Toast The Sam Power appreciation thread.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Doesn't he hold the record for most games without a brownlow vote? Sam was not a great football player. He shaping up a as 'great' football thinker/negotiator.
Not a great footballer but a solid one and unfairly maligned because of where he was taken.

Have a connection through a family friend - nice guy, smart operator and loves the club. Great to see him getting the deals done.

We should be doing absolute cartwheels.

Two best 22 players in positions of need, keep our first rounder, and next year's downgrade is likely only a few spots. It's a very good position to be in.

I actually stopped reading phantom draft first rounds for a while as I didn't think we'd be participating.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Two best 22 players in positions of need, keep our first rounder, and next year's downgrade is likely only a few spots. It's a very good position to be in.

I actually stopped reading phantom draft first rounds for a while as I didn't think we'd be participating.

I really can’t believe he actually pulled it off. Teams just don’t add two good, mid-career, bookends in one year without even touching a first round pick.

As to the draft, time to reacquaint yourself:

Urtle

Debutant
Oct 6, 2000
The Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Steelers
I'm convinced we brought in Barry Hall to Marvel to give Sammy a concussion (all Barry had to do was look at him) and Ameet then had the enjoyable task of telling Sam he was actually Graham Wright...wins all around

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

darthbards

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan
May 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretty impressed with Powers performance,I'm not going to go all Carlton and call him a God,but that was a very solid first up performance,had me nervous.
Kudos.

giblj

Cancelled
Nov 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really good first two years for Sammy, particularly his work this year to hold onto the first through some tough negotiations. Deserves a lot of kudos after receiving some totally undeserved criticism from some.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

You should have listened to Sam from the start. Ye of little faith...

You should have listened to Sam from the start. Ye of little faith...
I've been a Bulldog fan since birth, fearing the worst is ingrained.

It is truly an outstanding trade period. We've done very well with picks in recent years, Wizard17 can expect a lot of questions in the next couple of weeks :p

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've been a Bulldog fan since birth, fearing the worst is ingrained.

It is truly an outstanding trade period. We've done very well with picks in recent years, Wizard17 can expect a lot of questions in the next couple of weeks :p
Given all us big footy plebs agree on our main weakness, curious to see if we can fill it at the draft. If not, wonder if we try and woo Papley next yr.

Not a great footballer but a solid one and unfairly maligned because of where he was taken.

Have a connection through a family friend - nice guy, smart operator and loves the club. Great to see him getting the deals done.
My fave Sam moment was at the MCG on the last game they had there before the Southern Ponsford Stand was renovated. I don't recall who we played but he kicked a goal and did the hand / fist to heart gesture. I like it when they do that 🌈

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
My fave Sam moment was at the MCG on the last game they had there before the Southern Stand was renovated. I don't recall who we played but he kicked a goal and did the hand / fist to heart gesture. I like it when they do that 🌈

Makes me feel really old but I remember his first goal at Optus Oval in 2002. He looked like a baby giraffe and almost embarrassed/shy with all the attention.

Sammy, you are a freakin star.

Makes me feel really old but I remember his first goal at Optus Oval in 2002. He looked like a baby giraffe and almost embarrassed/shy with all the attention.

Sammy, you are a freakin star.

The game I remember I think was the last round of 2002 v Pies who went on to lose the GF to Brisbane. We finished 12th out of 16. We lost the first 5 games and coming into the last game were on a 3 game losing streak.
We were 7 points up at 3/4 time and stormed home to win by 41 points. Sammy kicked one goal.
It was actually the last game for the *Ponsford* stand, which is where I was sitting and I think we kicked to that end in the last quarter so got to see Sammy come up to the cheer squad ? to celebrate his goal at the 5 minute mark. N Brown kicked a lazy 4 in the last.

Last edited:

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
Slaves.png

Excuse my poor editing skills. This is the first time I have ever made one of these.

HK_Bulldog

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Compare Power to Jason McCartneys efforts this year:
On Patton ‘our position is we’re after a mid-third-round pick and we’re trying to work that out with Hawthorn’
Result: Future 4th.
On Bonar ‘For where we picked him up, I’d think that mid-second-round pick, inside pick 30’
Result: Upgrade future 4th to future 3rd.

Palace03

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Crystal Palace, Victory
Power did very very well. These deals were not only important in terms of us needing the players we got, it is very important for Powers’ reputation going forward.

2 years in a row he has said our first is off limits and has set a reasonable price for his targets, he has stuck to his valuations and executed the deals.

List managers dealing with power going forward will know they will get a fair price but they won’t be able to pressure Power into caving and paying overs.

What's most impressive is that we gave up a late second round pick for a potential early third
So points wise, it won't be much of a difference
I hope and expect you're right.

It could be as low as 20 draft points (if they finish last and we win the flag). Twenty points is neither here nor there.

However at the other unlikely extreme it could be as high as 700 odd points which is equivalent to a pick in the mid-20s in DVI points. Those DVI points are specifically what we're in need of in 2020. My guess is it'll end up being around 200 points, making it equivalent to a 2020 pick in the 50s (in addition to our 2019 pick 45).

At some point this year or next year we will probably be looking to get back those sort of points through further trading, in order to match expected 2020 bids on NGA/FS kids.

Back