The season so far - certainties and surprises

Remove this Banner Ad

See a this bullshit about Geelong relying on Dangerfield and Selwood apllies to any team.
Adelaide - Sloane & Betts
WB - Bontempelli & Wood
Richmond - Martin & Riewoldt

You take any top 2-3 players out of a side and it starts looking pretty average.

Even more impressive how Melbourne is coping without our by far most important player, Gawn, and our best forward, Hogan.

Expected - GWS, although they keep falling over the line - not the behemoth I was expecting

Surprised - Port, there NAB cup form was absolutely abysmal then they went ape-s**t round 1

No. But 2014 just felt much worse. I remember feeling just totally blown away by how Richmond had been completely obliterated.
Well, that's funny because while Richmond were being blown away I was thinking at least it's not as bad as the Roos a few years back.

Have noticed for years that Lindsay Thomas would contribute to North choking in final quarters by blocking the space of talls, limiting the midfielders from going forward and goaling, irritating the umpires, flying for stupid marks, giving away dumb frees, annoying the opposition, missing easy goals and making poor decisions.

As usual it takes Brad Scott 2 years to see the most basic of required changes.

Thomas goes out and team wins 4 out of 5 games including some close finishes after barely winning a game in over half a season.

Should've happened 3 years ago but it's a start.

That "seriously undermanned hawthorn" was still more experienced than Sydney.
That's heavily skewed by 4 veterans.
No it isn't, you just pulled that lazy comment out of your arse without doing any research. Hawks were more experienced all over the park. Friday's teams:

Games / Sydney / Hawthorn
Less than 50 / 10 / 7
50 to 99 / 3 / 3
100 to 149 / 3 / 5
150 or more / 6 / 7

Sydney... had four players on the bench, compared to two.
Your post conveniently neglected to discuss this at all? We lost a player in the first quarter, and a player in the second quarter. I was at the game and we ran out of legs badly - though to be fair part of this was down to the fact that Clarkson made us chase all night with his "keepings off" game plan.

Swans should have won by 10 goals. A side that made a grand final last year shouldn't be putting in performances like that
We lost to our more experienced bogey team, with two on the bench, by a goal kicked in the final minute. Tuck your agenda back in your pants.

No it isn't, you just pulled that lazy comment out of your arse without doing any research. Hawks were more experienced all over the park. Friday's teams:

Games / Sydney / Hawthorn
Less than 50 / 10 / 7
50 to 99 / 3 / 3
100 to 149 / 3 / 5
150 or more / 6 / 7

Your post conveniently neglected to discuss this at all? We lost a player in the first quarter, and a player in the second quarter. I was at the game and we ran out of legs badly - though to be fair part of this was down to the fact that Clarkson made us chase all night with his "keepings off" game plan.

We lost to our more experienced bogey team, with two on the bench, by a goal kicked in the final minute. Tuck your agenda back in your pants.
You are fighting far too hard to make excuses here. Your team played in a grand final last year and now you're losing at home to a Hawks team. You're blaming in game injuries and 'bogey' team nonsense and if that makes the loss acceptable to you then that's fine. I think it was a disastrous loss for the swans, even taking into account the in game injuries.

You are fighting far too hard to make excuses here. Your team played in a grand final last year and now you're losing at home to a Hawks team. You're blaming in game injuries and 'bogey' team nonsense and if that makes the loss acceptable to you then that's fine. I think it was a disastrous loss for the swans, even taking into account the in game injuries.
"You are using facts to back up your claims, and as an ardent Swans hater, that's a bridge too far". Got it mate, let me know when you decide to hand in your modship so that I can chuck you on ignore where you belong.

"You are using facts to back up your claims, and as an ardent Swans hater, that's a bridge too far". Got it mate, let me know when you decide to hand in your modship so that I can chuck you on ignore where you belong.
Is bogey team status a fact now?

As for games played - you're right. Sydney had less experience. But it's still quite damning that a midfield that contained Kennedy, Parker and hannebery couldn't get over mitchell, Shiels and smith and our backline of hodge, Burgoyne, hardwick, Burton, brand and duryea was able to contain the swans to 11 goals - five of them from one player.

The other facts that you're conveniently ignoring are the 5 or 6 x best 22 players we didn't have and the two debutantes. That is a very undermanned team - regardless of total games played.

Let's get back on track and let me ask you this - prior to the game on Friday night what did you think the result would be?

And prior to the season where on the ladder do you think sydney would finish?

My answers:
Swans by 60 odd points
Finishing between 3rd and 8th.

So you can see why I have them in the "surprise" category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back