Unofficial Preview The "Seeds memorial" early preview thread - Geelong V Essendon MCG Sat May 19 @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that they will keep changes to a minimum, just Hawkins & Scooter in for mine.

Fog was rested and will come straight back in. They love his defensive pressure and tackling. Him and hawk must be a lock. Scooter only if his back pulls up ok.

Parfitt and menzel will most likely still be another week away. 2 at most.

Im liking the way our injury list is slowly decreasing. Touch wood.

Now that Carlton have to make the trip down the highway, surely we must be getting closer to holding the "country" game in the closest thing the AFL have to a country town

44k on Sunday. Mother's Day I know but I can't see the crowd being any bigger on Saturday arvo with the Bombers going as rubbish as they are.

If they finish out of the 8, GFC should be lobbying hard to be playing them at home next year.

Every chance.

Yep it’s a massive danger game for sure.(no pun intended)
Yeah, I agree. Last year they smashed us. And the personnel for them are largely the same. Adding to this, after our three average games in a row, the playing group turned it around completely for the WB game. We looked a different side.

If the Cats are off 5% and the Bombers get a few chances and take them, then it will be a loss for us.

Yeah, I agree. Last year they smashed us. And the personnel for them are largely the same. Adding to this, after our three average games in a row, the playing group turned it around completely for the WB game. We looked a different side.

If the Cats are off 5% and the Bombers get a few chances and take them, then it will be a loss for us.

Too right. Complacency's alright for us fans in the stands, but complacency in the players' minds is nigh on unforgivable as far as results go. If the players think they have it 'in the bag' already and don't mentally turn up...

But

But honestly. I dont sit down and look at it and say this is so special for me been a country boy. I just hope we win lol

Me too, as a country girl. What is the point supposed to be for playing a 'country' game? They really should play the game up here in Uralla, to make it a real country game lol

Doubt we'd have the accommodation at our two motels to put up both teams + their entourages, but some of the Cats' players could stay with me + other townsfolk would put the rest up, I reckon.

Regarding the game, although this probably doesn't count, Essendon beat us in the preseason game too.

Looking at the Ladder:
Richmond 28 points 149.5%
West Coast 28 points 134.0%
Geelong 20 points 123.1%
Adelaide 20 points 120.7%
Hawthorn 20 points 117.6%
Melbourne 20 points 113.2%
Sydney 20 points 106.6%
Port Adelaide 20 points 102.7%

Six teams all on 20 points with only the % separating them. The Essendon game is a crucial game to win, to maintain all that was achieved with the Collingwood defeat.

Too right. Complacency's alright for us fans in the stands, but complacency in the players' minds is nigh on unforgivable as far as results go. If the players think they have it 'in the bag' already and don't mentally turn up...
We are guilty of this at least a couple of games a year. Incredibly frustrating.

I want to see us come out at full performance and smash this rabble. Not stroll out, take our time getting into the game and be 4 goals down at quarter time, and then have to fight our way back.

The criticism of Parsons has been way over the top. He was involved more than in any game this season and his first quarter was great. The dropped mark early in the second quarter looked like it hit his confidence abd he had a few poor moments after that but he did some other good things too.

He reads the positioning of other players and senses so well that he's always turning his body to protect the ball and I think fans sometimes mistake that for not being willing to commit the body. I think between his ability to sense pressure, get to the right spots and use the ball by hand and foot he's one of the biggest talents on our list and I'd be pumping games into him. He's got many similar traits to Breust and Gunston and could definitely become a very good medium forward.

Love that summary, and very apt username!

Fantastic post Footy Smarts!

I think many people fail to understand the role he is playing in the team. Too many just want to see tackles, marks, goals. It's similar to the criticism of Tomahawk, who is playing a different role this year.

Thank you for such an intelligent explanation of Parsons' role, I hope his critics understand your clarification + stop crucifying him.

I can't see how we would take this lightly. Even though they're in poor form and missing Daniher and Hurley, they have some excellent talent.

Merrett, Heppell, Smith, Stringer, Saad, Hooker, Fantasia, McDonald-Tipungwuti is a strong list on paper.

