Rumour The 'Scully' Rule

Will a number 1 Compo pick for Scully be good enough in your eyes?

• Yes, a replacment pick 1 is very fair.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, nothing can replace Scully.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Wise Guy Sam

Premium Platinum
Dec 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Galactic Empire
This is not a thread on Tom Scully's contract and your views on his intentions to stay or go or how you know the mate of his Uncles bin man who is in the know.

It's a hypothetical and only a hypothetical.

If Scully decides that GWS is the place to be we will all have a renewed intrest in the lead up to draft day. Band 1, band 2 or band 1a, 1c, 2g or 5t are on the table as compo but alas not even the AFL fully understands the system and make it up as they go.

A opinion piece of the Herald Sun made me think about the following.
Have a read here (it's not very good...)

I would be interested to hear how you would feel if Vlad and friends came out and said we will get the very 1st pick in the 2011 draft as a priority pick. **let's not forget, this is a friendly discussion on what if, not what will be. I am well aware that would mean GFC got less for Ablett and how the AFL would rather GWS got all the good players for free**

Bit of talent on offer such as the big KPF from Vic Metro Jonathan Patton or maybe Stephen Coniglio and his great ability to do everything.

If we lose our previous number 1 draft pick it would be disappointing but I think a brand new pick 1 would make me get over it except of course when we see Scull kill Brownlow night and us twice a year as the AFL will love to create that viewer interest :p

What say you? Would a new Draft pick prevent you from burning down AFL house, would you consider it a really fair deal? or would you still scream bloody murder anytime anyone mentions sport?

While painful, I think a new number 1 pick would be a great result considering everyone else's compo and while I'd rather Scully I would move on pretty quick.

I would be over the moon, but it will never happen. If Geelong only got two first round compo picks (the AFL changed the rules for them) for Ablett why would the AFL give us pick one as compo for Scully?

It wont happen.

Id be happy enough if we got something like pick five for him, this is something that would be more realistic and worth holding hope for. No way the AFL will give us pick one.

Just read the article and it isn't at all logical.

He says that two first rounders is way over the top yet suggests we get #1.

Does he realise that those two first rounders would be at the middle and end of the first round? No club would trade pick #1 for picks say #10 and #18.

Does he realise that those two first rounders would be at the middle and end of the first round? No club would trade pick #1 for picks say #10 and #18.

Fremantle, gave up pick 1 in the 'super-draft' for Trent Croad, then swapped him back to Hawthorn for pick 20 sumthin and he became their premiership full back.

Cameron Schwab and Chris Connelly :eek::eek::eek: they should run the AFL. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

The number 1 pick is the only fair and reasonable compensation for losing Scully. It won't happen, but it would truly be the only thing that would slightly soften the blow of losing him to GWS. A pick in the early teens would be a massive slap in the face as he looks like becoming that gun that we have been longing for, for years. Hard to replace that...

anything other than Patton, then i would be disappointed.

Scully isn't just another player on the field. He's exemplary work ethic and professionalism shines like a lighthouse. It would no doubt shape the players around him in the right mold.

The picks would be one in the middle of the round, and one directly after our first round pick. So if we were to finish 8th it would be pick 10 and pick 13, with us also receiving pick 12 for finishing 11 from the bottom.

That is still massive unders. Unless we finished quite low and received picks 4 & 5 for example, I would be quite disappointed. If we were terrible and looked like finishing 16th (before GWS and the GC) and received picks 3&4 or 2&3 or whatever, it couldn't be overs.

Possibly the way the options were worded. If option 2 had been worded "No, I'd prefer he stays" or "No, We want more" or something, it could well have been different. As it stands, I think Patton fulfills our needs moreso than Scully. A forwardline of Cook, Watts and Patton in 4 years would have any backline leaking from their rears. That said, I hope Scully stays and it's not an issue...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not quite as concerned about our fwd stocks as most others are. However, Patton does sound like a cracker and as long as we took the best available mid with our "normal" pick (and then J Viney came along as expected), I think we'd be fine.

All far fetched and hypothetical of course, as the AFL would never in a million years give us no. 1.

Scully is worth more than pick 1. Because pick 1 gets you an untried kid with huge potential.

Scully's talents have been on show for everyone to see..... He is a ready made star that has fulfilled most of his potential and is tried and tested..

Back