MrBeefSeven

Senior List
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Ah jeez, this really sucks...and I honestly thought he was going to stay. He was on the way to being my favourite player, but Manu will remain as that man.
All is not lost. We need young assets, future stars. If we can somehow get Brown/Tatum+a good pick from Boston or maybe even the #2 pick for Doncic as was suggested on twitter then this might not be THAT bad. I don’t like the idea of trading for Kyrie/Hayward or any other established star (unless it was like LeBron/KD lol)
Not a big fan of potential Lakers trades...wouldn’t touch Lonzo with a 10 foot pole.
Hope whatever deal gets done quickly so I can just focus on next season, but I trust they’ll do what’s best for the franchise.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
I too genuinely thought Kawhi would stay and be a Spur for life, but not to be.

Hopefully we trade with the Celtics and get something good in return, need some youth in the team, a new generation starts.

Rudy Gay has agreed to return to San Antonio on a one-year, $10 million contract, according to Yahoo Sports Sham Charania.

Gay had a contract option to stay in San Antonio worth under nine million. He opted out, entering unrestricted free agent. Other teams, including the Warriors, reportedly showed interest, but Gay decided to re-sign with the Spurs for another season at a slightly higher figure. The Spurs will likely use the non-bird free agent exception to re-sign Gay, which means they will probably remain over the cap. They should still have the full mid-level exception and the bi-annual exception to make other additions.

The fact that the Spurs didn’t have full bird rights to the veteran combo forward made his return seem unlikely once he opted out. Fortunately, all he was looking for was a bump in his paycheck. This new deal seems good for both parties. Gay will have another year to rebuild his value. He will have an opportunity to re-enter free agency next summer, when more teams are expected to have cap space. The Spurs, meanwhile, secured the services of a potent bench scorer who fit their culture well last season at a reasonable price and without compromising their future cap flexibility.

This move suggests the Spurs are not planning on embarking on a full rebuilding effort regardless of what happens with Kawhi Leonard. With Danny Green back and now Rudy Gay in the fold, San Antonio should be able to enter next season with the core of the team that won 47 games last year.

Gay averaged 11 points and five rebounds in his lone season as a Spur.

I have accepted the fact we will lose Kawhi. But if we trade him to the ******* Lakers I will vomit.

If we do it better include several future unprotected 1st round picks.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
I have accepted the fact we will lose Kawhi. But if we trade him to the ******* Lakers I will vomit.

If we do it better include several future unprotected 1st round picks.

Yeah the recent talk about him going to Philly would be (2nd) best case scenario for me.
I really don't wanna hate Kawhi, and I think its just a matter of being surrounded by an unhelpful influence, although the lack of any kind of public comment for 12 months is frustrating and I think he's really screwed the Spurs.
I think a move to Philly will allow me to still kinda support him without feeling like a traitor - because of the Simmons and Brown connection, and I would love them to be the teams that gets over GSW.
Im just not sure they have the pieces to get the trade done (though Pop and RC may be willing to sell him cheapish if it gets him out of the West).

I would really hate him going to the Lakers, and would only want it to happen if it was for the best possible deal.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
These Laker moves (in particular renouncing Randle to make room for Rondo on $9m) suggest they are going all in to win now.

I wonder if this might now become our best chance to get them to overpay for Kawhi?
I'm wondering if up until now they have been offering Kuz and Ingram together, and now they might throw Lonzo on top (coz he's pretty redundant alongside Rondo) hoping to get RC & Pop to be forced to say Yes to an offer.
(The other option is that Lakers are just bringing in these vets for 1 year, to see if they can make something out of this season, but still ensuring cap space next year - and Lebron has told Kawhi to just take another year off and get ready to sign as a FA in 12 months time).

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully we trade with the Celtics and get something good in return, need some youth in the team, a new generation starts.
Boston wont trade any young talent without wanting a guarentee he will consider signing long term and the bloke has stated he doesn't want to be in the East. He wants to be 3000miles away.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
They can keep Lonzo please.

I would be very happy with Lonzo.
Now he's my 3rd choice after Ingram and Kuz, but if he's the "steak knives" in the trade then I'd happily take it.

He has some improvement to make in his game, and his shooting needs a ton of work, but I reckon he will still be a very good PG in the league. (And then has the potential of a Jason Kidd if everything goes well).
He's a pretty good defender, and a pretty good playmaker.
Can you imagine having a 3-gaurd rotation of Lonzo-Dejounte-Walker? The defense and length would be pretty huge.

I also think that at the Spurs you could minimise the Lavar factor. A move to a small city might help Lonzo finally separate (which I think he's been doing), and if any organisation would have a shot at making Lavar a non-distraction its Pop and RC.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Well the trades done. (Kawhi and Green for DeRozan, Poetl and a 1-20 protected pick)

Now that he's no longer a Spurs player I can say: * Kawhi. Go E-A-big *******-D.

Congratulations guys - steal of the century. Gain an all-star player, a pretty decent up-and-comer and a high protected pick for a guy who wanted to leave anyway and a 31 year old past his prime.

Incredible stuff.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Considering the lack of leverage this is a really good deal

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would say "good" rather than "really good".
Derozan is a great pick up, but would've wanted more alongside him. (Even loosen protection on that pick).
But I am happy. Its done and time to move on, and Derozan is currently better than anyone else who was rumoured as a trade (except Kyrie - but dont see his personality fitting in SA).

Given other suitors and contract position - our only other choice would've been a gamble that LA will suck, and that by January Lebron pushes Magic to sell the farm for Kawhi, rather than wait for FA. (could still happen) - but thats a big risk and could easily backfire.

Back