I liked Crameri's game last week. He's starting to get a feel for it again ... and he's still rusty which is understandable but he presents, is dangerous in the air and is good on the ground. He'll get better.

Likewise Nakia
As you say he's a real competitor and has that happy knack of finding the scoreboard - even when he has low possession numbers. Should have had 2 V Pies with that easy set shot that he missed. Happy days if he can average 2 per week
Interesting selection issue is can you play him and Menz in the same team once Crameri is match fit.

Last edited:
I truly don't understand why some are calling for Sav to be omitted or rested/managed? He is growing in confidence with every game and his "presence" in a big game without Hawkins as the main target was exemplary. In fact I suggest that as the game went on, his confidence grew, particularly in his pack marking towards the end. As we stand at the moment, he is clearly Best 22 and CS said last night on Fox Footy that Sav was the 2nd key forward/ruck (he's the best 2nd ruck option we have by a mile!) they have been hoping and looking for, fora few years now. His form and presence could extend Hawkins' career by a year or two if he continues to improve.
I expect we won't make any unnecessary changes this week, particularly as Essendon, despite being a rabble will come out all guns blazing as a response to a horror week.

In: Hawkins, Cunico (rested)
Out: Crameri, Scooter

Next week I think they may rest Danger and give Constable a run and may swap Line for Gregson if McCarthy has another strong showing in the VFL. Gregson was ok on the weekend but one can hardly say he's cemented his position.
I think Murdoch is doing enough to earn his keep. CS likes him because he's fast, big (6' 3" in the old) and puts a lot of forward pressure on.
Henry has to keep playing. GHS played VERY well on the weekend so deserves his spot for now.

Totally, absolutely + utterly agree with this!

Who can replace SavRat? I think his improvement every week proves that he is relishing his role. His endurance is improving + now he is getting in front of his opponent. He's like a sponge the way he focuses on what is required of him + the way he adapts + improves each game. All of his efforts, first, second + third are always there. While he is playing well, improving his endurance + confidence, + developing so well, I think he should keep playing. If he looked exhausted, I'd agree, but I think he is looking great. We need him against Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see how we would take this lightly. Even though they're in poor form and missing Daniher and Hurley, they have some excellent talent.

Merrett, Heppell, Smith, Stringer, Saad, Hooker, Fantasia, McDonald-Tipungwuti is a strong list on paper.

Our next 3 are very winnable and we should start favourites at home against North.
Fantastic opportunity to consolidate in the top 4 before we take on the Tigers - we had better bring it against them as I've shelled out for the air fare and tickets ;)

Fox Sport Injury List - Today 1pm
GEELONG CATS
Nakia Cockatoo (knee PCL) — 2-3weeks
Cam Guthrie (ankle) — 2-3 weeks
Lachie Henderson (knee) — indefinite
Daniel Menzel (groin) — test
Brandan Parfitt (foot) — TBC
Quinton Narkle (knee) — 1 week
Jed Bews (shoulder) — TBC

No update on the GFC website since 9 May.

I'd prefer Menzel to be given another week to ensure he is recovered. With Hawkins playing, I'd keep SavRat + Crameri, adding Fogarty.

EDIT: Addy reporting -
Scooter jarred his back at training + the injury is not related to previous back surgery in 2011.
Parfitt is close but won't play against Essendon.
Menzel - no return date. Scott said it's a strange injury that no one can explain.

Here is the link to read the article
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...y/news-story/ac242b59b412e96ffb7976bb4790c8e8

Last edited:
GEELONG CATS

I'd prefer Menzel to be given another week to ensure he is recovered. With Hawkins playing, I'd keep SavRat + Crameri, adding Fogarty.

Incredibly, in a month's time we might only have Hendo from our best 22 on the injury list.

Incredibly, in a month's time we might only have Hendo from our best 22 on the injury list.
Yes! Wouldn't that be fantastic? *fingers, legs + whiskers crossed here*

A lot of expectations of managed/rested from posters.

