Food, Drink & Dining Out The Scotch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest addition:

bruichladdich_10year_old_2011.jpg

Latest addition:

bruichladdich_10year_old_2011.jpg

Been eyeing that one off. Any good?

I went to an Isle of Arran tasting a month back run by World of Whisky. On offer were the 10yo, 14yo, 12yo cask strength, Sauternes finish, Machrie Moor (their peated expression) and a bottle the Arran guy had tapped the previous month from a cask laid down in 1996.

On the whole I was a little disappointed. I have a bottle of the Arran Amarone finish at home and love it, so I had high expectations. Aside from the 1996 (which obviously can't be purchased) the 14yo was probably the pick of the bunch. But not enough to make me want to buy it.

Well there you go ....... lol I saw the heading "Scotch thread" and thought everyone posting on here would be mac something , and lots of jokes from people from, or about, Scotland :confused::drunk:

An Aussie whisky wins World Whisky of the Year!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-21/sullivans-coves-world-wisky-win-for-single-malt/5336498

A Tasmanian whisky has been named best single malt at the prestigious World Whisky Awards in London.
Tasmania Distillery's Sullivans Cove French Oak Cask took out the honour, judged against more than 300 other whiskies.

I actually tried this one for the first time last weekend and thought it was a great drop. Might have to invest in a bottle now!

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Recently acquired a Macallan 12 - quite good, but nowhere near the Glenfiddich 15 (less than $40 duty free from the USA!!) that I enjoyed last year.

Not a scotch, but my cheap daily bourbon Evan Williams Black has been reduced in proof from 86 to 80 and increased in price 43% ($35 to $50).

They're taking the piss.

I started drinking it around 10 years ago when a workmate lost a bet and got me one. I had a go at him because the bet was a bottle of Cougar (cheapest drinkable bourbon IMO), so i took it home and it was a pleasant surprise. Not only was the label a ripoff of the Jack Daniels label, but had surprising similarities. For the current price, I would just be buying what they are trying to imitate.

My current favourite scotch.. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, matured in port casks. Nice colour and great flavour with smoothness.

glenmorangie_quinta_ruban.jpg

All ya need is a bottle of Johnny Black in one hand and a smoke in the other.

Man, Scotch is just one of those things I wished I liked. The variations, ages etc... would be a wonderful thing to get into.

Was in Hong Kong after Xmas and needed to by the old man a bottle so I was at one of the Duty Free shops in the airport. Came across this glass case:

2014-01-17133212_zps72281c5e.jpg

In Aussie dollars - the one on the left is worth $34,610.71 in today's money, while the one on the right would set you back $40,193.09.

So my question is:

Would you buy these bottles?
If so - would you drink them, or keep them?
Also... would the whiskey be damaged by being kept in a glass case, standing up with the lights on them the whole time?

Intrigues me!

So my question is:

Also... would the whiskey be damaged by being kept in a glass case, standing up with the lights on them the whole time?

Intrigues me!

1. * no! There's plenty of incredibly good whisky for under $150. Some of it under $100.
2. Keep. At least there's a chance you'll get some $$$ back. I could never bring myself to drink something that expensive.
3. No

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try Overeem as well. Their Port cask matured is excellent.:thumbsu:

My dad actually lives in Hobart for work these days. Only ever heard great things about Overeem, and I'm planning on visiting the distillery next time I'm over there.

So I went to the Sydney Whisky Show yesterday. There were over 30 different makers exhibiting and the place was absolutely packed.

I wrote down the whiskies I tasted and tried to make tasting notes about the ones I liked, but after trying 35 different whiskies I gave up!

My favourites were probably the Kavalan Concertmaster (Taiwanese!), Macallan Ruby, Dalmore 18yo, Arran Port Cask, Lark Single Barrel and Bruichladdich Islay Barley.

Man, Scotch is just one of those things I wished I liked. The variations, ages etc... would be a wonderful thing to get into.

Was in Hong Kong after Xmas and needed to by the old man a bottle so I was at one of the Duty Free shops in the airport. Came across this glass case:

2014-01-17133212_zps72281c5e.jpg

In Aussie dollars - the one on the left is worth $34,610.71 in today's money, while the one on the right would set you back $40,193.09.

So my question is:

Intrigues me!
You can buy Glenfarclas in every year from the 50's to late 90's at a fraction of the price. I think they're the only mob to do it so it's great for gifts. Most are around $400-$700 and the really old stuff can be a few thousand.

I don't drink Scotch, I was given a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 as a present the other day. Good drop?

How old were most of you blokes before you could sip and enjoy Scotch neat, or with ice?

Last edited:
Glenfiddich 15 is quite respectable. Good to start with, not too peaty.

I developed a taste for Scotch in my mid-20s, when I started to really lose my sweet tooth. In my case at least, it is not something you start to enjoy overnight. It takes a while to get used to the strong flavours before you start to be able to appreciate them.

Even people who enjoy whisky can find certain varieties offputting. I am a big fan of smoky Islay malts, which my parents (big scotch drinkers) think taste like cresote.

Just started on the Lagavulin 16 Year Old. My oh my so tasty!

I don't drink Scotch, I was given a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 as a present the other day. Good drop?

How old were most of you blokes before you could sip and enjoy Scotch neat, or with ice?

Late bump, but probably about 22. I had worked in liquor retail for four years before that though.

I have worked in liquor longer than that of my proper job haha.

In-laws bought me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Platinum for my birthday, pretty nice. I think blends get a hard time.

Late bump, but probably about 22. I had worked in liquor retail for four years before that though.

I have worked in liquor longer than that of my proper job haha.

In-laws bought me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Platinum for my birthday, pretty nice. I think blends get a hard time.
Yeah and no. I mean I don't mind a good blend but I often think "hmm for that price I'll get a single malt". That said the blue is a pretty amazing drop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back