Mega Thread The SANFL - Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Port Adelaide blamed for record SANFL loss

REH in the media thread mentioned this discussion on the main board where he laid out the facts.

Main board thread.

I would add as I did to the AFL board thread it's probably also worth noting that in the three years the SANFL is handing out $6M in 'grants', Port Adelaide is generating $12m in profits for the SANFL.

link
Firstly, we are very proud of our Club’s contribution to the South Australian Football economy and as Leigh Whicker stated at the time of the re-unification in November last year, the Port Adelaide Football Club will provide approximately $12M in profit to the SANFL over the next three years.
link

It's a simple solution that has been stated many times - if we are such a drag on the SNAFL, then give us the licence, kick us up the arse and let us survive or sink on our own efforts/results.

typical s**t Advertiser article. Even had to lie about the photo to try and make a point. The photo is from 2009, last game of the year when it was wet. Look at your jumpers...and the fact Leigh Brown is in the picture!

After the Capel article (refer the media shakes head thread) I don't think I'll venture there anymore!

Its all our fault!!!!

Surely the general public can do simple maths even if the snafl cant?

These muppets don't deserve a league of any description they could not manage something fun at a brothel

The sooner they go under they better for all...

I like how Olsen supposedly said to the SANFL board members last week that they needed to stop damaging Ports brand, that it was counter productive... and now this, what a week later?

Its funny, I got told months ago when the grants were released, on a different south australian footy based forum that the SANFL was foxing with these results, and that the only reason they are showing losses is to get the AFL to put up the money for the grants as opposed to the SANFL.

As ive said numerous times, look at WA football, look at SA football and if people seriously think that the Port is the sole reason why SA football is in the s**t then theres larger problems to worry about.

Just in addition, the cynic in me thinks that isnt it great timing for the SANFL to release this on the same day where Trigg and theadelaidefootballclubs heirachy should be coming under incredible scrutiny for the way they dropped Rendell.

Just in addition, the cynic in me thinks that isnt it great timing for the SANFL to release this on the same day where Trigg and theadelaidefootballclubs heirachy should be coming under incredible scrutiny for the way they dropped Rendell.

Agreed but Rendells story may be to big to bury?

I like how the more this kind of crap comes out the more people are not only talking about its inaccuracy and blatant disinformation but instead what needs to be done and what's obviously going very wrong. surely that has to be progress in some form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So they blame Port but don't provide a solution. Its time to rid ourselves of this burden.

Of course we are to blame. That is why the SANFL should hand back the licence to the AFL for $1 and cut its losses.

The Westeq/Sportsplay/Powerplay group masqueraded as the Edelsten group ( who was broke when the VFL awarded him the licence) paid $6.5mil for the Sydney licence and handed back the licence for $10 after a little more than 3 years.

The Weinert/Willesee group said they would pay $4.6mil over 5 or 6 years for the Sydney licence but gave up after paying $3.1mil within 4 years and handed back the licence to the AFL for $1.

Skase went bankrupt but the Brisbane licence was handed back to the AFL for nothing, and then the AFL conned old Reuben Pelerman to take over and he lost at least $5mil before he handed back the licence for $1.

Indian Pacific Ltd the public company that was set up hold the West Coast Eagles licence failed in its public float in late 1986/ early 1987 and was loaded up with debt, handed over the licence to the WAFC for a nominal fee in 1990 or 1991.

And remember these millions were 1985 to 1992 dollars not 2011 dollars.

Sydney and Brisbane are now membership owned and controlled clubs and WCE is run in a way to maximise its profits not the WAFC's.

Agreed but Rendells story may be to big to bury?

I hope it shows the rest of Australia just what kind of hicks the cow supporters are and I hope it rips them apart.

As another poster put it, if the gerontocracy of the SANFL reckon Port is a drain, then gives us back our licence.

The big difference I see is that the SANFL still make money off us.

Of course they do and the big difference with all the example's above was that the licence holders didn't own and/or run the stadium ( except when Indian Pacific Ltd handed over to the WAFC).

That's why the SANFL will jump up and down but wont hand back the licence for a nominal fee like the others did.

Of course we are to blame. That is why the SANFL should hand back the licence to the AFL for $1 and cut its losses.
When you consider we have already paid them for the sublicense, which I believe was the same cost as the AFL license, thats a clear $1 profit too!

That's why the SANFL will jump up and down but wont hand back the licence for a nominal fee like the others did.

Great, more years of SANFL pitting the SA footy public against their second largest source of revenue. Fun times :rolleyes:

being a perth boy i dont really understand the politics of this?

is this in any way true or we being scapegoated?

and why would they blame us they own our license right isnt it up to them to make us profitable?

are our crowds that bad?

:confused:

Answers below:

being a perth boy i dont really understand the politics of this? Not a question matey

is this in any way true or we being scapegoated? Yes it's true insofar as we're getting money back from the SANFL which they're reporting on

and why would they blame us they own our license right isnt it up to them to make us profitable? It's easy to blame everything on Port

are our crowds that bad? Yep, they were shocking in 2011

:confused: Read enough of REH's posts and you'll catch on quick enough

are our crowds that bad?

:confused:

Our non-Crows games @ AAMI/AO in 2011 averaged around 21k... pretty much the lowest in the AFL (an only a smidgen above NMFC and WBFC home averages against Non-Vic teams).

Of course the 29k @ AO helped lift that average, but we only had 14k in Rd22 against Western Bulldogs (21st Aug)... anyone recall why that was so low? Obviously, how form was bad (was just after those 2 huge thumpings by Collingwood and Hawthorn IIRC)... but was that also a "Bucket from the sky" day?

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back