The San Antonio Spurs thread - A Fiesta of Youth

San_antonio_spurs.gif

spurs.gif

The Organisation:

GM: R.C. Buford - Arguably the best GM in the game. He first joined the Spurs in 1988 as part of Larry Brown coaching staff. He then spent a few years at the Clippers before moving to the University of Florida for the 1993-94 season. Popovich hired Buford to be the head scout for the Spurs in the summer of '94 and has remained with the organisation ever since. The Spurs have won 3 Championships with Buford as GM.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2007-05-21-cover-buford_N.htm

Head Coach: Gregg Popovich - The media darling and Head Coach of the Spurs Juggernaut, Popovich will go down as one of the greatest coaches in NBA history. With the exception of the lock-out season (1998-99), the Spurs have never won less than 50 games in a season and never finished the regular season in worse than 2nd place while Pop has been coach. Above all, he has lead this team to 4 Championships in that time and turn them into a model of consistency and professionalism. Popovich has won coach of the year twice.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1207572/1/index.htm

Assistants:

Chip Engelland - Chip "the Machine Gun" Engelland started his coaching career as a shooting consultant with the Detroit Pistons and the Denver Nuggets before excepting a role on the Spurs coaching panel in 2005.

Chad Forcier - The Chad has worked with the Seattle Supersonics, the Pistons and the Pacers before joining the Spurs in 2007 as an assistant responsible for player development.

Ime Udoka - The journeyman forward played 3 seasons for the Spurs during his career before being hired as an assistant coach in 2012.

Jim Boylen - Jim "Not the Milwaukee guy" Boylen is the newest member of the coaching team, replacing the out-going Budenholzer. Boylen has had quite a distinguished career, being an assistant to Rudy Tomjanovich when the Rockets went back to back in 1994 and 95. Boylen was the Head Coach for the Utah Utes from 2007-2011, lead them to a 69-60 record and winning the Mountain West Conference title in his 2nd season. He has also been an assistant with Golden State, Milwaukee and Indiana.
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/130628_spurs_name_jim_boylen_assistant_coach

121023122755-102312-kawhi-leonard-gregg-popovich-story-top.jpg

Depth chart:

PG: Parker/Ginobili/Joseph/Mills
SG: Green/Ginobili/Belinelli
SF: Leonard
PF: Duncan/Diaw/Ayres/Bonner
C: Splitter/Diaw/Duncan/Bonner

2013 Draft Picks:
#28 Livio Jean-Charles - Forward 6'9" 217lbs (France)
#58 Deshaun Thomas - Forward 6'7" 220lbs (Ohio State)
2014 Draft Picks:
#30 Kyle Anderson - Point Forward 6'9 230lbs (UCLA)
#58 & #60 traded to Philadelphia for Nemanja Dangubic
International Rights:

C Robertas Javtokas 2001 NBA Draft 56th pick
C Sergei Karaulov 2004 NBA Draft 58th pick
SF Viktor Sanikidze 2004 NBA Draft 42nd pick
F-C Erazem Lorbek 2005 NBA Draft with the 15th pick in 2011, in return for George Hill
PF Ryan Richards 2010 NBA Draft 49th pick
SF Dāvis Bertāns 2011 NBA Draft 42nd pick
G-F Adam Hanga 2011 NBA Draft 59th pick
G Marcus Denmon 2012 NBA Draft 59th pick

duncanfive14pf-1.jpg

Apologies if I've missed anyone. If there is anything you want me to add to the OP just let me know.

Last edited:

nufan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pelicans, Tottenham
Subbed. Although calling it the win factory after a collapse is cute ;)

Subbed. Although calling it the win factory after a collapse is cute ;)

I didn't say ring factory. However, a Win-Loss Record of 905-423 in the regular season and 133-83 in the post season since pop has been coach isn't too bad. ;)

As I posted in the Off-Season thread...

Wizards interested in a S&T deal with Spurs for Dejaun Blair. Ariza is probably the only player Spurs would be interested in that the Wiz would be willing to give up, but then Spurs would have to through someone else in to match salaries. I doubt it will get done.

Still hurting over last month.

Going to take a while to get over it.

No worries, mate. Can't believe it's been a 3 weeks already. I figured starting a thread so we can start looking to the future might help ease the pain a tad.

Der Kaiser

All Australian
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Won't get over the loss unless we can get Timmy his 5th this year, we were so close. On Ariza if Spurs could get him for Bonner + Blair that would be a great trade and considering he has an expiring contract would free up some cap space for next season. He would be a solid backup to Kawhi and there isn't many SF out there now that are decent. Lets be honest why would we want Bonner and Blair on the team again anyway? Trade won't happen though, hopefully DeShaun Thomas pans out over the summer league.

The Spurs go as far as Lenard improves this year. It's his and Parker's team now

Agree, but it will also rely on Green maintaining his Play-off from, Marco integrating into the system and us staying healthy in general; I'm looking at you, Manu.

Is Jan Vesely beyond repair? Had a lot of hype pre draft and would fill the back up SF role.

If anyone can fix him, the Spurs can. However, I don't see him ever being a SF. He's a 6-11 white guy with no 3pt shot. He has to learn to play in the post if he wants to make it in the NBA.

Der Kaiser

All Australian
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
I'm sold on Deshaun Thomas, he's a terrific scorer and would fit well with the Spurs, I honestly think he should be signed. Needs to work on his defense and is a willing passer. A training camp would do wonders for him. De Colo played horribly again and I feel he should be behind Mills in the rotation - maybe he could be trade bait/filler. Joseph yet again played well - very aggressive on offense but needs to settle down and not force things, Baynes was also patchy but hustled well for boards and it was nice to see him get angry during the last quarter.

Gary neal gone, maybe a bit of interest in Scola...

Already gone to the Pacers, mate. Should been ours anyway though. Grrr.

Am quite interested in Gortat as well.

Back