Given how tight the ladder is and how "gettable" the next 3 games are, I wouldn't be risking it. Changes will be forced ie Parfitt returning means "X" goes out IMO.

Talk of resting Sav is over blown. Unless his stats, and I don't mean kicks etc, but repeat runs, pressure acts etc...stuff we don't see....are tailing off then keep him out there. Fog was different because we have so many players that can play that role, to a degree, and he is a 1st year player. He may have been sore or gone through some KPIs they didn't want to breach. We will most likely never know the reason but given he was more "replaceable", the change was made. Can't expect that for KP players.

Get through this block of 3-4 games, hopefully be 8-3/9-3 and then look at potentially giving guys are break. Hopefully by that stage you have a bit of a break on the competition that allows for you to do it.

Can only assume that Hawk and Fog come back in this week at this stage which IMO forces out Gregson and Parsons.

Totally, absolutely + utterly agree with this!

Who can replace SavRat? I think his improvement every week proves that he is relishing his role. His endurance is improving + now he is getting in front of his opponent. He's like a sponge the way he focuses on what is required of him + the way he adapts + improves each game. All of his efforts, first, second + third are always there. While he is playing well, improving his endurance + confidence, + developing so well, I think he should keep playing. If he looked exhausted, I'd agree, but I think he is looking great. We need him against Essendon.

From what I have heard, the club asks the players after the game and the following days to fill out a wellness survey that asks how they are feeling by giving a rating out of 10 in a range of areas eg soreness. They monitor these ratings to determine if a player is getting tired. That is how I assume they come to the conclusion when a player needs to be rested or their training schedule eased off. There is no guessing done here in this regard, they do monitor the way the players recover. I doubt they would just say it's been x number of weeks, it's time to rest whoever. They would make that decision if a players recovery was getting slower. Except for Menzel, i'm pretty sure they limit him to 5 games at a time before he is rested. I'm pretty sure CS said that is the case with him.

GEELONG CATS

EDIT: Addy reporting -
Scooter jarred his back at training + the injury is not related to previous back surgery in 2011.
Parfitt is close but won't play against Essendon.
Menzel - no return date. Scott said it's a strange injury that no one can explain.

Here is the link to read the article
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...y/news-story/ac242b59b412e96ffb7976bb4790c8e8

That might be a week old cause Narkle played VFL on the weekend.

From what I have heard, the club asks the players after the game and the following days to fill out a wellness survey that asks how they are feeling by giving a rating out of 10 in a range of areas eg soreness. They monitor these ratings to determine if a player is getting tired. That is how I assume they come to the conclusion when a player needs to be rested or their training schedule eased off. There is no guessing done here in this regard, they do monitor the way the players recover. I doubt they would just say it's been x number of weeks, it's time to rest whoever. They would make that decision if a players recovery was getting slower. Except for Menzel, i'm pretty sure they limit him to 5 games at a time before he is rested. I'm pretty sure CS said that is the case with him.

That might be a week old cause Narkle played VFL on the weekend.

Thanks D@KP, very illuminating. You've taught me something.

So based on the survey, if SavRat is tiring + recovery time is taking longer, then of course he is rested. My observation about him is based on his performance, doesn't look to be tiring, if anything Sav continues to improve.

That injury list was posted today at 1pm. Perhaps Fox were unaware that Narkle played VFL ???

in: Hawkins, Fogarty, Parfitt
out: Ratugalea (rest), Parsons, Gregson

Don't think S Selwood is an absolute must as Essendon's mids struggle defensively anyway. Think Horlin Smith played well enough to keep his spot. Bit concerned about Rat as his movement looked impeded, especially after half time.

in: Hawkins, Fogarty, Parfitt
out: Ratugalea (rest), Parsons, Gregson

Don't think S Selwood is an absolute must as Essendon's mids struggle defensively anyway. Think Horlin Smith played well enough to keep his spot. Bit concerned about Rat as his movement looked impeded, especially after half time.

One of the reasons Essendon have struggled is because Merrett has been tagged every week and is well down on his career averages. If Scooter doesn't play, we need GHS in a defensive role on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back