Opinion The SARS-COV-2 and COVID-19 Political or otherwise all you can eat Buffet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No this is a gloves off free for all.
I’ve been watching Cobra Kai 🤣🤜
Seems like just crcle work s**t show.

Nothing new or interesting relating to the covid pandemic appears to being discussed.

Good news is we are living in Australia where it is under control... whilst it's completely out of control through most of the world.

We are thr lucky country.

Feel free to continue the circle work.

Good & bad politicians isn't contingent on a party. They all have good & poor leaders, yet many are blind to this...

Dan is more worried about losing a sporting event to another state than letting his people come home. Imagine being stuck interstate in your own country, FMD, I can only imagine the outcry if this was a Lib premier.
You are amongst the outcry? Don't you get it? Kirky is on one side and you're on the other (plus others). Neither of you see that you're as bad as each other.

Seems like just crcle work sh*t show.

Nothing new or interesting relating to the covid pandemic appears to being discussed.

Good news is we are living in Australia where it is under control... whilst it's completely out of control through most of the world.

Good & bad politicians isn't contingent on a party. They all have good & poor leaders, yet many are blind to this...
We always seem to be the lucky country. I’m not really sure why that is. We are not the wealthiest or smartest (by those education rankings). Is it good governance? I think it probably is.

He'll of a private plane their Kirky. Do you ordinarily just make sh*t up to support the governments that you barrack for?

I like the deleted tweet.

In a later deleted tweet, French world No. 53 Alize Cornet wrote: “Soon, half of the players from the AO will actually have to isolate. Weeks and weeks of practice and hard work going to waste for one person positive to Covid in a 3/4 empty plane. Sorry but this is insane”.

Welcome to Australia Alize.
I bet they didn’t tell you this was likely when contracting you to come. $$$$😜

It’s no wonder Great Britain have been struggling with their virus numbers.

They are now introducing quarantine period on arrivals. 😱.

The UK Government announced that from 4am on 18 January 2021, all international arrivals into England, will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test taken up to 72 hours before departure [1]. This move has been made to help protect against new strains of coronavirus circulating internationally.

Travellers arriving from a country not on the UK Government’s travel corridor list must still self-isolate for 10 days, regardless of a negative pre-departure test. These travellers still have the option to reduce the period of self-isolation from 10 to 5 days by paying for a test through the Test to Release scheme.

Edit: ABC news saying they are introducing 10 days quarantine but reading this sounds like it’s the PCR pre flight testing that’s new.
Seems like ABC might be peddling false or incorrect news. 😱😱

Last edited:
If we’re discussing how wise holding of a tennis tournament in Victoria might be.

Can you imagine how difficult Japan must be finding their Olympic Games already rescheduled for July. It can’t possibly go ahead. We are struggling with virtually zero cases. They still have thousands. There are virtually no flights. So no international visitors. No foreign flags waving in the grandstands.

I’m actually wondering if the whole shebang might collapse. Countries might be a bit reluctant to plough gazillions of dollars into these mass events with payback being fairly uncertain. These events are already risky to start with now even more so. 😢

Howard Spring’s NT has also raised capacity from 500 to 850.
There was an interesting article on the facility

Also it is probably not common knowledge but I believe the rotation of US Marines are actually quarantined at a Darwin City Hotel

He'll of a private plane their Kirky. Do you ordinarily just make sh*t up to support the governments that you barrack for?

A second flight has now had someone test positive. Nearly 50 players will be locked in rooms for 14 days, with no ability to train.
Players feel they were misled.
Well, Surprise surprise.

They will rush exercise equipment not afforded normal people but still this can’t be good for preparation.
Maybe all players should be locked up so it’s even like the AFL did to non Victorian teams.

There was an interesting article on the facility

Also it is probably not common knowledge but I believe the rotation of US Marines are actually quarantined at a Darwin City Hotel
I saw that the other day.
Saw some indigenous leaders saying it was dangerous and only quarantine should be at The Impex camp.

Minimise community risk ?
So your saying that a International tennis tournament is ok as it poses minimal risk.
State borders haven't opened because of minimal risk.
Australian citizens returning from overseas are a minimal risk.
Eventually all of those minimal risks will equate to probable risk.

Eventually? The outcome is already probable, near enough to certain. The virus was always going to escape quarantine, it's purely a matter of minimising the damage from that. Regular testing of staff was an obvious control measure that they missed. We live with this in varying ways every day. It's a given that a sparky will die on the job every year, but we still demand electricity to be connected to our power points. In any case, what I'm saying is that we already have a system in place to receive inbound travellers from covid infected countries. What is the difference between any of those people and the tennis players in terms of risk? Why not run the tournament, we still need to live our lives.

State borders should never have been closed. They're arbitrary lines on a map. Closing them is the bluntest of decision making tools. As an example, where I live, I could drive 1000km to see my brother on Eyre Peninsula but I couldn't drive 20km to a town on the other side of the Vic border that the virus hadn't ever gotten close to. Dont be fooled into believing that government decision making is always correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like just crcle work sh*t show.

