an opinion on King but I don’t think he should be in charge of our midfield. I think our midfield under performs considering the talent we have in there. And Hansen has just had long enough with our forward line without making even minor improvements so IMO it’s time for him to go.

What I’m trying to get at is the right people are in place at the top but we still have a lot to work on overall with regards to getting the right people in the right jobs imo.

Bump:

Look into to my eyes. Look into my eyes. I said look into to my non-blinking, dead, silent assassins eyes.

As I devour your soul!

HERO_141021_Trade3.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back