Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bought a cheap bottle of kakubin.

Terribly disappointing.

Any better Japanese whiskies?

The original Kakubin is a decent buy when you can get it for $40, but keep in mind it's pretty much Japan's Johnnie Walker Red. I don't mind having a bottle around to share liberally when I've got friends over. Kakubin 43 is absolutely shocking though. There's a huge number of great Japanese whiskies out there but they are generally massively over-priced. Prominent, well-known brands are Hibiki, Yamazaki and Hakushu and they're all good whiskies but if you spend the equivalent amount on a Scotch you'll be able to get something much better. Rather than spending $110-130 on Hibiki Harmony or Hakushu/Yamazaki Distillers Reserve I'd recommend picking up something like Kilchoman Machir Bay, Balvenie 14yr or Arbeg Uigaedail which are all amazing whiskies worth every cent.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nothing wrong with a blend. You like what you like. Dismissing blends on face value without tasting them first is pure snobbery in my opinion.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
I switched to blends about 6 years ago, when the single malt craze hit America and the prices went redonkulous. I still keep a bottle of Laphroaig for special occasions, but it's terrible value.

There are some wonderful blends out there, anyone who won't drink them is shooting themselves in the foot.

VineyIsLORD

Norm Smith Medallist
May 6, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Two airport whiskies. One single malt, one blend.

The blend is the Hibiki Masters Select from Sydney airport. Pretty certain its an airport only type deal.

Probably the most enjoyable whiskey I've ever had. Cost about $100, but there are just a tonne of different flavours and its really smooth. Great bottle as well.

Picked up a Glenfiddich 18 on the way back, haven't opened yet but pretty excited.

VineyIsLORD

Norm Smith Medallist
May 6, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah the Hibiki is a DF only bottle. Check the price of the Glenfiddich to what Dan Murphys charges, you'd be surprised. Nice easy drinking whiskey though.

Yeah that Fiddich wasnt really a great deal in hindsight, but its nice enough. I paid $125 for it, and Dan Murphys has it for $145 online. High end liquor usually isnt discounted much in duty free because taxes are based on alcohol content rather than overall price. So a strong scotch like Abelour Abanudh (or however you spell it) will be discounted more than a 40% speyside.

I went and bought another bottle of Benromach 10, its probably my favourite out of the four I've recently had (Fiddich 18, Hibiki Masters Select, Ardbeg 10 and Benromach 10). I'm new to all of this really, but I think my pallet is starting to develop a bit. All four are quite good whiskeys, but the Benromach 10 just seems so much smoother than the others, but without being 'weak' in flavour.

I can see why people get addicted to not just drinking, but collecting scotch. Its like a hobby. But a hobby where you can get drunk on delicious liquor.

VineyIsLORD

Norm Smith Medallist
May 6, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Anyone tried Nikka?

It comes in 500ml bottles and the bottles are really unique, a mate tried it and said he rated it quite highly.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Today I was at lunch and after we had eaten I ordered 3 glasses of Blantons for our table (nice bourbon and good value). Anyhow, waitress brings 3 glasses and I think I hear her say 'here's the Spreysides'. Thought I must be hearing things and didn't query. I sniff the whiskey and think, smells more like Scotch whisky to me. CBF querying as I am easily pleased and take a mouthful. What a sensational drop. The waitress then arrives with a bottle and says 'thought you might want to admire the bottle while you have your drink'. Benrinnes 21 year old cask strength. $80 a glass. * me. Enjoyed it though.

VineyIsLORD

Norm Smith Medallist
May 6, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
So now that Ive been on the single malts for a little while i decided to pick up a bottle of chivas 18 because i used to like it.

I can barely drink it. Just no flavour to it compared to even a much cheaper bottle like Ardbeg 10 or Glenmo

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Some early xmas gifts. You like scotch Dee Snider ?

image.jpg

VineyIsLORD

Norm Smith Medallist
May 6, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ok so ive been on a but of a journey (which is to say i have been drinking a lot of scotch).

Definitely like the islay whiskeys a lot more than when i was starting out. Lagavulin and Laphroaig are sensational. Ardbeg is nice too.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is a very nice scotch. The port finish is really great.

Glengrant 10 is a bargain single malt at 60 bucks and Suntory Kakubin is my favourite cheapo blend at only 40 bucks.

Nicks is the best website for purchasing online. Right now theyre doing glenfarclas 105 cask strength 1ltr for 105 dollars and Fiddich 18 (the best fiddich) for 100.

Highland Park 12 at 70 or so dollars is a bargain. Probably the best all around style scotch ive had, though i prefer the islay style.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok so ive been on a but of a journey (which is to say i have been drinking a lot of scotch).

Definitely like the islay whiskeys a lot more than when i was starting out. Lagavulin and Laphroaig are sensational. Ardbeg is nice too.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is a very nice scotch. The port finish is really great.

Glengrant 10 is a bargain single malt at 60 bucks and Suntory Kakubin is my favourite cheapo blend at only 40 bucks.

Nicks is the best website for purchasing online. Right now theyre doing glenfarclas 105 cask strength 1ltr for 105 dollars and Fiddich 18 (the best fiddich) for 100.

Highland Park 12 at 70 or so dollars is a bargain. Probably the best all around style scotch ive had, though i prefer the islay style.

This all sounds very bourgeois.

scotch night at your place!

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
I recently moved to Toronto and am sad to say that the whisky scene is pretty ordinary over here. Lots of cheap, but bland Canadian whiskies around and Scotch is about 25% more expensive than in Australia. However good Bourbon and Irish whisky are both significantly cheaper. Can pick up a bottle of Knob Creek for less than $50 and Jameson Caskmates for under $40.

I made the mistake of buying a whisky called Alberta Premium Dark Horse because it's got damn cool packaging. What I didn't realise until I looked up reviews to find out what is wrong with this 'whisky' is that they have actually added sherry to the whisky instead of aging it in sherry barrels, because according to the distillery that yields the same result....it tastes like someone spiked some cough syrup with nail polish.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
Anybody had any of the aldi whiskies? They have a few single malts etc as special buys.

Their beer is terrible, but their wine to my uneducated palate is good, so not sure about spirits.

Had their cheap bourbon, which was fine with Pepsi Max, but never anything better

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

04 Durif

All Australian
Jun 6, 2011
Albury
AFL Club
Carlton
When it comes to wine I'm a big red guy. With the beer it's an IPA all the way. Whisky I have tried many types and varieties but turns out my favourite is Jameson's. I was a bit disappointed in myself for a while for not liking a big peaty style like I thought I should then I thought * it you like what you like.
Kudos to everyone for mixing it up.
No doubt this is the ramblings of a successful Sunday session

Back