We can discuss whether the NSW chief health officers decision to allow the Sydney test to go ahead based on the information they had from testing and contract tracing was dangerous or not. I say he/she had all the information to make the call and the positive case numbers were low and he/she would be proven right. Others thought it was wrong and there'd be an explosion of cases come from it. The likelihood there was a positive case attend the test is exceedingly low. And even if there was one, the likelihood they'd pass it on, given the controls in place, was also exceedingly low. Why cancel a major event over such a tiny risk. We live with risk every single day as part of our ordinary lives.

Eventually? The outcome is already probable, near enough to certain. The virus was always going to escape quarantine, it's purely a matter of minimising the damage from that. Regular testing of staff was an obvious control measure that they missed. We live with this in varying ways every day. It's a given that a sparky will die on the job every year, but we still demand electricity to be connected to our power points. In any case, what I'm saying is that we already have a system in place to receive inbound travellers from covid infected countries. What is the difference between any of those people and the tennis players in terms of risk? Why not run the tournament, we still need to live our lives.

State borders should never have been closed. They're arbitrary lines on a map. Closing them is the bluntest of decision making tools. As an example, where I live, I could drive 1000km to see my brother on Eyre Peninsula but I couldn't drive 20km to a town on the other side of the Vic border that the virus hadn't ever gotten close to. Dont be fooled into believing that government decision making is always correct.
As Kane has mentioned in a former post.
We are very fortunate to be in Australia, any other country would trade places with us, and that is worth sometimes making a more knee jerk reaction in some circumstances.
There is no right or wrong without hindsight.

As Kane has mentioned in a former post.
We are very fortunate to be in Australia, any other country would trade places with us, and that is worth sometimes making a more knee jerk reaction in some circumstances.
There is no right or wrong without hindsight.

I disagree with the last sentence. The nature of hazard identification, risk assessment and control is that you understand that bad outcomes are inevitable even if you've made a string of excellent decisions. There were lots of excellent decisions made in terms of controlling the risk of the virus escaping quarantine via a worker. We've had one case after numerous months. The fact it escaped that time doesn't make any of those decisions wrong, the nature of not being able to eliminate risk tells us that the escape was inevitable. Staff error, wilful negligence, it's going to happen. Knowing it will eventually escape means you don't need hindsight to realise that when considering a regular testing regime of staff the answer should have been yes. Answering no was a very, very bad decision and the reasoning they offered at the time was absolutely laughable. It undid the good work of all the other excellent decisions that limited the escape to one case over many months. Personally, I just assumed the staff were getting tested, it's unfathomable that they weren't.

Pretty certain I don’t like the sound of this.
Would pretty much end all forms of travel for all but the most dedicated of tourists. Even between states maybe.

Would pretty much end all forms of travel for all but the most dedicated of tourists. Even between states maybe.

Vaccination was never going to be the magic fix You thought it was. Still a long way to go yet.

Vaccination was never going to be the magic fix You thought it was. Still a long way to go yet.

Think you might be putting words in my mouth there.
Generally vaccination lets you pretty much forget about that particular disease. I’ve pumped enough into my kids and recently puppy to have an understanding that once vaccinated your set.
I don’t really see why this virus and the vaccines are different. Other than it just hasn’t been long enough to fully evaluate yet.
I still think in time we’ll just develop immunity like we have for flu.

This was always going to be the case. It's a good thing that all people understand vaccines now.
I've read papers from Israel where the vaccination rates are near 100%, yet have outbreaks through community and schools of pertussis.

I was speaking today of an advert on television advertising pyrethium based insecticide. In its natural form is low toxicity. Yet to create the amount required in industries we created an synthetic form. Unfortunately in its synthetic form it's highly toxic, yet it's advertised as plant based and safe.

Sometimes what is advertised isn't always what you get, and in the case of the WHO its a very smart move to be honest to people. People like you and I can formulate strategies for our futures. Mental health problems will be at a lower ebb, businesses can formulate plans to survive and still profit through tough periods.

This was always going to be the case. It's a good thing that all people understand vaccines now.
I've read papers from Israel where the vaccination rates are near 100%, yet have outbreaks through community and schools of pertussis.

I was speaking today of an advert on television advertising pyrethium based insecticide. In its natural form is low toxicity. Yet to create the amount required in industries we created an synthetic form. Unfortunately in its synthetic form it's highly toxic, yet it's advertised as plant based and safe.

Sometimes what is advertised isn't always what you get, and in the case of the WHO its a very smart move to be honest to people. People like you and I can formulate strategies for our futures. Mental health problems will be at a lower ebb, businesses can formulate plans to survive and still profit through tough periods.
You could definitely apply this to the old climate policy to. Just need someone brave enough to give us the hard truth.

It could be. I’m not sure if you’re a public servant and forgot the 😉
It was a joke. Although, health departments have done a lot of hard and good work over the past year. To say public servants are useless and then have NSW do so well with an outbreak is ridiculous.

Covid has shown that we indeed do live in a great country where politicians (both parties) are still quite sensible in times of crisis and where our institutions and governance systems are strong.

We also have inherent qualities that have helped e.g. Island, low density

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back